Amps Similar to Peavey Delta Blues

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ibnrushd, Feb 9, 2020.

1. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Hello All,

I'm shopping around for a new amp and seeking some advice. I'm not very knowledgeable about gear. My favorite amp is the Peavey Delta Blues with 15" speaker. There are some used ones around my area, but I figured I might as well broaden the search to look at some other amps in a similar vein, and learn something while doing it.

Poking around on the interent, I see the Peavey has EL34 tubes (Correction:EL84 thanks!). Other than that, what should I know about it to find amps that sound similar?

I found some demos on youtube of a Tweed Fender Bassman that sounded nice to me, but I notice that uses different tubes. I assume the circuit is quite different.

I've tested out a couple amps in person. I played a Twin Reverb Reissue. It really didn't agree with me, though I know it is a classic amp beloved by many. Hotrod Deluxe and Deville sounded very good to me. And I played a vintage Super Reverb that I liked quite well. I assumed it would sound quite close to the Twin Reverb but, for whatever reason, I liked it much better. Perhaps the Twin was not a good one.

The Allen Brown Sugar sounds interesting and potentially similar sound to the Peavey at a higher quality/durability level. But I doubt I could find one to try before ordering.

Here is some relevant info:

- I play jazz and blues, some R&B. I generally use a clean sound. I like a "rich" clean sound, which I find the Peavey Delta Blues provides.

- I play a telecaster, an ES335, and an ES175.

- I play with a drummer from time to time, but never that loud. 30-45 watts seems to be sufficient.

- I like amps that are quiet. My only complaint with the Peavey Delta Blues is that some of them make strange noises. Probably they just needed repair, but I've never had one as quiet as a Headstrong Lil King I owned.

- Price doesn't matter that much. I have a working amp and I can save up until I have enough to get what I want.

Thanks all!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    naneek likes this.
  2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

IMHO...with what you describe 30-45 watts is waay overkill. I play a 15 watt fender tweed deluxe in a 5 piece rock band and tho i mic it up i dont need to. Princeton would be good for you....12+ watts of good tone.
    Good luck
    Cheers

ibnrushd likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Hell, I used to own a '68 Deluxe Reverb ( had to sell, dang $$!) and I could do anything with that amp.

Now I play a 1999 ( well maintained/ slightly modded) Blues Jr., and a Boss Tremolo ( modded, to NOT drop volume when ON- the trem. effect, is fine)

The volume of 15 watts ( tube), a good 12" and a good OD pedal is more than enough volume for anything I play or room situation

I'd try a '65 Deluxe Reverb RI or even The Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb , just as I like Deluxes

* Think a Delta Blues ( just like a Classic 30) uses (4) EL-84 tubes ( not EL-34's)

ibnrushd and kuvash like this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Vibroverb reissue too. However if you like that mid punch of 10s. Maybe the delta blues too like mentioned.

Fiesta Red and ibnrushd like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Deluxe Reverb is very similar to the Delta Blues, but if I was going to spend your money....it would be a Tonemaster Twin. It just checks the boxes better for the Jazz and those hollowbodies. You could dial it in at 22 watts and be golden.

Keep on Truckin likes this.
  6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

The Kustom Coupe 36 is nearly the same amp but with a pair of 6L6 power tubes instead of the quad of EL84s.

Came in a 112 version as well as a 210.

BB and Fiesta Red like this.
  7. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. I have a Deluxe Reverb and I have owned a Princeton Reverb (a Headstrong Lil King) in the past. Both were great but when pressed to sell one I preferred the Deluxe to the Princeton as I found the bass sounded more full on the deluxe.

Neither sounds as good as the Delta Blues to my ear, which seems thicker and richer. The Deluxe is nice, but it's sweeter and thinner sounding (to me). So I'm looking for something in that direction, to provide something a little different than the Deluxe Reverb.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

8. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Thanks! That sounds promising I'll check it out.

JayFreddy likes this.
  9. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I don't know of ANY amp that sounds like a Delta Blues with a 15. About the best tone of any recent amp IMHO. Plus, the only tremolo sound as round and pretty as a brown Fender Pro. I love the Peavey Delta Blues!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Keep on Truckin likes this.
  10. JayFreddy

The same guy who designed the Delta Blues/Classic 30 designed the Kustom Coupe. James Brown.

He has his own company now.

Email him.

https://amptweaker.com/about-us/

naneek, BB, scelestus and 1 other person like this.
  11. JayFreddy

Ps. I love the Delta Blues 210 and 115.

It's like a poor man's Blackface Super Reverb.

Try one.

Beware, the Super Reverb is expensive, extremely heavy, and highly addictive.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Peavey Blues Classic
    [​IMG]
    50 watts, 1X15, 3 x 12ax7 preamp tubes and 4 x el84 power tubes

Attached Files:

naneek likes this.
  13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Maybe because of the bigger cab and 15" speakers?

I have an all stock, 1990's first run Classic 30, and I still want a Delta Blues. LOL

14. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Great info, will do. Thanks!

15. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Yeah I had the Classic 30 back in high school. My first amp. It's also a great one but the Delta Blues has something extra special to my ears! Perhaps the big speaker and cab, as mentioned by dreaming tele. That's what got me interested in the Allen Brown Sugar, which also comes as a 1x15.

16. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Good call, I'll keep an eye out for these. I didn't know about this amp!

17. driver8

driver8 Tele-Meister

I would just get a Delta Blues. Those are great sounding amps.

Auherre756, Chris S., Wobbles and 4 others like this.
  18. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Yes I really liked the Super Reverb. Sounded more shimmery than the Delta Blues but still nice and full.

JayFreddy likes this.
  19. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

That's a tough call in my opinion.

Although I have a Classic 30 head and 212 cab I have found in my experience there is nothing in the Fender blackface line that sounds similar. I too find my Twin Reverb to be too thin and bright and prior I had a Hot Rod Deluxe that sounded good at home but just diminished in my band setting. The Classic 30 always filled out the sound in my experience.

To me they lean a little more on the British sound side of things than American. I always felt like a Vox AC 30 was probably the next logical step. They too have tremolo like your Delta Blues if the on board tremolo is important to you. For more money my next step would probably be something from Dr Z. I also think the Budda Superdrive 30 (another peavey affiliate) could be a possible consideration as well.

kookaburra and slickoneuk like this.
  20. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Could take a listen to the Fralin VVT as well. I use one when sitting in for both a jazz trio and a '80's rock band. They have the Fenderish clean tone with the bigger 15 inch speaker and a really great reverb.

Ever Wire likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.