1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps Not Used For What They Were Made For

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JoesTele, Sep 9, 2020.

1. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

I am not joking, I can not put the Volume knob past two. TWO and it is already very loud. I can only imagine what 10 would sound like. I'll never try it. Two is already super loud.

Here's my Billy Duffy set up. Note the Volume knob. At two. That's where I keep it and that amp still rocks as hard as The Cult.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    tabeck5 and Brian Krashpad like this.
  2. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I have an Acoustic Image Ten2. It is an 800 watt RMS bass amp with two 10" speakers and one mid/tweeter that I use mostly for guitar. A few jazz guitarists use them for guitar amps but this amp is mostly favored by upright bass players. Oddly enough, it takes pedals well. There is no natural distortion (it is Class D) but with the right combination of pedals or a modeler, a decent overdriven sound can be achieved. And it is great for those rare occasions when I play bass.

JamesAM likes this.
  3. wcmicroter

wcmicroter TDPRI Member

I do the same thing with my Rumble 40 and 25 bass amps...both sound good with bass or guitar..

harpdog likes this.
  4. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Plus one with my Rumble 100

5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I thought I posted this in this thread but I can't find my post. I have played guitar through my Rumble 100 at church and I am always not quite convinced I love the sound. But I was messing with it today some and it seems like if I turn up the low mid and high mid knobs to 7/8 it sounds more like a guitar amp and gets a bit more... headroom maybe? I did a test playing through my vox cambridge and the rumble one right after the other and I think the rumble is nearly as good. I would need a gain pedal though.

Attached Files:

6. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I've got an old Roland Blues Cube in my basement that I sometimes use for a step stool to get stuff off a shelf. Does that count? :lol:.

Bought that amp for a song, used and in fair-to-good shape, about 15 years ago to carry as a last-resort backup. It did save my butt once at a gig. It rarely - and I mean REALLY rarely gets used. I plugged into it a few months back and it still works perfectly.

7. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

I've got a little Squier 4 PA head that I actually really like using for guitar. It's packed up in storage while I'm moving house right now but when I unpack I'll snag a picture of it on top of the Acoustic cab that I found. Has great cleans and real spring reverb on it, and bonus, if I want to crank it up a little bit it'll do double duty as a good harmonica amp.

8. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

It's a long thread, so this might already be in there:

Leslie West. The sound of Mountain (and a great sound it was...) was him using a Sunn Coliseum PA head for an unintended purpose, using a mic input and subverting the concept of "correct" gain-staging by turning the input level up and the master down.
    Voila: Mississippi Queen)

Thoughtfree and Brian Krashpad like this.
  9. Lemonwurst

Lemonwurst TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

For about a year my stage rig was a Univox ULM-6 combo used solely as a tube preamp to warm up a Lab Series L5 set clean. To be fair, it was designed to do something like that, evidenced by the unique "Uni-Drive" preamp output with its own attenuator knob right on the front panel.

But in its day I bet it was mostly used as a small practice amp. Because the Uni-Drive output didn't defeat the internal 10" speaker, I decided to build a loop of large resistors to match the load and plugged that into the amp's lone 1/4" speaker jack (nice of Univox to put that in a budget combo). Voila, it's no longer an amp, it's now a heavy, boxy 12AX7-based tube preamp.

In retrospect I wish I kept that L5 and just learned how to get some tone from that. I was really using it only as a slave amp, so two guitar amps going simultaneously with neither being used for their intended purpose. Back in that era I apparently thirsted for complexity.

tubegeek likes this.
  10. Lemonwurst

Lemonwurst TDPRI Member

Ditto on those old solid-state Peaveys having great headroom. My 200W solid-state Peavey Musician head and matching 4x12 cabinet was atrocious for guitar - it didn't even take pedals well, but worked great with my 88-key Rhodes Stage piano.

Keeping clean with a Rhodes isn't easy. Its frequency range will wreak havoc on anything but high-wattage, high-headroom amps with flat, full-range speakers. Even the high notes have a percussive "thunk" to them. That ugly Peavey half-stack was the only thing that kept me from being buried by my volume-addicted bandmates.

[​IMG]

tubegeek and mexicanyella like this.
  11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Gosh that Peavey head photo brings back memories. My bass player had one that looked very similar. The graphic design is really unique. Kind of space age cool. Props to them for coming up with their own look. Back in the day (late 70s) these were certainly very respected rigs.

tubegeek likes this.
  12. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

They remind a little of the Roland Space Echo.

s-l400.jpg

13. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

I play pedal steel through a GK MB200 bass amp and a home-made cab with a Peavey Blue Marvel 12" speaker. Sounds as good or better than my Peavey 112 amp made for steel guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.