1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps Not Used For What They Were Made For

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JoesTele, Sep 9, 2020.

1. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Has a bxr 300 bass amp with a 15" speaker for a while. Nothing but clean headroom. Was nice with a slap echo in front of it. If I needed a seriously heavy, furniture sized amp I would have kept it. I did hook up a 5 watt 6l6 amp to the 15 a couple times, too.

2. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like playing guitar into my Fender Rumble 100

thunderbyrd likes this.
  3. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Really, have you contacted every Roland owner to find out if they used it for Jazz?? I'll bet Pat Metheny, Andy Summers ("At an early age he played jazz guitar. In his teens he saw a concert by Thelonious Monk and Dizzy Gillespie in London"), and Larry Coryell probably one of America's most famous ‎Jazz‎, ‎jazz fusion‎, ‎free jazz‎ guitarists, and many others would be pretty shocked with your claim? ..... Would you like catsup on the Crow you're about to eat?

As for the Fender Bassman, I can guarrantee you that every Surf, Pop Rock, Soul, R&B and Swing band of the 1950's and 60's that used Fender Amps, the Bass Player used a Fender Bassman as a Bass Amp, just look at any Album art for bands of those days. The reason, Fender was essentially the inventor of the "Bass Amp", there was essentially no other. While the Bassman (both the 4x10 Combo and 2x12 2-piece Bassman did become popular for 6/12-string Guitar, Harmonica, Keyboards, it was LATER. Again, 20 years of Album covers and concert photo's are the proof the Bassman WAS A Bass Amp.

Two helpings of Crow for you boy.

My Bassman's:
    1962 Blonde
    1990 1st Yr 1959 Bassman Combo RI
    1967 Bassman head w/ Master volume added
    1967 Bassman Head Master Volume
    1965 Bassman Double stack
    1965 Bassman 2x12 Cabinet open
    1963 Fender Spring Reverb Tank when you need reverb for a Bassman
    ... Oh, and my 1972 Fender P-Bass to play through any of my Fender Bassman amps.....

62 Fender Blonde Bassman.jpg
    59 Fender Bassman RI 1st year mint.jpg
    Bassman with Master Volume added front NO SN.jpg
    Bassman with Master Volume added rear NO SN.jpg
    bassman_stack.jpg
    1965 Bassman 2x12 Cabinet inside.jpg
    1963 Fender reverb Tank obl.jpg

Fender Precision Bass Olympic White faded 1972.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    radiocaster likes this.
  4. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Alrighty then

Jazzerclean and AlbertaGriff like this.
  5. closedmri

closedmri TDPRI Member

Modding old PA amps into guitar amps has been pretty popular lately

6. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Fender KXR 100 amp (keyboard extended range) for general acoustic and electric guitar use. Great uncolored buttery smooth tone.

7. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Maybe for the Lungs EP. After that, he got better gear as he put a band together, not the least of which was (according to the man himself):

- A double-cutaway Telecaster made by Flynn Guitars in Evanston, IL. Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pounders wired out of phase. Named "the Black Sled".
    - Notched metal pick.
    - Intersound/Tapco IVP preamp with a short delay in one of the effects loops (the IVP has two) and a Crown power amp.

The IVP has a "Tube Voice" setting that works by saturating a small-ish transformer. It is between the two effects loops, so you can place effects before or after it as you prefer.

At some point, he started using the famous Harmonic Percolator for a fuzzy boost, but it's not on most of the time. You can hear it on "The Idea of North" on Shellac's "At Action Park"; approximately 1:35 or so. He also didn't start playing the Travis Bean until Shellac.

JoesTele likes this.
  8. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

you mean Keith's guitar on 'streetfighting man' by the Stones?

9. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

You are pitting the numbers of one genre of music against ALL genres of music. You really think you are going to win that battle? Uhh, simple fact is there are more pop/rock/funk/new wave/goth...whatever players in this world than jazz players. If every single jazz player used a Roland JC (and they don't) that number would still be dwarfed by the number of non-jazz players who use them. Once again, there aren't as many jazz players as there are other genres of music makers. Once again I can safely say that Roland Jazz Chorus amps are used more by non-jazz musicians.

Co0lcat likes this.
  10. Co0lcat

Co0lcat TDPRI Member

I’m hoping this is a joke, as if it must be used for jazz or else!
    I used a jazz chorus In a thrash band. It took pedals very well.
    If this wasn’t a joke, I think you need to get out of your tiny bubble.
    By your idea, a jazz master guitar can only be used for jazz...”where’s the pop rock guitar?”
    Just when ya think you heard it all...

11. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

Congratulations. You have posted the funniest post in internet history. It has to be a joke post, right? You can not be this ignorant about gear, can you?

Uhh, the Roland Jazz Chorus was designed and voiced, get this, for jazz players! Thus they called it a JAZZ chorus. Get it, now? I guess you are also clueless that Fender designed its JAZZmaster guitar for, yup, you guessed it, jazz players.

Boy, just when you think you've heard it all, you come across somebody who wants to talk about Jazz Chorus amps, yet that person knows absolutely nothing about their history. He thinks they were made for Death Metal, but Roland didn't have those letters so they just put the letters J-A-Z-Z on the amp. You really don't know much, do you?

12. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have an old Crate solid state G20XL ... I almost never use it for guitar, it's kind of dry and sterile; but when on the fly for an impromptu jam I grab it for the 'PA', i.e. my vocal mic thru it. It gets used way more in this way, which sort of justifies its ever-tentative survival.

13. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! The Sunn is definitely it's own thing. Woolier than a Fender but not quite into Marshall territory. Here it is behind me at an outdoor gig.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    kLyon and JamesAM like this.
  14. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Also back in the day, when I was first pressed into service as a bassist, I used my '60s Kustom 100 1x15 tuck-n-roll guitar rig for bass. Verrrrry carefully. But surprisingly without apparent damage.

[​IMG]

maz96 and ElJay370 like this.
  15. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My first guitar amp was an old reel to reel tape recorder, I miss it.

maz96 and Brian Krashpad like this.
  16. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

An old Memphis MIJ practice amp with a line out being used as a preamp, running into a Roland JC55.

New Wave/Post Punk dirt!

Memphis JC55.jpg

maz96, Brian Krashpad and TigerG like this.
  17. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I have a Roland Micro cube that I use for practice or as a effects source.....I plug the line out directly into the input of a Roland 405 (plus various speaker extensions) The sound is very good....floor pedals don't work well for me. (necessity is the mother of invention).....

18. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I do the same thing with a Roland micro cube and a Roland 405

19. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

NICE! Those are great. I love mine. Got it new in the 90s. Plug the guitar into the high input and a keyboard into the low input and you have one amp that covers multiple bases. They're lighter than a JC-120 & at 80 watts, plenty loud enough.

Roland JC-77.jpg

20. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Never owned one or played through one before, but the 1950s Fender Tweed Bassman's were made for bass. However people soon discovered how good they sounded for guitar and they became a premier guitar amp.

59 Bassman.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.