1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps Not Used For What They Were Made For

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JoesTele, Sep 9, 2020.

1. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

OK, I have a Roland Jazz Chorus. I have never, ever once used it for jazz. And I bet most never used it for jazz.

The Fender Bassman was made for bass players....but I bet more guitar players have used it.
    Any other amps designed for one thing but used more for other things?

Jazz amp? I can't even play jazz.

[​IMG]

2. Tube Life

Tube Life TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

McIntosh MC2100, designed for hifi home stereo amp, but used as a guitar power amp. :D

302AA567-B67F-405D-A1F9-6D2121719481.jpeg

3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Late 80s Peavey Special 150, sort of a super Bandit, with a hair-metal distortion channel I don’t like much. I use it for lap steel, because it has a great clean channel, decent spring reverb and a TON of headroom.

Early 90s Peavey TKO115S bass combo. Sounds fine for bass, but not loud enough for me. I use it cranked as a jangly, dirty-clean guitar amp. With all the active EQ and the Scorpion speaker, it can get plenty bright for my needs.

I have some user patches in my old Zoom B2 devoted to guitar and lap steel sounds, and I play bass through a Joyo JF-16 British Sound for direct recording at the moment and sometimes use a Behringer V-amp Pro (rackmount guitar version) as a bass preamp...on the JC120 model, with cranked gain and pushed mids!

I’m sticking it to the man with signal paths, is what I’m saying.

Plug into everything and try it. Good sounds are hiding everywhere. Or at least fun, interesting ones.

W.L.Weller and BB like this.
  4. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

The Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp. Pretty decent little guitar amp.

5. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

red knob and reveira modded twin reverb heads i use for a doorstop and end table

6. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

KyAnne, CV Jee Beez, Tall-Fir and 5 others like this.
  7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Every single vintage amp played cranked for distortion is not used for what it was made for I guess.

8. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

mee loofs me soom mcintosh amps! nice pic:)

Tim S and Tube Life like this.
  9. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Pretty much every tweed amp when used for a harmonica, even though it sounds amazing. And the 5e5 for non pedal-steel guitar, but that’s kind of a stretch I think

El Tele Lobo and Fiesta Red like this.
  10. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Ashley Kingman, the guitar player for Big Sandy & The Fly-Rite Boys, uses an old Bogen PA head as a guitar amp when playing live.

Those old Filmosound movie projector amps are popular for conversion to guitar amps.

11. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

This is my Crate Taos acoustic guitar amp.

It's fine for acoustics, but it is far better with electrics. It offers a warmth and a neutrality that my electric guitar amps do not.

[​IMG]

The Taos is the amp I use when I play my White Falcon. The amp has a really fantastic slap back echo setting.

[​IMG]

Maguchi, Old Plank, guitrr and 11 others like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Has anyone ever plugged an accordion into an Excelsior?

[​IMG]

13. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

It’s funny you mention you don’t play jazz In your earlier post- This is now two solid jazz setups you’ve got that I am jealous of. I bet that big falcon with the mud switch on and both filters engaged would be perfect for bebop through that crate amp.

guitrr, Nahtabot and mexicanyella like this.
  14. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

:)

Funny you say that. When I do play my Falcon through the Crate amp I do say to myself, "Wow, what a nice, smooth, warm jazz tone."

Want something else to make you laugh? I even had these flatwounds on my Falcon. Note the name JAZZ!

[​IMG]

I guess I like a jazz tone. I just don't like playing it. (Don't know how, really.)

But back to the Jazz Chorus amp. It is far too sterile and dry for the warmth of a decent jazz tone. The JC is a great trebly amp for my Fenders and Rickenbackers. But jazz? That little Crate gets that tone far better.

lousy13, mexicanyella and JamesAM like this.
  15. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

I've got two of those Newcomb record players, one with 6v6's and a alnico Oxford 12" and the other has EL84's and a ceramic 12". Both of them are great guitar amps and were super cheap when i got them, $75.00 and $40.00 iirc.

wrathfuldeity and tubegeek like this.
  16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I used a little old tape recorder as my amp for about a year when I was 11. It sounded like a Vox Ac30 cranked.... when I had my ear pressed to the speaker. ;)

17. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I have a Sunn Alpha 4 powered PA mixer - nice reverb, sounds pretty good with a guitar straight in despite the input impedance being lower than ideal for guitar.

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting use of Ampeg bass cabinet by Josh Homme for his heavy sound in Kyuss. From reverb.com:

"With Kyuss in the early '90s, Homme relied mainly on a Marshall 100-watt JCM900 head driving an Ampeg 8x10 bass cab, a setup which was known to sometimes be augmented with a Tube Works RT-2100-ES head and Marshall 4x12's for live performances. This setup can be seen in photos of the band from that time period, as well as in the video for "Green Machine," and it was Homme's primary rig for the Blues for the Red Sun recording sessions helmed by producer Chris Goss and engineer Joe Barresi. Obviously, the JCM-900 is a fairly common amplifier for hard rockers, but combining it with a massive Ampeg bass cab certainly was an unorthodox choice that contributed greatly to Homme's signature bottom-heavy guitar sound."

rze99 likes this.
  19. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I bet that Gretsch sounds fantastic through that Crate Taos! Those are nice amps. I remember being impressed at how they sounded warm, but still had immediate, hard-hitting transients too. Zero sag, zero mud. Detail in yo face.

I played electric through a Acoustasonic Jr. for awhile and liked its spring reverb better than the Crate’s FX, but the Crate sounded as good or better than the Acoustasonic and was intuitive to dial in, even with the quirky pickup-equipped Silvertone archtop I was playing then.

JoesTele and JamesAM like this.
  20. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I plugged a guitar into the accordion input on a Reverberocket yesterday. It didn’t blow up or anything.

I‘ve used a Super Reverb as a bass amp once or twice.

Brian Krashpad and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.