amps for home use....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rjtwangs, Jun 22, 2015.

1. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times so I apologize before hand.... I am looking at buying a small amp to use at home, think bedroom/living room amp. I seem to be leaning toward one of the 5 watt class A amps being offered by Swart( STR-Trem, Vintage Sound, and the Milkman Half pint. I like the tweed sounds produced by both the Swart and the Milkman. I am not looking for a vintage amp, what I want is reliability and portability( light weight ) these amps all weigh under 30 lbs. I am aware of Quilter and have played them, they are very good for a solid state amp but I'm an old tube guy....it's gotta be a tube amp! Any thoughts, comments, wise cracks and any hands on experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.....

Rick

2. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

No experience with those amps, but I use a 5 watt modded tweed octal princeton for practicing. It's plenty for home and practice and absolutely not enough for jams/gigs...of course an efficient speaker can help, but then you'll likely fight it at home a little more. If you're truly only gonna use it at home then a class A single ended amp will be great for you.

3. Sixwire

Sixwire Tele-Meister

Champ 600

I like the Champ 600 if you run it in another speaker. Helps lots. Also like my Class 5 Marshall. Quite loud for 5 watts. Neither have any special effects but take a pedal well.

4. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I don't think Vintage Sound offers an amp with less than 15 watts as part of their standard line up.

I have a few 5 watters, and am really impressed with the Tungsten Mosaic MkII.

5. rjtwangs

Thanks for the quick replies, I should have mentioned that I want an amp with reverb AND tremolo.....and YES it will only be used at home or at the cottage...I am not looking for an amp to gig with....purely for fun at home....so the Swart and Milkman are at the head of the class for now....and yes The Vintage Sound has nothing under 15 watts.....so VS is probably out....

Rick

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Not alll tube, but a modeller with tubes, I use a Super Champ XD for these purposes. Wide variety of good sounds. Fits the bill superbly and super lightweight.

7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

played the Swart 5-watter with trem / verb for an hour or so, a few years back, and if I had the money -- and any conceivable use for it -- I would have bought it. just a lovely-sounding little amp. currently using a gibson GA-5 with a tremulator and an FRV-1 in front of it, which is officially Close Enough. but if I ever have a chunk of change come my way . . .

8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

OP...I'd steer you to the old tubes...why not if patient there are plenty of candidates. My home/only rig are 2 old amps with just a bit of bench time and will hang with any boutique or vintage. In the mole hole run a both and its glorious. One is a se6L6 with an alnico spkr and the other is a pp6v6 with ceramic spkr.

se6L6...real old school :p
    [​IMG]

pp6v6 ala 1949
    [​IMG]

9. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I auditioned the Milkman Half Pint 12". As I love Fender VibroChamps, but wanted more useable headroom, larger cab, and modern reliability it seemed like a great option. Really expensive, but if it totally fit the bill I was ok with it. The dealer allowed me to try it out for 5 days.
    When I received it, was happy with the lightweight cab, Jupiter speaker, and overall aesthetic. Turned it on, and clean tones were very nice. Reverb is lush, and the tremolo had a nice wide range. I like a vocal-like tremolo, and this delivered. So far, so good.

On the 12" (& I believe 10" too), Milkman has a VVR so you can drop the speaker volume while turning up the volume. But it was strange that this amp was pretty clean all the way up, so the VVR had the same effect as turning down the main volume. No real natural grind. So to me the VVR was an unnecessary expense.

Then, just as I thought I might keep it, one of the tubes became very microphonic. Things happen, maybe just a bad tube. MM indicates tubes are warrantied for 6 months. So I called the dealer to mention, and he asked if I could identify which. So I turned on the amp while on the call. Nothing, as in no sound. Everything lit like it should, but no sound at all. I tried a couple replacements in the preamp and power, but to no avail. Frankly I wasn't terribly pleased with the Ruby tubes at that price point. So I just decided that I didn't need the aggravation, and decided to return it. The dealer was very gracious, and they found the problem and resold the amp.

Moral of the story: contact Muchxs here on TDPRI. He can provide whatever you want, and likely a much better price than MM. He's building me a custom VibroChamp as we speak!

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Don't know how many of them there are around, but I have been happy with the VHT special 12/20RT I picked up second hand one a year ago. 12 Watts with the stock tubes (6V6) reverb and tremolo. The watts control allows you to bring it down to under 1/2 watt when required. I'm told the circuit is based on the Princeton Reverb.

11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

To the OP:
    )
    There - I feel better. So do the rest of the programmers on this site. :D

Why not a Mustang I, II, or III? Great sounds, and you can get them at low volume. Not tube per se, but many are going this direction - it may be worth trying out.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Unless you have distant/tolerant neighbors (and wife), 5 tube watts is generally really loud if you are looking for any breakup or even sonic complexity.

I echo unixfish's sentiment re: a Mustang, or some of the other excellent SS offerings (Cubes, Marshall Lead Series, Vox). To me they are a superior home solution.

Now I have my gig amps and my home amps and they generally are not interchangeable.

YMMV.

13. SybotCB

SybotCB TDPRI Member

Well, the four force amps are on clearance form tanga.com for $30 plus $5 shipping. So that might do for you. It's a Class A 5 Watt but it's solid state. It is however, supposed to sound very tuby.

I ended up buying one, and I'm waiting for it to come in now. Should be here on Wednesday. So I'll know more then about how it sounds compared to tubes.

14. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I recently got one of the Kustom 5watt heads. Incredible value for money. Well put together, very little hiss noise even with volume control to max. I was impressed, but... as others have mentioned, 5 watts is *very* loud. Even running an attenuator there was no way that I could get it to break up without annoying my neighbours (apartment living). I was forced to return it, which was a pity as it was a great amp.

15. rjtwangs

solid state is a deal breaker for me, it will be a tube amp

I appreciate the suggestions, first a solid state amp just won't do, period. I've tried Quilter amps, there are those that say they are the best ss amps out there....no thank you, simply not for me.....I want simple, easy to use, under 30lbs....period. I also require a great tremolo....and reverb is nice too.....there simply is not a lot of amps that check all of my boxes. Goodsell amps are another I'm going to check out. After reading thru all of the threads I can find on Swart amps.....everybody seems to really like them.....yes they are a bit pricey, but they seem to be well worth it.....The Swart STR-Tremolo is the one I'm leaning to....and I'd get it in Ocean Blue Sparkle....so on to the Goodsell's and see if I like them...

Rick

16. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Not sure why your leaning away from vintage. Sounds to me like a Fender VibroChamp and a reverb pedal and you'd be good to go. My '69 VibroChamp has the best vibrato of all my amps, records brilliantly and is a nice tidy lightweight package into which I put a 10" speaker via having MuchXS make me a replacement baffle.

17. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

Carr Mercury. Just add a Mad Professor "Mellow Yellow" trem pedal.

18. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

DeLisle makes a 5-watter with Reverb & trem, I think... it was reviewed in a recent guitar mag.

But you certainly can't go wrong with the Swart. Swart amps have built QUITE a reputation, and there's a reason for that: they are FANTASTIC.

19. rjtwangs

adding two more names....Speed Shop, and Louis Electric

Any thought or experience with these two builders?

Rick

20. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Forget the tubes, just get one of these:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.