Amps die at the funniest times... Silverface Vibrolux

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by AJBaker, Mar 25, 2017.

1. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

A quick update:
    I never found a definite answer, as the amp would seem to work whenever I tested it, but I was hesitant about taking it to a gig for fear it would fail again. I think I've found the most likely culprit though: a loose speaker connection.

It seems to run fine now, thankfully.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  2. Miguel-martinez

Miguel-martinez TDPRI Member

It happens, mine died in the middle of a show and we had no back up for it... Had to connect the guitar direct to the mixing console, and it sounded like crap...

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Pedalboard.

4. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Having an amp go down at a gig totally sucks - like losing a ski on a powder day.

(I guess if you are actually awesome*, you would always bring a primo spare amp, and have AT LEAST 2 more tune-up sets of boards hanging out in the truck.

And

*you would not have paid for any of it. Obviously.)

5. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

Check that brass(?) strip between the chassis and your controls. I've seen many a bad solder joint occur right there, causing intermittent cut-outs. Check all of those solder joints on that strip very closely.

Andy B, LudwigvonBirk and Teleguy61 like this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Another update:
    I had an outdoor gig recently that then turned into an indoor gig after a storm blew away the stage...
    I had the Vibrolux reverb as my main amp (changed some caps and set the bias before), and a tweed deluxe as a backup.

I played the first set with the Vibrolux, and it worked, despite having to replace the fuse.
    (The fuse: the amp says it wants a 2 amp slow blow, but since I'm in Europe with twice the jolts, it should be a 1 amp. However, the 1 amp fuse blew after one song, but the original 2 amp works ok.)

For the second set, indoors, I used the smaller tweed deluxe. As things got louder, I thought I'd try the Vibrolux again, but for some reason I had minimal (barely audible) volume with a lot of distortion, so I stayed with the deluxe.

Back at home, I plugged in the Vibrolux and it worked fine. I left it on for a hour, playing it at full volume from time to time, and everything seemed fine.

I'm confused. I'm thinking I should get some new 6L6 tubes, as I'm still using the original GE tubes.

This amp still doesn't want to be reliable, despite the great sound I get...

7. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Time for the shop.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you have a bad solder connection somewhere. The chopstick test is a good place to start. Also cleaning and tightening the tube sockets is a good idea. If that doesn't work, go see a tech.

9. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

Maybe all told, carrying an extra head in the car (van) wouldn't hurt. Check it periodically to make sure it works. I usually keep a couple of replacement packs of strings, and anything else I feel might bite me in the butt in the least opportune time. Having that old Fender Bandmaster head as a backup saved my butt a few times! These can double for a bass head, but the sound won't be the same; just in a pinch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.