AmpliTube, BIAS Amp 2 iPad Charging Guitar Interface?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Steerforth, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Somebody gave me a new iPad Pro, I think it’s a Gen 7, loaded with AmpliTube, BIAS Amp 2, Garage Band and all sorts of stuff.

It’s kind of fun to play with, but annoying because all it has is one Lightning Port, thanks to crApple trying to coerce everyone into getting their stuff MFi certified. So at present, I can use it with the iRig 2 that I have, but only for as long as the iPad battery lasts.

I’m trying to find a guitar interface with 1/4” input and output that will allow me to charge my iPad while playing my guitar, so I’m not dependent on the battery.

In short, guitar>interface>amp with signal processing from iPad while charging the iPad.

I could spring for an iRig HD 2 with an iRig PowerBridge, but one or the other is out of stock in the places that I’ve looked.

I’d like at least 24-bit, 96Hz with decent AD/DA.

Does anyone else make something that can do that without costing as much as buying a new amp?

Thanks!

2. Steerforth

In answer to my own question, the best solution for the price is the iRig Stomp I/O.

It’s 24-bit, 96Hz, with guitar to amp, mic input, MIDI, expression pedal, 128 customizable presets, lots of stuff, all while charging your iPad.

It comes bundled with a ton of software, all the cables, and the power supply.

Works with all the popular guitar apps on iPad, and works with iPhones, Macs, and PCs.

It’s won Editor’s Choice, gold awards, all sorts of stuff, and they say it’s ruggedly built.

It retails for around $299.

So I ordered one. Now I can add a bunch more stuff to my pile of real amps and pedals. Like I needed more amps and pedals, LOL!

Oh, and you can use headphones with it. Mrs. Steerforth will be happy.

So there you have it. More guitar stuff with which to tinker.

3. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

For about $30 or $40, you can get a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter/splitter that would let you plug in your Irig2 into the IPad and still be able to charge it at the same time. I found a generic product at Walmart for $9, but it only lasted a week. Belkin seems to be the certified brand, but there are other similar adapters. I use mine for an IPhone SE.

Also, I wanted to mention there are a couple of newer apps for IOS that are really impressive IMO. The Overloud TH-U app is newest. The basic amp models you get for free sound awesome. To me these sound better/more realistic than anything I’ve heard on AmpliTube, GarageBand, AmpKit, Bias FX2, Deplike, etc. If you want more amps and fx, there are different options at reasonable prices.

The other newer app is from Mooer called GE Labs. The amps aren’t quite as good as TH-U, but you get dozens of amps, cabs, preamps, fx, etc. all for free. You only have to pay for the ability to save presets at different price levels. TH-U is probably worth the price for the full package, but if you’re cheap and don’t need to save presets, GE Labs is unreal. The overall sound quality is very good, but I do notice some small artifacts/noise. Hoping they can fix that in updates to the app.

Also, this app allows you to “profile” and share your own amps, cabs, preamps and drive pedals via the Mooer cloud, so that’s a great bonus too. Profile downloads are free, but you have to purchase one of the preset packs to download other people’s presets.

Just passing along these tips as these might be cheap ways to stop someone’s GAS for an expensive modeler or piece of gear.

Steerforth likes this.
  4. Steerforth

Thanks for the tips!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.