1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amplify the Gretsch Honeydipper

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by AznGuitarist31, Jan 21, 2021.

1. AznGuitarist31

AznGuitarist31 TDPRI Member

Hello, it's been a while since I've posted. Not a telecaster question, but I've seen a few posts on resonators here. I just got the Gretsch Honeydipper, I want to learn some things on it before i take it apart lol, but looking at the best way to amplify it. I am willing to drill holes in it, but as few as possible. First though, is it best to put a pickup below the neck or in the biscuit? What are the tonal differences. And what would work best for overdrive? This is the main reason why I want to make it electric. I've seen 2 from Lace Sensor:

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/JzKivaYto2ERxtnztB2G3.jpg - humbucker
    https://www.bluestarmusic.com/assets/images/l/lace_dobro_sensor_jack.jpg - Single

The Schatten pickup: https://www.bluestarmusic.com/assets/images/s/schatten_nr-2_biscuit.jpg
    The Cling on: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1759/2323/products/[email protected]?v=1571824983

Usually I just get the highest output I can find and pump a ton of distortion though it. But working on a resonator is a totally different animal, that's why i'm asking for advise :)

Roscoe295 likes this.
  2. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I've got the single coil Lace Sensor on a cheapo SX spider bridge resonator.
    The tone is kinda halfway between an unplugged resonator and an electric lap steel.
    Really important: depending on what you plug into, you need something (EQ, preamp, passive bass cut pot) to reduce the low frequencies - or else you'll get howling feedback!
    Also important: string choice - with regular acoustic strings, your unwound high strings will be a lot louder than the wound low ones (and there's no way to adjust this with pickup height, as the Lace is stuck to the guitar with double-sided tape). I use GHS White Bronze strings, those work reasonably well.
    When I was still playing that dobro with a loud band, what I ended up doing was using a microphone in addition to the pickup - the microphone for getting a basic "unplugged" tone, and the pickup for adding volume, without feedback, eg. when taking a solo.

No experience with the other pickups you mentioned...

Obsessed and Roscoe295 like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, Lace makes a low profile pick-up just for resonators that sticks to the top of the body just below the fretboard. Keb Mo uses one if you want to check out the sound on YT. I have been considering one for myself.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know if a Gretsch Deltoluxe will fit on the Honey Dipper, maybe with some modification to the pickup's base. I like how it sounds in my cheapo Rogue acoustic. Check around for deals on them. I paid $47 for mine.

20210107_092255.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. AznGuitarist31

AznGuitarist31 TDPRI Member

Thanks. I was looking at the deltodeluxe as well. I don't think it will fit w/o modification. I'm looking at the Schatten right now. I contacted them and he said he would make a custom bracket for the gretch. [​IMG]

By going this route it wouldnt require any drilling. I just have to see how it would work with overdrive

RomanS likes this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Bob Brozman said the best way to amplify any resonator is to point a SM57 towards the sound holes. That is all I've ever used on mine but if I was going to gig it regularly I would put an internal mic in the upper bout and aim it towards the cone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.