1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amplifier Power

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Jon Snell, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

I have just come across this sentence on another blog I write for and thought it will make a few people laugh as it did me. It is a classic :lol:.

How to list the power output of an amplifier.

"It’s fairly straightforward.
    The mains power (240V at up to 10A, or 2400W max hereabouts) is fed through a transformer with around 85% efficiency, giving us say 2100W max, then rectified and filtered, then fed through a class A-B power amp with maybe 60% efficiency, giving us say 1200W max from a mains plug.

Finally they feed the power through a complex marketing bullish!t network, and put 4kW out to the speaker.
    Funny enough, the whole mess only weighs a couple of kilos, so it must be terribly clever".

Thanks to RayLi for this gem.

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hampliflier power is measures in PMPO ( spullink deliberut )
    PMPO is a spurious grouping of capital letters. Some, mistakenly, believe it stands for 'Peak Music Power Output'. This alone is a nebulous term, open to interpretation and swift back-pedalling when questioned regarding the relationship between sustained output at tolerable levels of clipping and the price of cloud paint at the sky-hook shop.
    PMPO is actually the initial letters of the thoughts of the specification copywriter as they mashed the figures into the document. 'Perhaps My Partner Ovulated' This ties in with the response of anyone reading said spec sheet...' Get fecked!'

2L man and Jon Snell like this.
  3. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

The old Mike Matthews Freedom Amp of the early 1970s was rated at 300 watts which I suspect was PMPO. The cheap all-in-one stereos of the same era such as Electrobrand often were rated PMP or Music Power. Another nearly imaginary number was IPP or instantaneous peak power, a rating that made a modest club amp appear capable of playing a stadium gig

These measurements were the electronic equivalent of dropping a Ford Pinto from an airplane at 10,000 ft to estimate its top speed.

BobbyZ and Jon Snell like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.