1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amplifier circuit boards on ebay - it is good start for build?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by LiteAsh, Jul 12, 2017.

1. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

2. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

I would go for getting a kit or sourcing it all myself. How much could you save on the board, 100 max? I bought a 5E3ish board from ubuy guitars but that is an eyelet board and it is handwired. I built a single ended 5E3 and was very happy with the results, it was like $20 though.

Just saying...

sds1 likes this.
  3. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

I'm new to building amps but I got my feet slightly wet on these reissue circuit boards, I can tell you that you can maybe learn a lot starting here but I didn't give it much chance, they are a pain in the butt to work on and I found the experience overall frustrating and unrewarding. So instead of continuing to work on the reissue board, I'm building a handwired circuit to take its place. Just like the eBay seller did on this Princeton RI...

Excited to see that you can resell the reissue boards though, if I can get $75 for my TRRI boards I will be stoked!!

Anyhow, I look forward to reading the opinions of more experienced builders here.

4. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Holic

Personally, I wouldn't start with a PCB like that one. All of the expensive parts in those amps are off the PCB, and assembling the circuit board is not the most time-consuming part of an amp build. Building with an eyelet board will be more satisfying, easier to troubleshoot and mod and probably not much more expensive.

sds1 likes this.
  5. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Not to mention it would be difficult to reuse the board because of the manner in which the pots/jacks/etc. are connected. Conversely, it's about $200 in parts (board, components, jacks, pots) to take a reissue and handwire it.

You'll spend way more than $200 putting that RI board into a head with chassis/transformers/sockets.etc...

6. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

Thanks for quick replies:)

7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I think soldering all the components on the board is one of fun parts of building Amps. I like having control of placing everything on the board making it look nice & neat. The end results, is having truly hand wired Amp. I’m sure using that PCB board you would end up with a working amp but building a hand wired board you would learn more have total control of components just a lot more rewarding. I kind of look at as building a guitar compared to building a parts guitar. I also think if you haven’t price everything out to complete that Amp. buying a complete kit might cost less.

kleydejong likes this.
  8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Man I had no idea there was a market for selling the pulled circuit-board guts from reissue amps. Are people buying reissues with the intention of having them re-hand wired and then simply selling the guts off?

9. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

It didn't occur to me either, but makes sense there would be a market for them on the repair side.

I have seen via Facebook recently a well-known amp builder that is buying up brand-new reissues as donor amps. For the prices he resells at he doesn't need to resell the boards on eBay though.

10. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.