Ampeg SuperJet Reissue SJ-12R

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by willpayne, Dec 30, 2014.

1. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

I recently purchased an Ampeg SuperJet SJ-12R Reissue from the 90s. I haven't had a lot of time to play on it because I'm in the middle of moving, but I really enjoyed the tone. It kind of has a tone similar to a DRRI but with a little bit more fatness to my ears. It has EL-34s and the seller even through in some brand new Mesa Boogie EL-34s that haven't been used.

I've done a little bit of digging on these amps, but most of what comes up is the SJ-12T with the tremolo. Anyone know anything about the Reverb-only version? The reverb is kind of weak. It's nowhere near as good as my DRRI, but it's decent. Every other Ampeg reverb I've heard has sounded pretty bad. This one just doesn't really do much once you get past 2-3. The tank on the back seems pretty tiny.

I know they are known to have tube rattle, the previous owner has put some foam in there and it doesn't seem to have any rattle. It's been around the block a few times so it's not the prettiest amp I've ever seen, but I got it for $250 with brand new replacement tubes, so I'm happy.

These amps are supposed to be 50 watts. That seems like a lot, but the manual backs this up.

Here is a link to the manual: http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SJ-12R.PDF

At any rate, I bought it as kind of a backup amp when I need it. It won't be my main gigging amp. I do like the fatness in the tone. Would love to know if anyone else has any experience with these.

2. schroeder

schroeder Tele-Meister

I just looked at the schematic. The reverb tank is IC driven, not tube. It is likely functioning as intended, but you might look into a replacement tank - either larger, or a newer one. There could be something wrong with the tank. Unfortunately, I don't have any direct experience with this amp. Always worthwhile to compare other amps if the same type to make sure yours is running right.

3. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

I had one years ago. The reverb on mine was pretty weak as well.

4. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

same here. . .nice amp but weak reverb

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.