Ampeg Reverberocket 1962

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Jon Snell, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Look what has come in for repair, IMG_0247.jpeg
    this nice little Reverberocket in excellent condition.
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    Fault report is crackles on everything after a while
    IMG_0247.jpeg IMG_0249.jpeg IMG_0252.jpeg
    I owned two of these, one from 1961 and the other from 1965. Sold them for a song, literally. Needs must, anyway I bought a nice 1965 Harley XLCH1000 with the proceeds. IMG_0253.jpeg
    I will keep the existing cans and fit new electrolytics inside them, it will help to keep the value and post updates as I progress.
    Hope you find this interesting.

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

A nice look at the business end
    View attachment 742174 The amp was recently re valved, Sovtec 6SN7, Philips 6V6GTs, 6SL7s made in Slovenia and not sure about the 5Y3. Those are not questionable as they are all reading good on my recently calibrated AVO 160 Valve Analyser.

Attached Files:

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Looks in really good condition, which is strange because it has a non-original handle. They're hard to find in condition that good.

I have a 1960 Reverberocket R12-R (2x 6V6) that is still going strong. It's been recapped and the original speaker dropped the voice coil so I stuck a Weber Blue in it. Three input jacks for guitar, mic, and accordion! Great amp.

[​IMG]

4. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Nice.
    This one still has the Jenson speaker in there.
    More photos to follow.

5. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

Great sounding amps. A band mate back in the late 70’s had one and I loved it.

tah1962 likes this.
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Those are sweet amps. I had a chance to buy one from a buddy of mine several years ago and didn’t do it. I’m still kicking myself.

7. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Well .... not good.
    Took the back off to find the mains transformer is wrong, as is the three de coupling capacitors.
    All that work and the old carbon resistors and electrolytics are still there.
    Also, there is some black gunge on the chassis, to be investigated.
    Internals_0265.jpeg IMG_0267.jpeg
    Customer is being contacted regarding a full refurb but I won't hold my breath as there is a lot to replace to get it up to my required standard.

To be continued .....

as5431 likes this.
  8. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

That was quick ... get it up to spec and leave the transformer. That is acceptable as the transformer has the correct ratings.
    Onwards and upwards. Parts will be ordered as soon as a parts required list is compiled along with any obvious faults.

dan40 and tubegeek like this.
  9. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Interesting that it found it's way to the UK!
    A lot of those were built here in New Jersey, and they were EVERYWHERE in the 70s. I played a borrowed one for a few years as a grab and go. I knew 5 or 6 people that had them too.
    Lovely Reverb and Trem, I wish I'd have found a way to keep it.

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Nice save, Jon.

It's a Refurberocket!

11. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Nice! Mine is a 1962 just like that one. It is a SWEET sounding amp. I look forward to the rest of the thread.

12. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I have the 6SN7/7591 Rocket R-12A, mine is in decent shape but indeed, the handle had to be swapped. I have the old handle for whatever reason.

I could use ONE clutch screw if anyone has an extra.

13. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Post a pic of the screw you need. I may have one rattling around in the parts bins.

[​IMG]

MickM, Tommy Biggs and tubegeek like this.
  14. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Are you sure that it originally came with 6V6? My own 61 Reverberocket came with 7591. It has a tube chart with 6V6GT that had been crossed out and 7591 was pencilled in. Apparently Everett Hull hated the idea of any distortion in his amps, so the Reverberocket power tube was changed to 7591 pretty early in the run due to complaints of jazz players. I had mine switched back to 6V6 & it sounds killer. Way cooler than any Princeton Reverb. I believe the Reverberocket is the first amp to feature onboard spring reverb. This link has some other cool historic information. Ken Fischer was a fan of the amp:

https://www.vintageguitar.com/15188/ampeg-r-12-r-reverberocket/

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

It is the first amp with onboard reverb.

16. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

That is pretty !!!:

Input jack may need cleaning IMO ...

Or new tubes and a cap job ???

I'm guessing three to five bills for a good repair job...

17. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

I always hate when you open something up and find a hack job.

My Conrad-Johnson PV1 had some creative "fixes" to the power supply and hummed like crazy. Ended up doing a complete rebuild.

18. timfred

timfred TDPRI Member

I’ve owned the R-12R T (7868 tubes) and currently have an R-12R B (7591 tubes).

Hint: On both of mine, the voltage divider resistors in the paraphase PI had to be replaced. The balance in the PI is sensitive to the relative values of these 470k/470k or 470k/510k resistors and they will have certainly drifted.

Hint 2: if the amp still has the death cap, getting rid of that leaves a space on the eyelet board for one of the caps now in the cap can. Also, you can add the power tube cathode bypass cap to the board across the bypass resistor. That should leave only 1 or 2 caps left in the can.

The oft-repeated story about Hull going to 7591 tubes for a cleaner sound makes people think that 7591s are inherently cleaner tubes than 6V6s. 7591s are more powerful tubes, and Hull used that to increase headroom by increasing NFB in later amps. Changing the NFB resistor from the later 5.6K back to the original 10K will restore much of the legendary breakup of the 6V6 model, just a little louder.

elihu likes this.
  19. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Getting there.
    IMG_0276.jpeg IMG_0277.jpeg IMG_0278.jpeg
    I have replace all of the resistors that had drifted, especially the first stage anode load that read over 2M!
    We wonder who overloaded the 5Y3 with a 47uF hanging from the output transformer to the wrong chassis point. That cured the hum issue and the crackling was dirty valve pins, caused by years of switch cleaner build up on the bases.
    A good clean and also my fibre glass pen on the input sockets then time to test it properly.
    Now thugh, it is time for a Speckled Hen and something to eat.Until the next time.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  20. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

IMG_0279.jpeg
    Ampeg started using 7591s in 1963 from what I remember. Plus the R12 RT used 7868s.
    Here is the line up label inside the amp box;

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    stevemc and slider313 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.