Ampeg Lovers Club-Not that we need one

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by HOBBSTER01, Jun 13, 2009.

1. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Got some quality time in with the J12T this aft, playing my Gretsch Thinline with DeArmond 2000s. Nice, jazzy darker tones, great resonance, I'm digging the combination! I can get similar tones from my Vibroverb but I can hit the sweet spot at a lower, more practical volume for practice.
    Even though it's a reissue and may not have that 60's Ampeg tone, it still checks a box for me in my tonal spectrum!

savofenno likes this.
  2. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

I just got this super clean '66 Jet 12-T last week. It's the cleanest blue diamond era Ampeg I have ever seen. I have a '65 Gemini VI, but that's not leaving the house, whereas the Jet is less than 25 lbs. It appears to be *very* lightly used and all original except for a Jensen C12R, which is fine with me as I've replaced the speakers in every vintage amp I've ever bought.
    Being all original, I played through it using my wireless to preclude shock, just to hear it, and now it's off to the tech for three prong and a cap job. jet.jpg

3. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I have a vintage B15 ... I haven't used it in years but it was great back in the '60's.
    I'm too old and out of shape to carry these things which is why I don't own them ... but a I love the V4's, The Reverb Rockets and the Gemini II .... played through them all. Even the B15 is too heavy for me to carry around these days .... Wish I had that Gemini II back minus the hernia. These are all great sounding amps.

savofenno likes this.
  4. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

My new 65 Reverberocket. Excited about having a vintage Ampeg for that Deluxe Reverbish slot in the herd. Screenshot_2018-08-27-19-18-20.jpeg

5. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I've been really digging my '65 Reverberocket with my semi-hollow guitars. Nice, smooth and jazzy at lower volumes, raw, edge of break-up at higher levels. Nice!
    The amp came with a Jensen Mod speaker - 12-50 I believe. It sounds ok, but I'm wondering what a speaker closer to the original spec would sound like. From what I've read it originally took a Jensen Syntox or Concert Series ceramic speaker. What would be a good, vintage replacement?

savofenno likes this.
  6. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

Patriot red white and blues sounds awesome in Carr's Sportsman - an amp with similar topology.

I wont reveal my favorite speaker for this type of amp because I have one - ONE - 1!!!! - and after looking for almost 2 years I have yet to find another.

Oh, did I mention that I have 2 Reverorockets? :D

7. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

So I found a Jensen C12R Syntox model from another Reverberocket. It needs reconing so I sent it right out to Weber.
    Im a bit OCD when it comes to this stuff. Can't wait to see how it sounds!

twotone60 and savofenno like this.
  8. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

My '66 Jet came with an Italian-made Jensen Reissue C12R. I would have probably gone for the C12Q, but this speaker seems to be a great fit with a tight low end.

9. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Got my Jensen Syntox back from reconing by Weber. Popped into the Reverberocket last night. Even though it's not yet broken in, it still sounds great and fits the vintage of the amp![​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

-Hawk- likes this.
  10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I played my RR2 a couple weeks back at bar gig.

[​IMG]

I tend to just use it occasionally, but always enjoy when I do. That night I was positioned in a spot that made it just never sound right on stage, but luckily I had my wireless and went out in the seating area. Sounded excellent out there.

emisilly likes this.
  11. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Cool! I'd love to gig my Reverberocket but my old band played loud and nothing less than 40 watts would do.
    I'm getting together with some guys next week. I'm thinking the 18 watt 'rocket will fo the trick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

12. glumlord

glumlord TDPRI Member

NAD! My ‘64 J-12a Jet was delivered today! I will upload some pics tomorrow.

Original speaker, all original-ampeg branded tubes, it will need a new handle but the tolex is in great condition. The person I bought it from said it was recently serviced and well maintained. I haven’t opened it up to check the guts but 3-prong plug installed as advertised.

Installed the tubes and fired it up. Noticed immediately that on certain notes that there is some tube rattle-makes a rattling sound when power tubes are tapped or the amp is moved while on.
    I did notice that the sockets seemed a bit loose when I was installing the tubes, so i’m guessing that is the culprit.
    I’m Looking forward to spending some time cleaning and retensioning the tube sockets and putting some of the knowledge that The Truth About Vintage Amps podcast has imparted to me to good use!

The tone is perfect! I can’t wait to get it in a room where I can crank it up a bit. Just upon first play I was running the volume at about 9 o’clock and the tone around 2 o’clock. Immediately rewarded with big, full, and round clean tone that could tell was starting to compress a bit under my fingers.

I’ve been waiting to re-join the club ever since I sold my ‘66 Gemini I a couple years ago. Glad to be back!

emisilly and -Hawk- like this.
  13. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Just noticed this club. :)

Here's a photo of my 1970 GU-12, with my other amps.

It's a 1x12" 20 watt combo. 2 x 7591 12ax7 6U10 12DW7 original Ampeg labelled tubes with reverb (echo) and tremolo.

Love this thing! :cool:

my amps.png

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    savofenno, -Hawk- and emisilly like this.
  14. glumlord

glumlord TDPRI Member

Just realized I never got around to posting a pic of my recently acquired ‘64 Jet J-12a. This was taken a few weeks ago when I was doing a sound-tasting with a few delay pedals. The Baritone sounds just incredible with this amp. So clear and clean with the volume around 10 o’clock. Not overly bass heavy, just gigantic.

[​IMG]

emisilly, Electric Warrior and -Hawk- like this.
  15. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

20191207_215121.jpg

B18x Portaflex

Bandboy and emisilly like this.
  16. glumlord

glumlord TDPRI Member

First off, happy New Year! I apologize in advance for the long post, but i’m looking for some opinions and guidance on speaker replacements for my Jet J-12a. I’ve kind of narrowed it down to 3 speakers, but can’t decide which way to lean.

I’ve read lots of posts about people putting the Emi Cannabis Rex in these and that seems like a great choice. I used to have one in a Fender DRRI and loved it in that.
    That being said, I have since come to love Alnico speakers-especially Celestions, and even more recently found that I really enjoy the Jensen sound-just not the current Jensen Reissues-through the amazing Jupiter 12LC.

I also know that there are limitations on the speaker depth, i measured and it looks like the original speaker has an over all depth of 5.5 in. So alnico speakers are out unless you have any specific recommendations.

So here’s my question to those who have tried a few different speakers with their Jet’s; ehich of these speakers would help me get the most out of this amp given that I like a stout, full, and warm clean with the ability to be pushed into overdrive while still maintaining some clarity in the tone?

-Cannabis Rex(seems like a standard recommendation for this amp to add body and volume)
    -Celestion G12h30(I have been a big fan of this speaker with other amps and my attention is piqued again due to Dr. Z using it in the new Jet inspired “Jetta”)
    -Jupiter 12LC(recently bought a DRRI that had one of these in it and it’s totally blown me away in this amp. I was initially planning on replacing it with a Celestion Cream Alnico, but can’t see any reason that I would find a better speaker for this Fender circuit)

Anything else I should look in to?

To reward your patience, here’s a pic of my ‘64 Jaguar with my ‘64 Jet
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    emisilly and Electric Warrior like this.
  17. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Man, I almost added another one last night. A 70’s Jet J12T for a very affordable $249.

It just looked like a heap of trouble. It turned on, but the circuit board looked like a science fair project. Terrible. The tubes were board mounted too. Tremolo wasn’t working. Came to my senses before I spent the money. Not to mention all the money it would take to make it useable. Blue check and 1960’s era would have been a different story, but this one didn’t strike me as worth it.

emisilly likes this.
  18. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

I have only had one ampeg- my SVT classics tube bass stack. But when you turn it up loud and plug a les paul into it- there is no better ampeg sound. Great tough amps.

19. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

NAD - Superjet SJ-12R

This 50 watt 1X12 combo had been sitting in a local pawn shop for over a year. It worked but didn't sound very good. I got it for two Benjamins.

At home, first order of business was to test the tubes. The Svetlana EL34 outputs had a date code of 1996 and are probably original. On one tube, the filament only glowed when I leaned the tube in the socket. My multi meter showd it was open. So, I reflowed the solder on the tube pins and it works now. I replaced the Sovtek input 12AX7 with a GE 5751 and the driver 12AX7 with a GE 12AT7. It opened up the amp.

This thing is a fire breathing monster! It did not come with the foot switch, which turns the gain boost and the reverb off. So, they are always on. I only wish it were a few pounds lighter. The leather handel was splitting and I installed a temporary handle until I find a replacement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

emisilly likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.