Ampeg Jet-12D extension cabinet connection doesn't work.

Darnit

TDPRI Member
I have a late 60's Ampeg Jet 12-D that has an extension cabinet jack which doesn't work.

It has 2 resistors across the connector lugs. With a jack plugged into the ext connector the in cabinet speaker works but the ext doesn't.
The ext cab speaker is good and properly rated (8 Ohm). The jack is a typical female TS connector. I've been searching for the purpose of these resistors but I haven't found any discussion about them. Lots of discussion of the jack types and wiring to shut off the in-cab speaker when an extension is hooked up but no resistors discussed except as a load simulation but these are way too small I think.

I tried to post a couple of pics but no joy. This is my first post so maybe I am 'suspicious'?
TIA for any help
don

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Could you post the schematic that matches the version of the amp you're looking at?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
That ext jack may have been modified (resistors added) to make it a 'line out' jack. If that jack is not providing enough voltage to drive a speaker, try running an instrument cable from the jack to the input of another amp.

IMPORTANT NOTE: this can cause damage to the second amp's preamp if that jack is putting out a speaker-level signal! Be careful!

Darnit

TDPRI Member
That ext jack may have been modified (resistors added) to make it a 'line out' jack. If that jack is not providing enough voltage to drive a speaker, try running an instrument cable from the jack to the input of another amp.

IMPORTANT NOTE: this can cause damage to the second amp's preamp if that jack is putting out a speaker-level signal! Be careful!
thanks for the reply, Pee.

After reading the interweb, I decided the resistors were an extra feature and deleted them with the hot wrench. . . in this case a soldering iron. This resulted, not only in a working ext cab output but an overall gain of about 1/4 volume and much better tone and 'balls' ..

It is a very sweet amp made even sweeter by the addition of a Gallien-Krueger open back 12" Celestion extension cab. This cab has about a 20-30 degree slant back design and placing them apart results in a psuedo-stereo kind of sound (I'll have to check to make sure the speakers are in phase - lol).

I appreciate everyones help - it prolly was a line-out mod but we'll never know and I don't care!
Cheers,
_don

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I appreciate everyones help - it prolly was a line-out mod but we'll never know and I don't care!
Cheers,
_don

Here's what a line-out mod usually looks like...this application fits into a small box that can be used with any amp's extension speaker. IMPORTANT: you must leave the amp's speaker connected or you risk damage to the output transformer.

DIY-Amp-Line-Out-Box.jpg