1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ampeg GVT5H 5W Tube Guitar Amp Head

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jammers5, Nov 5, 2013.

1. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

Ok and onto more....I just plugged in my G&L ASAT Classic Rustic, ran a pedal board consisting of:

Boss Noise Suppressor> MXR Carbon Copy Delay> MXR Micro Amp>Wampler Paisley Drive> Keeley Compressor>EH Holy Grail to the GVT5H and into a Dr. Z Z Wreck cabinet loaded with a Celestion Gold and Blue! All I can say is WOW I AM IMPRESSED! As good as I ever heard my pedals! I had the amp set on the 2.5w mode and cranked it up. Best $150 head I've ever played! Best head under $500 I've ever heard with these pedals! So glad I bought it - It'll be a great backup to my Z Wreck for gigs and might actually see some action in the smaller gigs!

Guys...go to musicians friend and GET ONE before they are ALL GONE! they are on sale again!!!!!

J5

2. Dunning~Kruger

Dunning~Kruger Banned

That thing looks so friggin cool. 6v6 and 5 watts in avery small attractive package for 150$.

Very smart looks and sex appeal.

[​IMG]

3. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

OMG I took a sip of water as I read your post then saw the l'il dumb and dumber bit on the end.

Needless to say had some water to wipe up!!!!!! LOL!!!!:D

I just switch to a more vintage sounding tele and had a great hour or so - what a fun little amp!!!

J5

4. BSR77

BSR77 TDPRI Member

I just ordered mine today they are on sale again. I don't think you can miss for the price.

5. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

150.00 sounds like a good deal i like clean amps that can dirty up with a pedal. but im saving my pennies for a munchx amp :) so no spending for a while for me. i do need to get a pedal next month tho. but thats to be expected. enjoy your ampeg. i wonder who owns the company these days. looks like they are bring back the old styles. from the vintage they look pretty close or maybe im just blind. chris.

6. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 TDPRI Member

It's owned by Loud Inc. They own Ampeg, Crate, Mackie, and maybe one or two other brands. I'm not quite sure how I feel about them as a company - their quality control and engineering leaves a lot to be desired, imo, but some of the products like the GVT series are at least good enough to get me interested.

7. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

I just ordered the 5 watt combo. I've been wanting a 5 watt 6v6 amp for years but nothing ever seemed like the right $ at the time. I saw it on sale for $200 at musicians friend and jumped on it. It should be here in a couple of days and I can't wait to try it out. I build my on pedals, so I have an array of fuzz pedals to try with it. Seems like it should be a lot of fun.

8. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

I have the GVT52-112, 50 watts, 2 channels, 12" Celestion 70 80 speaker, the GVT5H 5 watt head and the GVT112EW speaker cab that has a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. I really love all of the Ampeg GVT products and if I had the money I'd get a full collection of the GVT line! I'm totally impressed by how great they sound and the build quality!

Attached Files:

9. Genadeloos

Genadeloos TDPRI Member

Brand new Ampeg GVT5H

Anyone still here? it is more than two years since the last post... so...

Anyway, just purchased the last available GVT5H in the Netherlands !! Brand New "Old Stock" :eek:

I love the simple design and classic look, here's a picture together with the VOX lil' night train.

[​IMG]

I know these amps are designed for guitar but I use both amps for bass practice at home allowable volume :p

Did anyone do some mods on the SVT5H ? Possibly changed the tubes to get a thicker sound in the lower frequencies?

Cheers, genadeloos

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  10. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! The GVT is very cool (i have the 15 combo).

You can get a bigger, rounder low endby swapping out the power tubes for JJ's. Their 6v6 is more like a 6L6. It's physically larger for one. Tone wise it's rounded, bigger lowend with a bit more compression. Note - you might check what's in yours as many of these amps shipped with JJ's.

11. Genadeloos

Genadeloos TDPRI Member

Hey... that's quick :D

my GVT came stock loaded with an EH power tube, not bad.... not bad at all :!:

still.... i think it could give more low end with another tube-set, i know Ampeg use JJ's now for their big bass amps so your suggestion to use a JJ makes sence to me :cool:

My concern is the bais... do i have to check that after swapping the power tube?

Have a great one :) grtz Genadeloos

12. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Afflicted

Any speaker suggestions for the 10 inch combo?

13. Genadeloos

Genadeloos TDPRI Member

Do you want an external speaker (cab) or want to change the speaker in the combo itself?

For an external cab i think the Marshall 1912 (loaded with the Celestion G12B-150 which has a larger voice coil (2”) than the GT12-Ts) could do the trick, or two 1912's, i've always loved the sound of that particular cab... for guitar that is :p And it's build like a tank. http://www.marshallamps.com/products/cabinets/1912/

I would not change the original speaker of the GVT5-110 combo, i don't think you get a better sound. But that's personal taste and subjective, of course.

14. Genadeloos

Genadeloos TDPRI Member

Ampeg GVT Baxandall tone stack

I love the "Baxandall" tone stack on these GVT amps, sure it works different than "normal" tone stacks, but that's a good thing IMO.

Insertion signal loss is considerably lower than with the standard tone stacks, so playing with the tone settings doesn't reduce or increase the output volume to your speaker(s). The volume stays about the same level while you alter the tone of your amp, that's what's different to your ears in comparison to standard tone stacks which affect the volume quite a bit, it takes some "gettin' to used to" time... but the possibilities and tonal range of the "Baxandall" tone stack are very useful i think.

rabbit is good rabbit is wise... cheers

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  15. Genadeloos

Genadeloos TDPRI Member

Ampeg GVT5H Tube Rolling session

In an attempt to make my GVT5H, even more, suitable for bass guitar i did a little session of tube rolling today. :cool:

I've found out that the Ampeg GVT series are "Class A" cathode biased amplifiers, so no biasing required when swapping the power tube(s).

The original tube setup in my GVT5H is: pre-amp. 1x JJ ECC83 S (a 12AX7 short plate) and 1x Electro Harmonix 6V6GT power tube. This setup sounds very pleasing to the ear, even for bass, but i think it could (maybe) sound even better... on the other hand, it can certainly be that the technicians at Ampeg had it right the first time... :p

This morning i've received a new set of tubes i ordered at www.tonefactory.nl / 1x JJ ECC803 S (a 12AX7 long plate) and 1x JJ 6V6 S

Rig: Ampeg SVT210AV (bass)cab / Ampeg GVT5H / HardWire HT-2 chromatic tuner / Fender Jazz Bass classic 60's RI (mim 2009).

First, in order to have a fresh reference, i played a session of 20 minutes with the stock tubes in place before opening up the backside of the amp, it turns out that you've to remove the amp section from the cabinet to get access to the pre-amp. tube. No problem, remove the 4 screws topside of the cabinet and the amp section slides out, nice to see that the actual build quality of the amp, as a whole, lives up to the reputation of Ampeg.

1st up i placed a cheap "China" 12AX7 tube i had lying around in the first stage and played that for 5 minutes.... Ouch, no wonder i did remove that one from my VOX lil' night train... :eek:

Okay, for the 2nd round i replaced the pre-amp. tube with the new JJ electronic ECC803 S, a long plate version of the 12AX7 type tube which is known for excellent clean bass reproduction, creamy mids and superb highs. It worked in my VOX LNT but will it do the same for the Ampeg GVT? I played this new preamp tube for about 30 minutes and..... hell yeah, that new tube has a little more ultra low end response and sounds more musical in the lower mids. The upper mids and highs are equal to the short plate JJ ECC83 S... to my ears anyway. That's a keeper !

The power tube can be reached easily with only the rear grill removed so i reassemble the amp section and cabinet, ready for the next step. Swapping the big bottle...

Played the current setup some more and eventually removed the EH 6V6GT power tube and replaced it with the new JJ 6V6 S, power on and GO!

Interesting... after half an hour playing I can not say that I hear an evident difference in tone or thickness between the two, it may be that there are some nuances in the harmonics but it can't be much...

Conclusion (for now): Replacing the preamp tube of the GVT5H with a "long plate" JJ 12AX7 provides a better low end and supplies earcandy harmonics in the lower mids, so that's a good result. Swapping the stock EH 6V6GT with the JJ 6V6 S tube makes little to no difference in performance as I hear it... still, that's subjective at least... :D

I'm gonna play the big JJ bottle for a while now, see what happens when i return to the original EH in a few weeks.... to be continued...

Yoda says: happy with this setup, you are

cheers

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  16. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Afflicted

I just pulled the trigger on 1 of these (combo) new open box return for $160. Just wondering if a different speaker and tube swap would make any improvments in tone?

17. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought one of the combos last year from MF when they were closing them out . I really did like the amp but I came across a deal on a blackface Champ around the same time . The Champ won , the Ampeg went back . It was a nice amp , just didn't need both . Z54

18. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

Mine has sat on a shelf since I bought it. I hated the greenback loaded cab and the Z Wreck is constantly moving around, so I don't have the right cab at the moment. I won't sell it....its too cool to sell. I almost got a 12" V30 on the local classified site but it was sold as soon as the ad was posted. Oh well.

J5

19. mike77rios

mike77rios Tele-Meister

I ordered one yesterday, I will be pairing it with a Weber 410 cab with Celestion in it. I'm excited!

20. Macatowa

Macatowa TDPRI Member

I bought a GVT5H from GC used a few months ago and put a gray plate RCA 6v6 and a GB Mullard, sound really good and has that 70's vibe!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.