Ampeg Gemini I question...

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Yoblazek, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Yoblazek

Yoblazek TDPRI Member

So I've had this 1966 Ampeg Gemini I for years, was given to me by someone like 15 years ago but I never used it much because it needed repair. Recently I decided to take it to a tech and get it fixed. Since I have decided its my favorite amp and have been trying to find out as much about these amps as I can. One thing I have yet to find an answer to is why the amp I have has been modded. The channel 1 1/4" guitar input is a knob and not an input. The tech who fixed it didn't give me any information about what the mod does. To me, it's noticable effects are as follows:

On channel 2 it doesn't have any effect. On channel 1 it sort of acts as a volume knob. If the main volume knob is at 0, adjusting the mod knob doesn't do anything, the amp is just quiet. If I increase the volume on the amp then adjust the mod knob it will increase the volume of the amp, it also may be slightly more punchy with the mod knob cranked. Besides that I'm not sure why this was done and the previous/original owner is deceased. Any help or information would be appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

jimytheassassin likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

The olny way to tell for sure is to take it back to your tech and ask how that added pot has been integrated into the circuit. Based on what you describe, it may be a simple master-volume modification.

Remember--Everett Hull (Ampeg CEO...and a jazz bassist) hated rock and roll and believed his guitar and bass amps should be really clean, even when cranked. So perhaps some previous owner wanted a bit more "hair" on the tone and had the mod installed.

jimytheassassin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.