1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jdolecek48, Jul 19, 2020.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Tele-Meister

I put my guitar down and sold my amp and now I really miss it so now i'm looking for a new amp that will suite my situations just right. for these past say 8 years i have been quite happy first with the blackstar Id;core amp it was badass being able to choose settings that emulated the different tubes, then they came out with the id core and i loved them both, i just loved the high gain sounds.....i love high gain but also like blues tones as well!
    So now i'm trying to decide should i get another one? later down the road I went into a guitar store and tried the boss katana because everyone talks about how great it is, so i went into the guitar shop and i spent 5 minutes with it and to me it sounded like junk, of course it was only 6 minutes but i have also come across the vox adio. i tried to find a bunch of youtube videos on it but they seems to be far and few between....i prefer high gain but blues on occasion, so should i stick with the id:core range? or dd i just not give the katana,vox adio a fair chance? i live in an apartment so its between those 3.
    boss katana , vox adio or blackstar idcore? could you guys please help me decide?

2. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

jdolocek48,

Hey, I owe you an apology. When you posted 3 years ago or so, you had sent me a PM and I didn't see it until long after you sent it. I am really sorry about that.

So, to restate your needs regarding amp -- you need:

a). 'bedroom' volume level
    b). generally high gain, but maybe tamed down at times for more blues-like tones?
    ..Is that correct?

How about size/weight/form factor?
    Amp head vs. combo amp?
    Consider throwing a dirt pedal in front of current amp?

Some people really like the Yamaha modeling series (THR series) -- small, good tones and not too spendy.

There's many different ways to get to a high-gain sound (of course, a Marshall 1/2 stack might do the trick, but might not be the best fit in this circumstance... :D)

I'll let the other folks chime in and see what they recommend. I don't play dirty much anymore (no, not a pun, honest!) -- mostly just clean, or off-clean, so I'm definitely not the best person to offer any opinion here.

3. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Vox Adio Air GT for sure. It's not one of the three you mentioned but especially since you live in an apartment I would also recommend a Vox Mini 5 Rhythm. Blackstars aren't bad I've had a few but I always go back to a Vox modeler.
    edit: I have the Mini 5 R. and people I know that have used mine have always been impressed with it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    PhredE likes this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have the Katana 50. I mostly bought it for the hoard of onboard effects with an amp attached and price point.
    I have been pleased so far with it except for 2 things. Only the 100watt Artist model has the expression pedal and it really doesn't do well at it's lowest(.5watt) output setting.
    The sound from an amp at the place you tested it vs the room at home will always have a different result. Sometimes an amp needs a different speaker to sound better. Could be that the one you tested had a ragged out speaker from over zealous players too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.