Amp With No Knobs?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by The Ballzz, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Gene, how about a rotary switch on the panel, three positions: Tele, Strat, Gibson.

2. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

This tweed Champ clone is kind of the same thing with maybe a slightly different take on the OP's idea. An amp with only a volume knob that gradually adds dirt starting at about 8 or 9 all the way up to 12. You set the volume to your chosen sweet spot, and use the guitars tone and volume knobs for different sounds. if you need more volume, put a Shure SM57 mic in front of it kissing the grillcloth.

20210122_225325.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

No such switch needed, as all of my guitars each sound their best all with the same amp settings. The trick is getting a great all around sound with the SSS Strat and all the others simply and easily fall into place! I'll admit that it it did take a bit of time and effort to figure out the particular and specific setups of all three members of the trinity to work well together, but once I found the combinations, they are easily repeatable! The Strat is the hardest to get to sound great and generally needs a clean boost available, even though only occasionally used!
    Thanx 4 The Thoughts,
    Gene

4. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I've often read about pro players marking their amp controls and always using the same settings. I have my fav settings on each of my amps and cud easily live with no controls.

I'm a minimalist and luv this idea. Then someone said why have a power switch, n I thought, yeah I cud live with that. Then someone else said why not wire ur cable straight into the amp, n I thought, great idea!

How cool. A speaker stack with a cable coming out the front n nothing else on it. Anything u need is on ur pedal board anyway.
    :

5. breadfreak

breadfreak TDPRI Member

This is one of the reasons so many players are using digital amplifiers. It's definitely great to turn on and know that whatever was there after Friday's show is still there for Saturday's show. The same concept has been around for even longer in the much more sensible world of sound reinforcement with digital mixers... before that, sound guys would tape over the faders to make sure they didn't get knocked.

If you always play with a signal into the PA as you say then I think your idea will work for you. After all, a microphone offers you zero control — everyone sets volume, EQ and reverb at the mixer and that's okay... for singers, drummers, trumpeters, marimbists...

6. Scottsgarage

Scottsgarage Tele-Meister

Hey I have a Valco (Chicago) lap steel amp branded National, and I just dime the volume and play it , it does what you say you experienced, great overdrive sound I think mine is the original speaker (Jensen). I got it at a pawn shop near the courthouse when I was on lunch break from the only time I served on a jury in Long Beach over 35 years ago.

Mongo Park and naveed211 like this.
  7. Scottsgarage

Scottsgarage Tele-Meister

Here it is: IMG_2926.JPG

NTC and subgenius_one like this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Just do the old BB King method....dime everything, done

Mongo Park likes this.
  9. Danny B.

Danny B. TDPRI Member

A couple blobs of epoxy will keep those pesky knobs from turning.

10. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

How about playing "Horse With No Name" and substituting "Amp With No Knobs" for "Horse With No Name" ? Just an idea to see if the crowd notices.

11. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

fYI, standby doesn't help with tube longevity, if anything it hurts:

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/standby.html

12. gba1968

gba1968 TDPRI Member

This is my little 1955 Silvertone amp! Just a volume control, but sounds great. Works best with single coil pickups...

Attached Files:

13. gm1cusnr

gm1cusnr TDPRI Member

Nah... if it were truly 'minimalist', you'd hav'ta use cheap wire nuts instead of soldered connections... I do see your point, though < grin >

14. Captain Krunch

Captain Krunch TDPRI Member

It's always nice to have some control as opposed to not having any.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.