1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp With No Knobs?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by The Ballzz, Jan 19, 2021.

1. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I have an SRRI. What I did was get a notebook and record the settings I used that I liked the sound of for each guitar. Turns out that if you have a good amp you don't need to change the settings until you take that big ol' 4x10 into your bedroom. 6 is a little loud for my little bedroom. 4 is a little loud in the living room but definitely manageable. I also like the same settings on the eq for all of my guitars. The Teles love that setting and the Jet King makes it rock like you have never heard. No need to move the knobs because they are all recorded in the notebook along with all of the other settings for my pedals.

2. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Wouldn't know. Never been that lucky in love or in amps. my Blonde Broadcaster will do that though.

3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Lived with a blonde singer who was an ex-MP. She could kick a**.

4. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Might be better to design a cool cover to go over the controls?

5. gogaterz

gogaterz NEW MEMBER!

I guess you will only play this amplifier in one room? Ever? If you plan on playing in more than one room and you can't adjust an amp for a room, it's not worth owning. Sure different guitars can produce different ones and sounds but you can't get a guitar to emulate an amp/cab sound. You may be able to do some tweaking if the amp is mic'd and the PA tweaks that channel. Or, does that channel on the PA need to be glued down too? IMO it's a waste of money and ruining an an amp to do the mod.

6. smokey9701

smokey9701 TDPRI Member

Get out the volt meter, check the pots and replace them. I don't see any reason not to do it other then the time it wold take to replace what is already there and working but, it will work.

7. Bill Garvin

Bill Garvin TDPRI Member

LOL!!!

8. Bill Garvin

Bill Garvin TDPRI Member

You and Teleguy61 should get together and rewrite the lyrics to “A Horse With No Name” by America. One verse could be the advantages of having no knobs and the other could be about the drawbacks of having an amp with no knobs. See, there’s another line right there. “I’ve heard about the drawbacks with an amp with no knobs.”

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  9. Bill Garvin

Bill Garvin TDPRI Member

LOL! Ain’t that the truth.

10. Bill Garvin

Bill Garvin TDPRI Member

Yes, and while we’re at it, no input jack either. Just solder one end of the guitar cord to the input stage inside the amp and bring the cord out the back of the amp to plug your guitar into. Totally minimalist.

11. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Tele-Meister

My Gibson GA-15RV has 3 knobs - volume, reverb and a weird tone knob that lifts some frequencies while cutting others (makes a nice mid cut actually). I think that's where i draw the line vs operating what would basi6 be a power amp/head.

12. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Tele-Meister

Also like to have a standby option so I don't burn out my tubes

13. tubedude

tubedude TDPRI Member

There's always variability. Tubes age, components drift in value, which was variable up to 20 percent from manufacture.
    With a good amp you should have no problem dialing in good tone. For the last 15 years my builds have incorporated a 2 stage matching circuit on the front end so any pickup is buffered and normalized. So Strat, Tele, humbuckers, active pickups, bass pickups all can live in harmony.

14. Whitebeard

Whitebeard TDPRI Member

I could buy into the one sound dialed in ideology if you are always playing in the same acoustic environment. Else, the sound probably needs tweaking to achieve the same sound in other rooms/places and also depending on how many humans are in a given room.

15. MReynolds

MReynolds Tele-Meister

be ok if one tone is all you ever need and your room/venue never changes. My novel idea for my best liked Dr Z base settings, i just put non-sticky medical paper tape above the pots with the dial setting # for each written on it and then tweak from there as desired. Works well, I bet no one ever tried that idea before o_Ohahahahahaha

16. wstrnswingster

wstrnswingster TDPRI Member

Back at the dawn of electric guitars, where it all started with the Electric Hawaiian Guitar, amps had no controls. The Amp was controlled by the guitar was the thought.

17. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

You could use it to play Horse With No Name.

18. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Very soon, a single volume control was added. I suspect it was due to the tendency for the amp to be too easily driven into distortion by the instrument. Sort of a "Governor".

19. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@Guitarzan56
    Actually that is almost exactly what I was referring to. It would likely be a different amp design, but who knows? :D

There are many here who seem to get what I'm shooting for and of course the aforementioned "naysayers" who probably didn't read my whole first post that included a reference to a GOOD attenuator, when needed. I don't often use my amp to "fill a room" but instead to get a very specific sound and volume at the speaker, with the intention of putting a mic on it to distribute it around the room, in a manner that effectively balances it with the vocals and other instruments.

I do truly appreciate all of the great and thoughtful comments. One other thing this thread demonstrates, is that even at my age, my skills at effectively "dropping a turd into the punchbowl" are still quite good! :p

Thanx 2 All,
    Gene

20. Frankentronics

Frankentronics TDPRI Member

Don't forget that the supply voltage coming from the grid plays a critical role in how the amp sounds - meaning, at what point the amp start clipping. So, you would also have to add a circuit to stabilize the supply voltage. The supply voltage goes up and down based on the consumption in your area.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.