Amp wiring - Jazz chorus to external speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tweeet, Jan 27, 2020.

1. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

My first intention is to disconnect the wires from the Roland speakers. I'm building a cab with two Eminence GA10's in (8ohms). Would I be correct in thinking that I could wire one speakers leads to a jack socket (which I could insert in the backboard of the Roland amp), the other speakers leads to another jack socket (again which I will put in)...then run speaker cables from the amp sockets into the speaker inputs jacks. The Eminence speakers would be wired as per the Roland ones are now. I wish to keep the sound of the Roland's chorus. Am I talking rubbish here ? This is my first foray into amp 'modding'.

[​IMG]

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Depending which Jazz Chorus it is there should be separate leads to each speaker from each power amp. If you wire two output jacks in the back of the amp and jacks on the internal speaker leads you could just unplug the internals and plug in your external speaker leads.

Be warned - the Emi SC64 GA10s if that's what you're using are a flavoured speaker, designed to replicate a 60s ceramic Jensen. That works with a scooped BF Fender but the Roland isn't that. You're in uncharted territory. Might be worth bolting the Emis in and trying them to be sure you like the result.

tweeet likes this.
  3. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

I intend to bolt them in...and try just as you mentioned.
    thumbnail.jpg

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If you pull those rubber gaskets that fit on the magnets of those OEM speakers, you will more than likely find that they
    Are Eminence speakers. Anthony at Eminence Customer Service is good at sharing what products they have that would have similar Sonic properties. Of course, you might not like the sound you are getting with the OEM speakers. If that is the case, then the search is on!!!
    Anthony might also share with you what the general differences are between those OEM speakers and the Emi GS1064 speaker. Manufacturers specific certain parameters for their products for a reason.....sometimes that reason is price, sometimes the reasons have to do with the particulars of their amplifier....of which the speaker is the final variable.

Also, just an observation, but if I wanted to use an outside cab with that stereo amp, I would use two cabs so that the stereo soundstage could have a wide enough field to truly establish some appreciable stereo activity.

SheldonP likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think you can do this with a shunt jack and all you have to do is plug into it and it bypasses the internal speakers automatically.
    I did it on my acoustic amp with two small speakers. I made it so it bypassed just one of the internal speakers and I can have a single extension speaker. Works great!

GoldDeluxe5E3 and Andy B like this.
  6. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

It just so happens that I messaged Eminence and Anthony got back to me really quick...good advice he gave

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Anthony is a stand up guy. Been more than helpful in the past. Very happy with my Eminence purchases both on bang for buck and performance basis.

8. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I did this with my Fender Champion 20, and while the original amp is still functionally intact, I can bypass the original 8" speaker into my larger cabinet with either a 10" or a 12" speaker. Really transforms the FC20 and makes it more useful.

schmee likes this.
  9. hiero

hiero Tele-Meister

Check the user guide for your model, but the JC-50 in some guises has an additional chorus/vibrato output jack on rear panel that you can run into the lo input on another amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.