Amp wattage

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ash Telecaster, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's true, I do have a lot of amps. It's kind of crazy really. I have been thinking of doing the pedal platform thing for a long time and somehow I always end up getting side tracked. Don't get me wrong, I have an affinity for guitars and amps and pedals. The more I have the happier I am. But I have a pragmatic side. I like the idea of having the amp just amplify and controlling my sound from the pedal board. Who knows, I may end up hating it but I like the idea in theory.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

My go to amp is my 68 Deluxe Reverb, it is 22 watts and never stops it from cutting thru any mix. Any louder I would go thru a board. I have a Katana 50 also and it is rated at 50 watts. My DR on Volume 4 is overpowered the Katana and starts to touch your tone bone.

8barlouie and Ash Telecaster like this.
  3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You must be very young.

I grew up in the Twin era. We weren't even sure that an amp, any amp, would even function if you turned it down lower than 8 on the volume control. I've had my old Twin maxed within the past two weeks or so, an I'm completely plaid cantaloupe.

BobbyZ, viccortes285, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  4. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Not young at all, I mean in today's world.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  5. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Lower wattage cranked sounds way better than a 100 watt on 2. I play very loud and found a 30-50 watt sounded better.

6. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Now I know you're young. A real curmudgeon doesn't care about today's world. All that counts is what happened years ago.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I brought a fifty watt amp to a gig back when I was still doing the bar band thing, and by the last set it was dimed. That amp stayed home after that, and the 100 watter remained in service until that band broke up.

However, that was twenty years ago when volume restrictions weren't the norm as they are today, and this was a cover band that played in rowdy bars where loud rock & roll was the name of the game. The 100 watt amp would regularly hit eight and above on the volume, but that was almost always for the last couple of sets when the place was packed and everybody was well lubricated.

The fifty watter was absolutely loud enough, but it didn't stay clean at those volume levels. The big amp would make any sound I needed, at any volume level.

And yes, we all wore hearing protection.

8. Ash Telecaster

I'm going to repeat a question because I think it was missed. Do you think you can pull two tubes on the Pearl to make it a 50 watt amp?

jimytheassassin likes this.
  9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

First - FORGET power. "Watts" are relatively meaningless when it comes to actual volume. Amp design, bias setting, speakers and cabinet are more important. It takes much more than comparing "watts" to determine which amps are louder than others.

That being said, since the 70's I've always used the lowest-output amp that was practical in each venue/place - I set the amp volume a bit below maximum clean headroom with guitar controls dialed back 20-25%.

A small nudge of the guitar volume control boosts solo volume; a bit more slides the amp smoothly into mild saturation.

The tone control setting lets me change the bite; rolling ti off more moves into a mellower "jazz-y" tone.

If playing an unfamiliar place I always took at least 2 amps with different output. IMO a gigging guitarist really concerned with tone just can't get by with one amp (and a backup I'd never play without a backup!) and most guys I know around here have 3 or 4...or more...gig amps.

Arafel, thegeezer and Ash Telecaster like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Used to be "a thing".....and it was said to pull tubes #1 and #4.....leaving #2 and #3.....don't know if this did anything, but it WAS common lore.

Back then I was using a BF Super Reverb....it covered all my bases.

11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

And accomplish what exactly? Lower headroom? Most fixed bias amps with 4 power tubes can have the 2 inner (or outer - it depends on the amp) power tubes removed. Not adjacent ones - usually. Again, depends and you should check with the manufacturer.

And you will also have to rebias the amp AND disconnect one or more speakers. Removing power tubes changes the output impedance and it *may* not be good for the amp without a speaker impedance change. Again - check with the manufacturer. It's usually like this, but not always and you should confirm it with the manufacturer.

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've done a lot of the "high powered clean amp as a pedal platform" thing in my life. And I'm almost always happier that way.

I've gotta say, it's all up to personal preference. Personally, for good clean tones, I think a Twin on 2-3 with a clean boost in front of it to thicken it up sounds a ton better than a 10-15 watt amp on the verge of exploding. That just sounds like ass to me. But each their own.

8barlouie and Ash Telecaster like this.
  13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I love Twin Reverbs, got two of the dammed things. The only reason I don't take them out much is smaller amps are lighter and do the trick. I hardly get a Princeton Reverb past 4 these days and that's with a drummer and a not very efficient CTS alnico.
    But I'd rather play my ratty SFTR at any volume. ;)

8barlouie, Ash Telecaster and Jakedog like this.
  14. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

There really is no need these days for a 100 watt stack. The classic rock guys who used to use them because PAs weren't as reliable. I have played plenty of bar gigs and gigs outside with less than 20 watt amps. If you need pristine clean, you still don't need a 100 watt amp, Bandmasters have plenty of headroom at 40 watts I believe. If you want any kind of overdrive on the amp, you either need an attenuator and/or a master volume on a 50+ watt amp. I'd get the Bogner if I were you.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

It's really not between a 100w amp and a 40w amp, because they are both likely way louder at max than you'll need. The real question you should be pondering is which amp makes you smile more when you play it.

BobbyZ and Ash Telecaster like this.
  16. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

If you're not playing metal clubs in a giging band, 40w will do. I'd even say if you turn up with a 100w amp at a regular club gig there's NO WAY you're gonna get away with the amp on even 25% of it's potential. I play mostly small clubs and that's why I sold my 1974 Fender Twin. I LOVED the amp, but when we were out playing I could hardly get past 2 on the volume knob. It's insanely loud in small clubs.
    I sold it and bought a 40w Blues Deluxe Reissue. Even with that I seldom get the volume over 50% or so. I finally bought a Blues Junior and that's what I play most of the times. You have to push it a little, so I'm finally able to get in that sweetspot of about 75% of it's full power. And make no misstake; a Blues Junior 15w on full blast is still a pretty loud amp. You'd be surprised!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  17. Ash Telecaster

It would be a matter of having a more usable volume range than just .001 and 1.5 on the volume knob. I have heard it has a pretty smooth taper though so that might not be a problem. I appreciate the reply. It gives me something to think about, like do I want to risk going out of normal operation with somethign I need to rely on in performance. I had a Twin once were pulling tubes was actually in the operating manual. If it was as simple as that I would probably do it.

18. Ash Telecaster

I totally agree with this regarding small amps exploding. I hand wired my own 5e3. Great cleans but crank it and it distorts like crazy. It's loud and punchy almost like a bass amp but muddy as can be. People say Billy Gibbons got his early ZZ-Top tone by cranking a 5e3 to 10 and I just don't believe it. He was probably layering tracks and using other studio tedchniques to pull a lot of that off.

Greg Koch has got some pretty stellar tones out of small Fender amps but I'm willing to bet it is with the help of pedals and PA. I'm especially fond of this grisly tone!...

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...5b71ce12ad535b48c9ecd667c7e0e25c&action=click

Yah, the rotary is cool too!

Jakedog likes this.
  19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's always fascinating to read different perspectives.

For me, even a Deluxe Reverb almost has more power than I need. And when it doesn't, I mic it. A 22w amp designed for high-ish headroom with a decently sensitive speaker puts out a PUNISHING amount of sound and has plenty of low end and presence for me.

I also think the "big amp on 2" or "small amp exploding" is a false dichotomy. Is a 22w BF/SF Fender small? I don't really know? But they were designed to be high headroom. And a tech told me they get almost all power stage distortion (not preamp) which is part of the high headroom (hope I got that right). But I never have to set it to be exploding and don't generally like amps set that way.

Somewhere, generally 4-7/8 on the volume dial, some magic starts happening. Little compression, some breakup, great dynamics, clarity with warmth.

I can get pretty close to that with a bigger amp and the right pedals, tbh. But it's not exactly the same for me. And I'm lazy. Why lug 60+ lbs when I can lug 40 and end up in the same place.

YMMV.

20. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sort of going through this right now.

I typically use a clean amp as pedal platform. When I first joined my band their stage volume was borderline unbearable. Rather than rock the boat, I just went to a 60w 2x12. Even after neutering it with a low gain tube in V1 I rarely cracked 2 on the volume knob. Anything more was painfully loud.

We ended up having the volume and everyone turned to a reasonable, but full volume. Out of curiosity I took my 6w 1x12 VHT to a practice and found I maxed out at about 1 o'clock and could hear myself fine. We mic up at practice. Last practice I forgot the mic and still didn't crack 2 o'clock. Amp is still clean too - go figure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.