Amp troubles..

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sloan11, May 17, 2011.

1. sloan11

sloan11 TDPRI Member

One of my amps is doing something interesting..

It is my smallest, an Engl gigmaster combo. It is powering on and everything, but it is not actually making any noise whatsoever. I've dealt with plenty of tube amp failures but I've never had one that powers on like normal, but doesn't function from there. Any thoughts? suggestions? This could be the third tube amp of mine to bite the dust within the past 3 weeks. =(

2. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

At a guess I would say a bad connection in either the speaker wires or input jack. Do you get any static at all when you plug in? Could be a loose ground wire in the chassis, too. I had one channel of my BFSR act the same way and it turned out just to be a loose ground.

Good luck.

Justin

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

try another guitar cord if you haven't already.

4. sloan11

sloan11 TDPRI Member

Can't get any static or anything. Nothing.. and I tried multiplce cables.. I plugged the line back into the jack for the speaker just to make sure, and still no sound

5. Joe L.

Joe L. TDPRI Member

Do you have the attenuation switched to "speaker off" by accident? Have you checked to see if all three tubes are lighting up? If the preamp tube is dark but the power tube are glowing swap out the little guy with another
    ECC83 or 12AX7. If the power tubes are dark and you're comfortable opening up the chasis the power tubes have some fuses in-line with them that might be blown. There are some other internal fuses on the mains you can check while have the amp opened up too. If you're going to do this make sure the amp is unplugged!

6. sloan11

sloan11 TDPRI Member

I have tried the power soak on every level, and I believe all tubes are glowing

7. Joe L.

Joe L. TDPRI Member

Do the mid boost and clean/lead LEDs light up when you select them? If not, check the fuse inside the chasis by the power transformer. If they light up when selected like they're suposed to and you've double checked the speaker and everything else is hooked up correct I'd start swapping tubes, one at a time, starting with the preamp tube. Did this problem start out of blue, one day working fine then no sound?

8. sloan11

sloan11 TDPRI Member

Yes, it was completely random. And yes, all lights are functioning... I'm baffled, really.

9. sloan11

sloan11 TDPRI Member

I woulld like to plug into an external cab to see if it is something in the line to the speaker... does that seem likely?

10. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. It is very liklely. Had something similar happen to me at a gig with a Vibrolux Reverb. One of the lugs came off the the speaker and the amp would not make a sound. Evrything lit up as normal.

11. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

Do you have an effects loop? I have had similar problems with my Tech 21. Sprayed the inputs with Deox-it to fix it.

12. sloan11

sloan11 TDPRI Member

Yes, effects loop, but I'm not using it currently. What is that spray stuff though? Could it be useful to me?

I don't work on amps, never have. I always take them to a pro. Is it safe for me to unscrew the back on this thing and just look at the speaker and see if everything is cool? If so, what should I look for specifically?

13. sloan11

sloan11 TDPRI Member

Yes, all three are definitely still glowing. I jsut got home and checked them again

14. sloan11

sloan11 TDPRI Member

New info... One of the wires running to the speaker looks a little melted or such, and the wire was touching the housing of one of the tubes, so it very well may be melted... what else should I check now that I have the back off? and with the wire having that silver spot (where i believe it has melted some), is that enough to cut output? and what does that mean I should do?

15. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Leave the amp alone. Do not turn it on and futz around. Take the amp to a tech and have them look at it and see if the wire came off its connection or if there is a bad solder joint.

16. itsa68

itsa68 Tele-Meister

Could be a fuse.

Thats the best advice. If I may chime in, I had a Vox AC15CC that did the same thing (everything powering but no sound), and after I did all I could I took it to a tech. He found that it was just a blown fuse. Apparently new pcb amps can have a number of fuses to safeguard your transformer from dropping out of the amp in the case of a blown power tube. And of course you can't find them like in a good old handwired amp.

17. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like the speaker wire is grounding out to the housing which would definitely shut off the sound. The big question is why did it melt the insulation in the first place. I agree, take it to someone who works on amps.

Justin

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.