Amp thermal fuses

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GuitarJonz, Aug 13, 2016.

1. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Have seen some recent posts about inexpensive amps that have thermal fuses, which are not easily replaceable, and often hidden under pcb boards, or other inaccessable places. Also seen posts where guys say their tech "took care of it by rewiring", which I assume may mean wiring around the fuse, ostensibly leaving it unfused. Why not just have a vintage style fuse holder, where the amp owner could just unscrew the cap and replace the fuse? Is it just cost, or are they trying to keep the tin foil pirates out of there?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

The cost to buy a Vintage style fuse holder and the cost to install it.....should.....be minimal.
    I build a LOT of guitar and stereo (audio) amps.
    It's $3-$4 dollars for a NOS Buss fuse holder (if you shop around), and roughly a 20 minute job, to drill your chassis and install it.

Steve

3. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

I do not think there is a general answer. Some companies' products are made to break, others are made to work and last, and in the latter case I think it is sensible to assume that thermal fuse will rarely have to be replaced.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.