Amp switchers

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Newbcaster, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Anyone have one? What's it like?

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Like, an AB box?

Not anything fancy, I bought mine in 2007 and it's as simple as possible, one input, one button, 2 outputs. No battery, no light.

Recently contemplated buying an EHX one to match my other pedals, because I saw one on CL for $20.

If you meant anything more elaborate than an AB-Y box, got no use for one, so I don't know. I've never felt I needed more than 2 amps in a setting where I couldn't just unplug from one and go to another.

3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Radial Tonebone Isolates each amp well and takes of care of ground loop or phase issues. Great piece of equipment

Random1643 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I just use a real basic whirlwind switcher.
    The only issue if you are running one hot, maxed, it
    will not eliminate the background howl.

Nowadays, I just use for comparison testing.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had a radial tone bone for a short time (took it in as part trade on something) It did work well. Good product. to use two amps into one speaker box.
    If you mean just switching between two combos an ABY switcher works fine if you dont get ground loop hum...

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, the OP hasn't checked back in, but assuming he was talking about an ABY box, it is simple, effective, and can be inexpensive. I've used mine in various applications at home or at gigs, with good success. Mine is a LiveWire Solutions brand, and it costs $50 at GC, MF, etc. I can't seem to find a picture of mine, so I'll just be lazy and borrow one from the Internet. There are more expensive ones that are designed to fight ground loop, but for my applications, that's never been a problem, it works great.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

As the bottom side of it shows, you can run two lines out from it to two amps, or two guitars to one amp. I've used it both ways.

8. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

You pay for what you get -- this is built like a tank, works flawlessly and effectively deals with phase-matching:
    [​IMG]

9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have two of these. I wouldn't run a stereo rig without them

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

:lol:

Unless, of course, you're a thief. :twisted:

11. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

The Radial boxes are all good and super useful. You want an ABY box that can flip the phase in case the speakers are wired out of phase. I have owned a Tonebone Switchbone for over two decades. They have a sweet boost pedal. It also has a drag control which allows the pickups to get to their optimal load with the amps. That's a super useful feature unto itself. The new version even looks more useful, but the original is really great-one of the better clean boosts I have ever used plus it's a great ABY box:

TB_V1.jpg

V2:

TB_V2.jpg

12. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Lehle Little Dual works as needed. No problems at all and only requires basic 9v power supply, no special higher voltage supplies.

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If you mean like a Vodoo Labs Amp Switcher that does four amps, I've got one and can't say anything bad about it. Think it set me back around $200 well probably a little more.
    It's the only ABY box type thing I've used so I can't compare it to anything else, but here's what I know.
    It has ground lifts.
    You can either play from 1 to 4 amps at once, switching them in and out.
    Or you can hook up 4 amps (or less) and set it to play just one, turns one on, shut off the last one.
    It switches silently and seamlessly.
    Like a lot of pedals, the battery goes dead and you loose sound, works fine then you're unplugged.
    I just use an AC adapter, because I often forget to unplug the one cable that flips the switch and next day, dead battery.
    Works great but honestly after awhile I just went back to one amp most of the time.
    Although that one amp at a time setting is handy for comparing 4 amps on the fly.

RodeoTex likes this.
  14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've read that my lowly EHX Switchblade is an evil tone sucker, but I don't hear it.
    Works fine for me.

15. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

So i posted a thread earlier which was completely ignored; I left this one more general and voila! people responded!!!

Anyways Im glad to see that.

I wanted to rig up all 12 amps in my studio so that all 4 of my "main sounds" which are all stereo will be available without having to tap dance or walk over and change cabling.

Turns out I have to tap dance.

I was looking at Tim Pierce's kahayan amp switcher 8x4.... but i called the distributor here in the us and it wouldnt work.

Basically what I want to do is:

Guitar---wireless---pedalboard---amp switcher

sound 1: crate 50 with tone tubby speakers out to TC electronics g-major2, stereo out to 2 more crate 50 watts with tone tubbies.....loud as balls. Think Brian May, Billy Gibbons, George Thorogood, Dave Hole, but sweeter and louder

Sound 2: Ultra clean Country... Sonic Maximizer, Pigtronix Philosopher King, Demeter Stereo Tremulator, Demeter Rack Real reverb, out to 2 hartke Bass amps/bass cabs

Sound 3: Ry cooder, Mark Knopfler: same fx as ultra clean country plus auto wah, univibe, orange squeezer, KOT clone and Slide Rig compressor out to 1960s supro thunderbolt and fender super twin reverb

Sound 4: Arena rock and metal

Dimed Marshall Joe Satriani head with a cheap behringer vintage delay to fatten the sound

Front end pedals: Thorpy Gunshot, BK Butler tube overdrive 4knob, 10 ton hammer, Slide rig, Univibe, Dunlop Wah,

FX loop pedals go out to stereo left and right marshall tsl 100s.

Boss Delay, BossChorus, Boss re20 space echo. Demeter Rack reverb.

Easily the most metal and relentless sound i've ever heard. Big fat, loud and bonecrushing. Not like that Kirk Hammett bees farting in a jar sound.

So thats what Im up to in a nutshell.

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm thinking you're going to have to get something custom built once you get over four amps at a time. I think Kendricks made one that'd do 6 amps, maybe they still do?
    And maybe there is something that'd work out there already, I sure don't know.

Newbcaster likes this.
  17. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

BYOC just came out with a kit. A-B-Y with ground lift. Amp Selector V2

18. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Good luck with that project, Newbcaster!

I go in the other direction. 3-4 instruments into 1 amp. Radial/Tonebone is my current answer for that.

[​IMG]

19. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

You might find a way to do what you want with one or two of the Voodoo Labs signal routers. They also make a floor MIDI controller that works with the switching units. Pricey. MIDI control of multiple signal switchers is probably the best solution, you may have to custom build one.

On the other hand, you could possibly cascade several less expensive A/B switchers. More buttons to press, but could work. Say if you have three simple A/B switches. One main A/B select, the outputs go to two other switches. Thats four channels, and the most buttons you would have to hit is 2, to go from any output to any of the other three. Assuming they are transparent, 5 4-channel switchers could get you 16 output channels.

Hope this helps,
    denny

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've used 3 ABYs together to interface four amps at once.
    (Ihave no idea why Ihave 3)
    Kind of an ABY/AB-CD/YY/W
    Cool but too much hassle. Cool for comparing amps as BobbyZ said above.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.