Amp Suggestions for Prog Rock/Grunge

JeffreyLebowski

NEW MEMBER!
Hello everyone, I am looking to get a new amp Head to record with in my studio and hopefully use to gig with.
Main reason I want a head over a combo is because the weight of the combo amps are usually a lot, and I feel an amp head is more versatile for live gigs? I could be very wrong about that and if I am please set me straight.
But my main question is are there any particular companies like laney or engl etc. that are specifically well suited tonality wise in a prog rock/grunge format? I prefer to buy used and can go around $1300 but I want something that I know will give me a meaty and creamy tone that isn’t just chugging death metal tones. It can be vintage or new. Any advice helps a tone I appreciate it.

I only mentioned laney and engl because generally I like how they look compared to others but that’s as far as my experience goes with either of them

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Welcome.

Think about artists you like the sound of. That’s a start. Because even in a genre there can be more than one guitar tone. If you’re not fixed on a specific tone get something that has a good clean tone and then add dirt or other with pedals. Don’t sink a lot into an amp with a real specific tone unless you love that tone. Try everything you can try. There is no best amp.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Multiple heads with one or two cabinets can be more cost effective than multiple combos. They certainly eat up less floor space. :)

But as for weight reduction… it depends on the heads. I have one head that weighs more than several of my combos. (Big transformers weigh a lot), But generally speaking, I’d rather make two trips carrying moderate weight than one trip carrying an extremely heavy combo amp.

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
Rockerverb 50 has to be the answer here :cool:
I make do with the smaller Rocker 15 Terror. The clean ‘Natural’ channel sounds wonderful, but the lack of an EQ for it might be a deal breaker for some. I compensate with an Ibanez EQ pedal in the excellent tube-driven fx loop. The dirt side can get me from The Stones to Soundgarden.

VintageSG

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The Laney IRT60 will cover a lot of ground, tone wise, and is powerful enough to neuter passing insects.
If 60 Watts is too much, and studio work is the main task, the IRT 15 Studio is a worthwhile amp to look at. There's a 300 Watt version with the same pre stages, but the output stage is replaced with a Class D.
The Orange OR, or a Dual Terror/Dark terror will get you there too.

beyer160

Friend of Leo's
The best thing you can do is make a tour of the guitar shops in your area and try EVERYTHING, even stuff you think you won't like. That'll help you make a much more informed decision about what YOU like. You'll get all kinds of answers in a thread like this, all of which are valid but may not be what you're looking for.

You're casting a pretty wide net, you need to narrow it down.

(that said, if you can find an Orange Rockerverb, definitely give it a spin)

duzie

Tele-Holic
image.jpg
I want to try one. 100W would be ridiculous! How do these sound for Rock and Roll? I had the pedal version of this amp and all I could get out of it was pummelling high gain distortion.
I wish I knew lol.
This is what I use :D:D:D

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
For used gear check out .......

Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus. 50 watts with lower wattage setting.

Dr. Z Maz 38. 38 watts.

EVH 5150III 6L6 50 watt. 50 watts.

Budda Superdrive 30 series II. Closer to 36 watts.

Orange Rockerverb 50 mkII. 50 watts.

For used gear not so loud ....

Dr. Z Maz 18. 18 watts.

Mesa Boogie Exxpress 5:25 Plus. 25 watts with a lower setting.

Suhr Badger 18. 18 watts.

Soldano Astroverb 16. 20 watts.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Holic
When I think about prog stuff and heavier music, I think about this amp. Either head and cab or combo.

Whether its a Dream Theater vibe or more laid back, I can get it out of a Recto.

bd-50w-combo-right.jpg