Amp suggestion

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cashews121, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Blues Cube Hot does it for me. The half watt power level is very manageable, and at 30, it is way, way too loud for anything but stage work.

2. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Perhaps you would consider a hybrid amp. An Orange Micro Terror and 1x12 cab would allow you to shake the walls turned up, and it has a headphone Jack for the 3 AM stuff. Being hybrid, you'll get the tube breakup with SS convenience.

3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

AS said above, if you want to go quieter, a tube amp is not really the best wat to go....a 5w tube amp is surprisingly loud and most of them dont do quiet particualrly well....especially if you really do literally mean "a sleeping house" (unless your house isvery large with quite sperate areas).

I love small tube amps have an AC4, DSL 5, Class 5, SL 5, Champ Clone and none of them are suitable for late night/sleeping family playing.

However as quoted above, my Origin 20 with attenuator is also great, can be played very quietly.

In saying that, I almost always use my Line 6 Helix LT for headphone or quiet practice.

Does your line 6 amp have a headphone out?

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Stax1

Stax1 Tele-Meister

^ This. Use headphones.

If you want other sounds try another small home practice amp, I'd recommend the Yamaha THR amps.

5. saltydg0089

saltydg0089 NEW MEMBER!

I have a Marshall DSL 5c and I’m really happy with it. It can do 5 watts or 1 watt. Plus has a headphone jack and fx loop.

drneilmb likes this.
  6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I used to play a SFTR at my parents house at all hour . Master volume is your friend

In a third floor condo now depending on what room I'm in it's either two 40 watt Blackstar tube amps or a 20 watt Blackstar along with a 36 watt H&K. I do keep those off the floor but that's it

7. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

If you want something that you can play while everyone is asleep, but also be able to blow the doors off a barn if you feel the urge, I strongly recommend giving the Tone Master Twin Reverb an honest look (even if it isn’t a “real” tube amp).

If you are really set on proper analog circuitry, the first decision point is how much hair do you want from the amp, and do you need to be able to get clean tone at drummer volume. If I wanted vintage I’d probably hunt around for an old 5-10w Traynor or Garnet combo, and if wanting to buy new the little Supros are sweet as heck. I love the Comet especially.

Before I went digital, I had a pretty decent setup with a big, loud 2x12 and an attenuator and an analog cab sim box, but it was a pain, and there was a compromise in tone. But it was also fun!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  8. Cashews121

Cashews121 TDPRI Member

What’s that?

9. Cashews121

Cashews121 TDPRI Member

Yeah great reviews on Sweetwater,,could be a winner

10. assquatch20

assquatch20 TDPRI Member

Lots of good suggestions. Try the headphone out if you have one.

What I would say is get a Blackstar HT-5. Sometimes during the day, or when I've got the place to myself, I'll run it into a little Jensen 1x8 or a Marshall 4x12 depending on the mood. Five watts can get plenty loud for most homes. Heck I've gigged with 5w. Mine is the "metal" version which has way too much gain, but I love the thing.

I use the head, but you could get the combo version if you've not got other speaker cabinets to work with. Pretty sure you can add extension cabinets to it if you really wanna make a little amp sound bigger down the road. And just an FYI, swapping speakers does a lot to change your sound.

Another thing that's nice about this amp is it kinda sounds like a bigger amp, being class AB instead of single-ended, even though it only has 1 power tube. Essentially it gives the little amp more headroom. The master volume helps a lot here as well. It also means you can get high gain at lower volumes than a Champ or other SE amp might. I need to try slaving one of my bigger power amps to it to see how big it can sound.

Here's where it gets relevant though: if I leave this particular amp in standby, I can just use the emulated out into my little 2.1 Hewlett-Packard PC speakers. There's a button to select 1x12 or 4x12 cabinet emulation. Great for low volumes, going straight into the soundboard, recording and such. I do not recommend it (do as I say, not as I do) but the HT-5 can safely run in standby without a speaker load connected. That said, you must have a proper load connected to a tube amp before powering it up.

Works with headphones too, but I prefer the PC speakers. You're only using the preamp tube (one 12AX7) in this case. The PC speakers' internal SS amp is the power section. The emulated out comes with stereo reverb, which is subtle but nice, and is capable of stereo playback of whatever you plug into the mp3/aux in that the amp has.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I think it means Silver Face Princeton Reverb.

SFPR.jpg

I would also look into a Super Champ, I love mine for quiet practice and small gigs.

Gris likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

This isn't going to happen without going into a load box with an IR cabinet simulator.

"Good evening officers. Is there a problem? What? My neighbors called you complaining about the noise? But, it's only 7:30. Yes sir, I'll keep it down. No sir, you won't have to come back out here."

13. 0911smokey

0911smokey TDPRI Member

Not sure what your price point is but I love my Swart Stereo. To me, it’s everything I’ve ever wanted and more. Two 5w amps in one chassis. On board reverb and trem. It can get a little loud dimed though. Goes from clean to tweed. Princeton’s are great amps also. Just my 2 cents.

14. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

Man, there are so many options, and I have no idea what your price range, styles, etc. are. You'll get a wild mish mash of opinions if you don't give some context. You will even if you do!

That said, the PR that I have is my favorite buy ever.

Gris likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.