Amp suggestion

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cashews121, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Cashews121

Cashews121 TDPRI Member

I have been playing a 75w Line 6 for at least 5 years in the house. Got it for $70 bucks,,and its not awful,,but there are a few things that are very inconvenient about it. Anyway,it’s too much power for the house,and I want a tube amp.I want something that I can play at night without waking everyone up..With this amp,a very small movement of the knob makes a huge difference in volume. I Don’t need high wattage obviously,but I guess something that still has some guts if I ever feel like rocking the house a bit. Something I can find used maybe? Anyway thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Well, there are many excellent small tube amps available. I use a 4 watt Matamp Spirit which I love, but they are hard to find.
    I'm hoping to add a Vox 4 watter soon, with a ABY pedal.
    Its really down to personal taste, whatever your ears enjoy most.

Enjoy.:p

RYAN1987M and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

The Princeton doesn't make a whole lot of noise.A Boss Katana has attenuation for low (1/2 watt) to 50 or 100 Watts.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keep the Line 6 for when you want loud and get yourself a THR10 for everything else

Honest Charley and nojazzhere like this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've been looking at Bugera and Wangs for a 5w to less tube head...no experience with them.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Fender bassbreaker 07. Might be a tad too crunchy, but you could dial down.

7. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As much as I love tube amps, at the volume levels you are talking about I would consider one of the Roland offerings, maybe a cube. They offer a ton in a small package and sound really good at low volumes.

RB522 likes this.
  8. AngryTiger

AngryTiger TDPRI Member

I would first look for Peavey Envoy 110, if it's just practice amp in bedroom, with low budget.
    If it's not - ignore this post.

Crafty Fox and FenderGuy53 like this.
  9. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Even a low wattage tube amp will probably be too loud. One with a built in attenuator could be the ticket.
    A lower wattage (5-35 watts) SS amp would probably be more practical imo.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Bass breaker 45 (cause it attenuated down to 1w)

one of the various Orange models that attenuate down to 1w or less

There are plenty of other options.

I would not get something like a Princeton unless you we’re going to budget for an attenuator to go with it. That would work and sound great but be at the upper end price wise.

Main point is to look for something that gets you down to that 1w or less level when you want to be quiet.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a fellow drop his jaw at super low volume sounds...clean and overdriven...that can come out of this amp...

1EA7EF38-EF88-47D3-BEE5-9408D0701E8E.jpeg

That said....any amp in a ‘sleeping house’ is a lot of amp unless one has a house that accommodates such activities. In f@ct, I can wake up a house with a good acoustic. i don’t usually buy solid state amps, but I picked up a little Marshall MG10CD that is not a bad sounding SS amp. It has a headphone jack. That would keep things quiet. And....for the ‘weight conscious’ players....it might weigh 10 pounds!!!!! Eeeehaw....

12. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ THIS ^^^ or...

Roland Blues Cube Hot, or Orange Crush 35RT.

Anacharsis and AngryTiger like this.
  13. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The Supro Blues King sounds great at low volumes, IMO, but can also get pretty loud when you want that. Lots of tonal sculpting with the Master, Volume, and guitar knobs... plus very useful gain and boost switches for more tones. I like mine, anyway.

carpenter likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Vox AC4......final answer! ;)

ce24 likes this.
  15. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

In my opinion, if you are looking for a quiet amp, looking at tube amps is going in the wrong direction. Pick one or the other, but you don't get both. Low power tube amps are still fairly loud and don't sound like their bigger brothers. So if you like the sound of a low power tube amp, that is one thing. But don't expect it to sound like a bigger amp at lower volume, and don't expect the volume of one to be conversation level quiet. And any heavily attenuated amp just isn't going to give out the same stuff that a moderately attenuated or non-attenuated amp will.

16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

^^^This
    Buying a tube amp because you want to go quieter is, I fear, going the wrong way. A good-great headphone amp might be your best bet. I’ve had a couple and the two I like very much are
    - THR10 (I like the “C” variety)
    - unreal as it may sound, I think that old Mustangs (v.2) are wonderful practice amps. You need to hook them to a computer, get the hang of how they work, and get rid of a few factory presets to make your own (or download some) … but once you’ve done that they’re great home/practice/recording amps.

17. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

You didn't mention your budget. The new Marshall Origin 20 has an attenuation down to 3 or .5 watts. If you can manage a head and cabinet, the Vox AC15CH has an attenuator that will take it down to 1.5 or .15 watts (but only if you use a 16ohm cab). The AC4 is a great option as is the Bassbreaker 15 (both have master volumes). But these all sound different, so you need to try them out.

ce24 likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There are many out there. But dont fool yourself, even a 5 watt amp will not be something others in the house want to listen to at night. Just sayin'. Heck even an acoustic guitar is too much.
    One thought is get a volume pedal. They not only reduce volume but often will "unclean" the sound also a bit. Which may not be bad in your situation. But still, if others are sleeping or studying or...

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. mjstamos

mjstamos TDPRI Member

Quilter and a small cab:)

REWTX and gwjensen like this.
  20. Gris

Gris TDPRI Member

SFPR

stratoman1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.