Amp strain relief ?

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
I'm considering changing the power cord on my 67 BFVC from the original 2 prong to 3. (Just never got around to doing so). My ? is, can I reuse the original strain relief, or would it behoove me to just get a new one? :)

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
You can reuse it. I don't think I've ever "broken" one. But when you can, get a couple, they cost nothing.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
All useful ideas here. Whether you replace or re-use, I still suggest the magic pliers. :)

Way out in the weeds, other ideas. How munged up is the original? There are actually a zillion different Heyco reliefs out there, so handy to get the right one (as above) -- amp places often feature these, but your hardware store just might as well, since they fit common household gear. Also, if you're not gigging with long power runs in rough environments, SVT cable is easier to fit than SJT.

This won't apply to a '67 Fender, I think, but older and non-Fender amps often just used a small grommet, which won't fit modern cable at all. If you have to drill out a new hole and don't have the double-D punch, the amp-sized Heyco will fit in a round 5/8" hole, and a nylon cord clamp will prevent rotation -- .25" for SVT, .31" for SJT...