Amp Stands

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by suave eddie, Oct 25, 2014.

1. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I’m thinking about buying an amp stand.
    I play through a small Mesa Subway Blues – similar in size to a Fender Princeton.
    Sometimes I stack it on top of a Thiele cabinet.

For the other times that I use it alone, I would like to be able to point it more toward my ears rather than my legs.

In shopping for stands I find many variations. Some don’t really lift the amp far off the floor – ranging from a simple wedge, to fold up metal stands that merely tilt the amp back. Then there are the larger stands that not only tilt the amp but can lift it off the floor to a significant degree.

How many here use amp stands and can offer pros and cons of the various designs?

Thanks

2. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I have one and like to use it. I like it up and tilted, so I can hear better. You lose bass when you do this, but that's what my bass player is for.

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

MF sells one for $20. I've had it for a couple years, I use it all the time, it's simple and it works.

4. Ben Randolph

Ben Randolph TDPRI Member

If you want to get fancy, check out Ampendage. They're small, sturdy and are much better looking than the MF stands. I've got 2 and love them.

http://www.ampendage.com

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'd be interested in the replies to this question as well. I tried one of the folding metal stands a few years back, and it wasn't well made, didn't last. I've tried wedging amps or just tilting them back, but it feels a little unstable.

Woodworking has never been a hobby of mine, I have neither the tools nor the skills for such work. If I could manage it or have it built for me, I'd like to try this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fellow TDPRIer boomboomba posted this years ago, and I've been intrigued by it ever since.

6. dharleyfan

dharleyfan Tele-Meister

I use an ULTRA, its adjustable width, adjustable tilt, nice sturdy stand, folds up, its a little heavy, but anything sturdy is gonna be, I've even put my Hot Rod DeVille with 4 10's on it.

7. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

After trying a few stands and hating them I found what I liked. A hockey puck under each front foot and standing a little further back. But I'm Canadian eh.
    Easy to move too, just fire the pucks in the amp.

8. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

9. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

+1. Does what I need it to, breaks down and fits in the trunk, and I don't care if it get nicked up by the mic stands.

10. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I have been considering the ramifications of tilting the Class 5 back so far that the main beam hits the ceiling... not the audience or even my ears... not sure that's a great plan?

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I got the cheapie OnStageStands one from the local mom & pop.
    It's ben many years since I had a tilt-back amp, and I seldom used the legs.
    I'm convinced that this little stand will change the way I play for the better.
    As I usually play small joints, most of my amp's sound hits me in the back of the knees and I miss a LOT.
    The last few gigs, I could REALLY hear my amp.
    Dynamics were VERY apparent.
    Pick attack, tone and volume controls on amp and guitar, etc... all became much more apparent.
    Of course, I immediately thought, uh, oh.....now I'm gonna have to pay real close attention to a lot of crap I've been ignoring for years!
    It's cool...but a little scary.

12. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

This is one, of a set of four, of my all time favorite amp stand for small to medium combos/cabs:

102_0300.JPG

It's a two prong coat hook. I screw one to the bottom under each corner. It gets the amp off the floor to keep the floor from sucking up all the low frequencies, the curved "toes" minimize the floor contact area, and being rounded it doesn't gouge or scratch the floor (particularly appreciated when you're playing on someone else's stage). They come in varying thicknesses which can hold up from 10 to 50 pounds each without bending. If you want tilt, you can use pliers to pinch the front ones closer together and/or step on the rear ones before installing to flatten them. It costs $10 to $15 to do one cabinet.

Another item I use to lift and give tilt is rubber wedge shaped door stops, open side down. Two screws up through the top surface and into the cab is all it takes. Costs maybe a dollar a piece.

If I need it higher off the floor, I set it on top one of the plastic coolers and/or plastic storage tubs I use to carry all my cables and other gear around in.

13. JoeTele11

JoeTele11 TDPRI Member

Here's another option.
    I use a 5 space stand for the AC30 and a 3 space stand for the AC15. The angle is perfect for me.

Attached Files:

14. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I use an old wooden apple crate that I got when we played at an orchard a few years back. I think apple crates have the best tone.
    And I can throw guitar stands, cables and my towel in it.

15. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

My previous FM212 needed a little lift off the carpeted floor for the cab mounted reverb to work well, I just used a couple of plywood blocks to get it off the floor, when I wanted tilt, I added two more small ones in front.

Right now, with my new grandson in the house, my amp stand is another amp...

16. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I use my "Backup Amp".
    I have a mid 90's SS Deluxe 112 that goes to every gig with us as a backup.
    I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood the shape of the 112's top, and cut out a hole for the handle. It fits in the back of the amp perfectly.
    Set that on top of it and I have a soothe, flat platform for my Princeton to sit on, at the perfect height. And it sits flat so I can set things on it, like a capo or pics. No drinks on my Princeton!

[​IMG]

17. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I have two or three.

If I know I am getting mic'd I never bring the stand, I set the amp on the floor. I just ask for more guitar in my monitor.

If I'm not getting mic'd, but I dont have to play that loud, I might bring the stand, and point the amp up.
    If I'm not getting mic'd, but I'm expected to run pretty hot from the stage, fork it, I'll set it on the floor and just turn it up.

The older I get, the less I want a loud speaker pointed right at my head. Theres a fine balance between "putting the amp on the floor and turning it up and killing the front row with it" and "putting it on a stand and killing my own ears".

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

be careful about buying these... one of my amp, I think the Blues Junior... wouldnt work well with it, because theres a shiny metal plate in the back of the amp, where it contacts with the Standback thing... and it just slid right off. It wouldnt hold it up.

the Standback isnt going to work with every amp.

19. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Ampwedge. One of these under each of my 1x12's works great for me.

20. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I love the standback.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.