Amp shopping or leave it alone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by alathIN, Mar 27, 2018.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

A lot of the players I like play Vox amps and I have an AC-4c12 that I like. It has the kind of warm mild breakup I like, and the bright chimey thing.

I have also always liked the thumpy low end Fender thing. Recently I was getting ready to play at a church thing where you plug into their board, so I was playing with the amp modeler on my multi-effects-thingy and found I really like the Fender model with that thumpy chunky low end, still plenty bright. Since then I'm actually running my Fender model through my Vox for a lot of the stuff I play at home.

Now I have conflicting thoughts:

1) sell the Vox and get a similar Fender product - in which case, what's a good small-ish affordable-ish Fender tube amp suitable for home volumes? If it had a good built in reverb that would be a plus but not mandatory.

2) just keep fooling around with the amp I have and the modeller; I'm not gigging this amp anyway and it's plenty good enough for practicing at home

2. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

A Fender amp modeler running through a Vox probably sounds different than just a Fender. Is the AC-4c12 the amp you normally gig with?

alathIN and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

My vote is for option 2.

alathIN likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Keep what you've got AND buy more!!!! The national economy/Guitar Center needs consumers!

alathIN likes this.
  5. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Get a blues cube and the New York blues tone capsule and you can have both.

alathIN and Lef T like this.
  6. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I don't really gig. Occasional worship playing at church, which as I said is all plug in direct to the board.

7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I play a vox ac4c1 and a fender deluxe clone in tandem.
    Its the only thing that works to get the tight low end back.
    The.
    Only
    thing.
    Short of an $800 amp
    Otherwize, I'm striaght into a zoom g5 and a, fishman loudbox. Then I pretend I own a bogner exstacy with fender reverb tank.

alathIN likes this.
  8. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

I would keep it or either way sell it and buy a Yamaha Thr10 which I think is more versatile talking about sounds and effects, very good for home, I've got one

DavidP likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Amp voicing is so personal. I would suggest playing as many different amps in the stores to find the voice that speaks to you.

Alexpapasitoguapo and alathIN like this.
  10. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Just saw on Reverb there is a used Blues Junior here in town. Just what I need - more gear shopping!

Obsessed and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Those are extremely speaker sensitive/dependent.

Thing is , there are probably 40 pages on this forum alone about the ideal Blues Jr speaker.

Good luck !

Alexpapasitoguapo likes this.
  12. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I, and someone else here who shall remain nameless (3) had the same amp and sold them. I don't know why 3...I mean anonymous...sold his. But I sold mine in record time.

Bought it new online just based on reviews. Couldn't stand it, and not because it's a "bad" amp. Of course it isn't.

I just once again came to the realization that I'm a Fender guy, or other manufacturers like Roland and Peavy that successfully replicate that Fender clean.

13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I would definitely stay away from playing a real Fender amp, lest you find yourself seduced. That Fender sound is great but doesn't come cheap (made in USA), trust me, I own a Deluxe Reverb and just ordered Princeton to play in church. They also are by nature a clean beast and don't do that "on the edge of breakup" thing until you get them up way louder than you realistically can play, so be prepared for OD pedals if you make the leap. If the modeler is giving you the sound you like, than stick with it. It's hard to get a Fender amp to sound VOXish. Chris Tomlin's guitar player actually uses both side-by-side miked and blends them, the best of both worlds.

alathIN likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.