1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp Settings!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Psycho_Duck13, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Psycho_Duck13

Psycho_Duck13 TDPRI Member

Hello everyone!

I've had my MIM 60th Anniversary Telecaster for not that long, It's my second guitar so I haven't even been playing guitar for that long, so I'm a newbie at guitar! Haha, but I love this guitar!

But I wanted to know, I have a Blues Jr. from my brother, but I have no idea what setting I should set it to, so if anyone with a Blues Jr. just tell me your settings, no matter what style it is!

All the Best,

2. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

For me it varies with my taste changing over time. Also with different styles and songs. Start with them all at 5. If it sounds too bright, turn down the treble. Try them all cranked. If it gets woofy and flabby,turn down the bass. Try a "scooped" sound with the bass and treble high and the mids low. Etc. There is no one setting. In different rooms you may find you sound too bright or too dark as well.
    It's a lot like learning guitar. It takes time, and practice and experimentation to get good at dialing in a sound you want.
    I usually assume whoever designed the amp shot for a good sound with them all even and somewhere in the middle, so that is a good start usually.

3. Psycho_Duck13

Psycho_Duck13 TDPRI Member

Thank you!

4. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

There is no one setting for guitars/amps, otherwise they would not have knobs. By working with both guitar and amp settings you can get a wide range of sounds. If there is one constant for me it's that I tend to roll off the bass when I turn gain/volume way up.

Just start twisting knobs and listen for what you like. Also if you get together with other players or a band all the settings will need to be different.

5. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

Settings also will vary by volume. if you are just playing at home, experiment.

For me, I usually set the bass all the way up and the treble about half, and go from there for lower volumes.

6. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

I always begin by setting my tone controls at 12:00 and adjust from there.

7. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

BJr is easy to dial in.

I set bass to 9:00, mid at 5 & treble at 6 o clock. Reverb at 3.

Then for clean, it's Vol low, Master high.

For grit, it's Vol on 12 and Master on whatever you want...

These settings work great with most of my Teles.

8. dandd

dandd TDPRI Member

You want tone?

Turn the volume all the way up.
    Turn the tone controls all the way up.
    Control the amp volume and tone from the guitar.

Good luck,
    DanD

9. Pino

Pino TDPRI Member

For clean tones and home practice I set volume and tone knobs of the tele (I have the same MIM 60 anniversary) at max and the following setting for the BJ:
    Volume on 5
    Treble on 3
    Bass on 3
    Middle on 7
    Master on 3
    Reverb on 3
    IMO is a good clean tone I use to play many songs with tele pickup on middle position (both neck and bridge pickup)
    Let me know

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Any of the above settings mentioned can change depending on your speaker, pu in guitar, style of music your trying to do etc, etc, etc.

Set down in front of amp, turn all tone controls 11:00, play with each knob starting with vol and masters, don't really look at # on knobs, turn them and play, listen to what they do. Then when find a level that's cleanish without to much breakup, just a hair with bridge pu, play with pu selector, vol knob on guitar, learn those nuances Then start playing with EQ, 1 knob at a time, all way down, all way up, pluck a open A, listen as you turn knob, listen and learn what each band on EQ does.

After you know what each knob on amp does then you can listen and dial in your tone. Learn your guitar, it pu selector, vol/tone knobs, you'll know when that bass knob on amp is to high for you, same with treble. Finding that edge of breakup tone with bridge pu to me is critical, that's your baseline. You may like bridge with vol knob on guitar rolled off to 80-90%, then roll it 100% for a lead tone. But you need to learn where that is.

11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My Quinn D-style amp is playground of settings that produce interesting, beautiful, WTH, and other sounds. It also interacts with my Epi Dot with varitone installed. A while ago, I made a Word doc that is a table into which I enter the various settings. Just the act of doing this has taught me a lot more about the amp. It takes a certain personality type to do this, I guess.

12. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

We need to know your age. Amp settings that sound good are highly dependent on how badly one's ears are destroyed. (Of course if your ears are bad settings that sound good to you will drive the audience away.)
    Make sure the amp is pointed at your ears, not your shins. The tone of a speaker changes dramatically as you move out of the line of fire.

13. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Tone knobs on "10". Take away what you don't need. Just turn down whatever is too much. Too bassy? Turn the Bass down, etc. Like sculpting a marble block ... take away whatever isn't part of the finished work.

14. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

First of all,get the amp up off the floor.Maybe set it on a kitchen chair with amp
    leaned back.Amps on floor tend to produce more bass response.The Jr.has a lot more
    treble than some other amps.In my living room,I crank the guitar wide open and on
    amp vol about three,treble on two,mid on five and bass on eight.Someone else might
    not like that setting.But when at a gig,everything changes.There is no one setting that
    will cover every situation.Tone it up or down untill you like it.

15. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

Amp settings?

Novice guitar player?

OK - Master Volume on 5 - or whatever half way up is.

Preamp all the way down.

The treble-mids -bass knobs about half way.

Now - the guitar controls - tone control all the way up - volume down all the way.

Turn the amp on - wait a few seconds for the amp to warm up - turn the preamp up to three - now strum a chord on the guitar and turn the guitar's volume up all the way.

Is it too loud? Turn the preamp and master volume controls down a little.

Now - as you play - start moving the tone controls around - first the mids - all the way up and then all the way down.

Now do the same with the bass - then the treble. Now you know what parts of the tone those knobs accentuate or accent - and how they react when all the way down to muffle some of the tone.

Move the tones around to find a pleasant sound from the amp.

General rule about volumes - high master volume and low preamp volume will be clean and bright - move the preamp up for full, richer tones.

Grinding tones come from LOW master volume and cranked preamp volume.

Keep your guitar in tune - and go to the woodshed - and play.

16. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Just twist the knobs till you find a sound you like. There's really no other answer.

17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Am I missing a question or comment...what type of music does the OP play??

Huge difference in amp settings, in my experience.

18. swardmusic

swardmusic Tele-Meister

i have a 60 ann tele and a blues jnr bill m modded amp. try this
    crank master
    treble on 2ish ( roll back your tone on that tele while on bridge to tweak while on the fly)
    bass to taste
    mids to taste
    volume set depending on how loud you want your screamin tone

NOW, roll back that volume knob on the tele and she will clean up beautifully. turn up gradually to add that sweet gristle.
    i took too long to make use of my guitar knobs. learn them. love them. if not, mod them so they work for you.

(also try cranking volume and dialling up master in a live 'n louder situation)

19. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

I have a Tweeed Blues Junior. Here is what i've been digging lately:

MV = 12
    T = 6
    B = 7
    M = 5
    R = 4 (adjust to taste)
    V = anywhere from 2 > Rawk

Here is the trick, with the master volume dimed I start with my volume control all the way down and I ease it up until I achieve the loudness I want.

This kind of turns the amp into a non master volume amp. I get maximum clean but when I really get to crank it up I get that awesome edge of breakup sort of clean which is my favorite.

Anymore gain needed... that's why I have a pedal board.

20. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

I found that on all my amps, either Fender, Vox or Laney, I'd set the eq at noon and then adjust the bass depending on the room or the proximity to the wall.
    On a Tele, it's also important to learn to use the volume and tone knob. All out open is not always the best option.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.