1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp selection help

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by pchilson, Dec 2, 2008.

1. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I agree with Getbent... I'd take the Musicman if you want a clean tone. I've had mine for over 20 years and it's never let me down... and I DIDNT take good care of it...haha.

How many watts is that model?

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Fender DRRI or Vox AC15. Each has a distinct sound, but both are very nice amps. It really depends if you want a Fender clean or a British crunch.

Personally, my choice would be the DRRI. ;-)

3. kcp

kcp TDPRI Member

I sold my DRRI and replaced it with an AC30cc2. As much as I initially liked the DRRI I didn't really like its natural distortion and mine was very picky about which distortion/overdrive pedals I could use. The VOX with 2 12" speakers offers a bigger sound and really projects the bottom end much better. Then there's the top boost channel, reverb, trem, channel mixing, and master volume. Shure its heavy, but to my ear, its the better choice.

4. meyekel

meyekel Tele-Holic

Pchilson, I saw an ad for a 78 SFDR on Denver's CL for 750 FYI. I was in the store in Loveland that has the '36 Coupe and played it with a hardtail partscaster. A really nice amp and very flexible with 2 channels. Won't have the resale like a SFDR or a DRRI just because it's not as well known. Still a great amp and I was tempted. I walked out with the hardtail instead.:D

5. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

hey meyekel you were in Loveland Music on Thursday? Wow, long drive on bad roads. I guess you made it back alright. I played the red coupe on Wedensday afternoon. I'm having a hard time with this decision. I think I'm leaning towards the Kustom but I'm torn cause I really like the DRRI tone but there is no gain/master volume and I'm afraid it will require too much volume to make it growl. I have a Super Champ XD now and love the versatility of it. I can get the sound that strikes my mood at a volume thats appropriate at the time. I can't decide...ahhh (tearing hair out...)

6. meyekel

meyekel Tele-Holic

No this was back in the spring around late March. They've had that red one for a little while now and a blue one in the window IIRC, you might be able to bargain a little. That amp does sound good and the extra controls are a nice touch if you want get some grit at lower volume levels. I'd see if they have some wiggle room on the price. A few more DR's listed in Denver but asking more than your budget.:(

7. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Ahh.. ok. It wasn't fit for man or beast to be out yesterday. Yeah, Gregs had those two coupes for awhile and he is giving a blowout price to get them moved. Every other minute I'm telling myself I'm going to go get the blue one and the every other minute I tell myself I'm getting the DRRI...Man, I've never been this stuck before. I've got the cash in my pocket and can't pull the trigger on either one...:oops:

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I wouldn't pull the trigger on either one either.

9. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

A Vox AC30 CC2 is a GREAT amp in a band context. Doesn't have to be played loud, either. Cleans are unique -- not at all like a Fender. I like that you have a RANGE of overdrives on that amp, especially with the channel blending... I usually go for very subtle, which is hard to achieve on other gear.

I already have one, but at that price, if I lived in Colorado, I'd be buying.

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

This would be an extremely cool amp. Loud like a Super Reverb, much louder than a DRRI. $850 for a brown Concert seems cheap to me. The brown Fenders are nasty amps. Check it out if you can.

11. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

The guy pulled it off CL and put it up on Ebay. I already would have had to get him to come off his price a bit but I'm not buying off ebay.

12. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Anyone have any thoughts on a Fender Champ 25se?
    Hybrid with a 12AX7 PI and 2 x 6L6 power tubes.
    12" speaker, in great condition.

13. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Also, there is a possibility of a Priceton Reverb II.
    Any experiences with this one?
    Looks like 4 x 7025 and 2 x 6V6s

14. Rumble

Rumble Tele-Afflicted

That's one that I was interested in recently. The PR II is one of the last hand wired Fenders. It's a Rivera era amp, so they supposedly get some wicked distortion, although I've read some "purists" say they get too saturated (uh, turn the gain down). But it seems like it'd be a great package- hand wired, small, light, 12" speaker, blackface cosmetics, Fender cleans and good gain. However, they're relatively rare and somewhat pricey, usually $600+. If I ever saw one for $400 or less I'd snatch it up.

15. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Today I bought a new DRRI

Today was a long day full of indecision. My son and I went to 3 stores to the north of us to look at amps. I'se just gettin sick of not being able to make up my mind. I started this whole journey when I had set down in front of a DRRI and played, I knew then that was "it". At that time I didn't have the the cash so I liquidated some gear to come up with enough cash to make the purchase. This was about a 2 week stretch and while I was waiting for gear to sell I started looking around at other amps. Well that was truly, for me, a mistake. That is when the indecision crept in. I had simply forgotten how damn good these DRRIs sound. We spent considerable hours looking at playing and price shopping today in the wrong direction. It even involved a trip to GC so I could play the Vox AC15, I did but that was useless as on the other side of the stacks was Joe Satriani cranking a GAX-30 through a Squier Sidekick 15... I left, I was getting depressed, I had spent hours up north when I should have gone south and played the DRRI again. I went home, dropped off my son and pulled up the website of Todd's Guitars ETC and checked the hours for Saturday. He remained open till 6 PM. I jumped in the car and drove down. Talked to Todd when I got there, he said yeah the deal still stands. I grabbed the nearest guitar and plugged in. I strummed 3 chords and didn't need to go any farther. Now I remembered why I had sold off gear to gather cash, that sweet sound coming from the speaker. I unplugged, paid and here I am writing this. What a two weeks of agonizing over this but I now know I made the right choice...

Thanks to everybody for there insight and help. Believe me it was more than valuable but I learned that deep down I just love that fender sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mark N

Mark N Tele-Afflicted

I think we all go through the same agnonizing journey at some point of which amp, this or that and finally you do end up coming full circle to the original amp of choice. A good choice you have made in the DRRI...I had one and really enjoyed it..some days I wish I still had it. I now have a TRRI and it's fantastic, heavy but that's ok...it all boils down to what you feel sounds good to your ears and what suits your style....congrats and enjoy your new amp!

17. getbent

check it out....

18. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

checked out. thanks. Musicman?

19. getbent

the 400 amp you passed on... unfortunately, it doesn't come with albert's chops... but, I'd be hard pressed to not call that fender tone (since it is fender tone.. just after Leo did it once.)

20. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Well, I didn't really pass on it as much as it was sold before I could act on it. It was quite some distance from me and apparently in high demand. It was gone that same evening.
    I admit I don't know Musicman amps and didn't have an urgency to jump at it. Maybe my loss, maybe not.
    I do like the DRRI and you don't.
    This was to be an enjoyable experience, choosing my first "higher end" amp and it turned out to be an agonizing experience instead. Now I get the "you chose wrong"?

Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.