Amp search, DRRI not fitting the niche

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by brettf, Jun 12, 2009.

1. brettf

brettf TDPRI Member

Hey folks.

Ive been playing with a DRRI lately and:
    -Tried some pedals, then realized i didnt wanna play with pedals.
    -Got an attenuator.... But i find the tone just isnt as satisfying. (both on part of the attenuator and the DR's natural overdrive not hitting the spot)

Also noticing how little volume i need to play the shows i play (from practice to miked bar gigs). Kind of ridiculous when you show up with a DR and cant even put it past 3.

In the studio ive been using a fender "champ 600" going through my DR's speaker and it gets a better tone. Loud enough to jam out with in some cases too.

I'm kinda looking for something I could just put on 7... have it be the right volume, decently crunchy, but have it clean up if i play a little lighter too.

Some things i was thinking about:
    -Victoria 5112, Valvetrain 205TB, or other 5w 6v6 w/ 12inch speaker (is this loud enough for jams?)
    -Tweed Deluxe RI or clone

basically im looking for a 5 - 18 watt amp with a 12 inch speaker. 6V6 preferred.

What can you all suggest to me on my quest? (kinda hoping to avoid spending a fortune, and maybe even keep the DRRI for clean stuff or larger gigs)

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Have you looked into a Super Champ? The vintage one sounds about perfect for what you're looking for, but the new XD might not be a bad fit either.

The vintage one is nice as it has a Master Volume and a Gain knob and it has onboard, real tube spring reverb.

The new one is nice 'cause it has all kinda of voices that sound pretty good and it has some digital effects, chorus, trem, reverb, delay, etc.

If I was talking about the money you're talking about with those two amps you suggested, I'd probably be going for a vintage Super Champ.

3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

4. Sterling Indigo

Sterling Indigo Friend of Leo's

57 Deluxe is the shizzle. Here's one that's at a pretty darn good price:
    Fender Custom '57 Deluxe Amp™ Guitar Amp If you aint got the corn, you can make one on the cheap or for a few bucks less, get a 5E3 clone. Tons of options.

5. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

I've got a 1961 Ampeg Reverberocket with 6L6s. Mellower than a DRRI, pretty hard amp to beat for club gigs.

6. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

man i'm feelin the same way! the DRRI is just too much amp! i've been using my Pro Junior almost exclusively since i got it.
    the DRRI is a wonderful amp, sounds great and everything but i never get to turnmit up to where it sounds best.
    thinking about cashing it in for a princeton reverb. 15 watts is about perfect for most of my gigs. for the teeny tiny rooms i use the Vibro champ

7. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

I'd probably look to stay in the 12-15w range. Lots of choices including a 5E3 clone, PRRI, MusicMaster Bass, Blues Jr, Ampeg J12 or J20, etc.

You could also try puttting a very inefficient speaker in that DRRI. Stock I believe it comes with a Jensen RI C12K, which is about 99db@1w@1m. A Jensen MOD or something similar run closer to 94db@1w@1m and might allow you to get those tubes cooking a little more at the volume you desire.

8. skeksis

skeksis Tele-Afflicted

I know where you're coming from, been down that road before...

Tried the Ampegs (still have a couple) but they're often too loud still... 5E3 Fender Deluxe clones are closer, their character depends a lot on the speaker. A Princeton Reverb was right there, too, maybe even a little too loud without pedals and unpredictable with pedals @ gigging volume. I ended up going for even less power:

I'm using a simple kit-built amp (built by a fellow TDPRI'er) - a STF Electronics "Super Charged Champ", which is a pretty close clone of the old Gibsonette, in a 1 12" tweed deluxe narrow-panel cab w/ a Red Fang speaker.

SO this thing is about 9 watts, loud enough for anything with that super efficient speaker - if you don't mind a moderately crunchy tone. Runs a 6V6 pair in parallel, has a simple master volume. ANYWAY I run it without any pedals, get all the tones I need both clean and dirty w/ my tele.

9. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

You should try the Orange Tiny Terror.
    I think you'll like it.

10. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

Egnator Rebel 20

lovin' mine !

11. brettf

brettf TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies!
    Not sure about master volume amps like superchamps and blues juniors.
    I think im sold on 12" speakers. Not as interested in amps with 10s.
    I think im lookng for a 6v6 sound. not into the tiny terror.

For me the best option is looking like a tweed deluxe clone.

Ill go search the forum to see which ones are liked. But anyone here can chime in about a tweed deluxe type amp they like and that would be appreciated!

12. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Don't only look to 6V6's.
    Don't only look at 5 watt - 18 watt amps.

Early Gibsons used 6BQ5's (American name for EL84's). They're not always "British" as some suggest.

If you need nice overdrive at managable volumes, try amps with master volume controls. You'd be surprised. Peavey Classics are great sounding amps. I had two 50's and one 30 - the 30 was loud enough in most cases, the 50's had better bass. Good cleans, good dirt, reverb, and a master volume (EL84 tubes).

Sometimes a bigger wattage amp has bigger and tighter bass and MV's unfairly get a bad rap. MV's are usually better than attenuators on the bigger amps (attenuators sound a bit weird when they chop that much volume).

The tweed Deluxe is a great suggestion too. Breaks up at manageable volumes, sounds nice and fat, and is great at dynamics due to its low headroom (gainy preamp, low powered power section ).

13. telbert twang

telbert twang Tele-Holic

Check out the Laney L5T 112, its a serious animal

( or how about a SFPR with 12" ? )

14. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

The Headstrong Lil'King is an exact handwired Princeton Reverb only it is available 1x12
    and like the original is just 12 watts.
    Also the Allen Hot Fudge is a 62 Brown Princeton (6G2) available 1x12 15 watt but no reverb....
    The Valvetrain 205 is a 1955 Tweed Princeton (5F2a) is a great amp and a loud 5 watts
    can handle a moderate jam but perhaps not a full band and drums......depends on the application...music played.

15. Mark N

Mark N Tele-Afflicted

I have a Dr Z Maz 18 Jr 112 combo, not 6V6, it's EL84....great amp, awesome tone! Master volume helps as I can turn up the volume and get the amp working a bit but at a decent volume....these amps are loud for 18 watts though...blows anything I ever had out of the water!

16. smokerjoe34

smokerjoe34 Tele-Holic

Princeton Reverb can do it all in spades !!

17. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

I love my Allen Sweetspot although I ordered it with a 10" speaker & now wish i'd have gotten a 12" although i've got a 12'' ext. cab. I really like the offerings from Headstrong too but they're more expensive than Allens & doubt they're any better sounding.

[​IMG]

18. tomfarnan

tomfarnan Tele-Meister

yep - i'm having a similar problem. My SF Vibrolux is too loud and my Princeton NR is too soft - but with great tone. Am thinking about a master vol mod on the vibrolux to give the preamp tubes some heat at low volume.

19. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

If you can, you might want to try a vintage Ampeg Jet. I have a J-12-D from the mid 60's, and it sounds like what you want. The 7591 output tubes sound a lot like 6V6's, but with a little more low end "push". The early 60's Jets used 6V6's. They're about 12 watts, so you can really open them up without being too loud. The best part is that you can still get them for a reasonable price. They're on eBay all the time for under $500 US.

20. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Not very much dough; continuously variable between EL84 and 6V6. Variable wattage. Big variety of tones.

Use the Deluxe as a speaker cab, and you lose nothing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.