Amp Recommendation Please...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by soggybottomboy, Oct 23, 2011.

1. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy TDPRI Member

Hi guys... I'm a jazz musician with a solid stable of solid state amps from a Roland Cube 30 to a Lunchbox to an Acoustic Image Coda+. The amps serve me very well on guitar in quieter jazz settings.

For some extra change, I've been playing guitar in more blues/rock settings lately and these amps aren't cutting it at all. Our current line up is a loud drummer with a full kit, an electric bass running through a 4 10" or maybe a 4 8" GK cabinet, keys through a loud combo and another guitarist through a larger Marshall Combo with probably 1 or 2 10"s in it.

I brought my Lunchbox this evening and it was just pushing too hard for this crew. I was playing all out through the bridge pickup and there wasn't "tone" -- it was just kind of noisy distortion coming through the mix. Not much to be proud of. I'm not used to playing at these volume levels (and apparently my equipment is the same!).

So I need a better amp for this set up -- I want to be heard!

That said, I'd like to stay as small and light weight as possible. This is really the key for me. I'd like two channels (clean/dirty) and built in reverb. I'd like to be able to dial in a 'basic' blues distortion tone (a la Buddy Guy or Clapton's Cradle to Grave). Nothing too elaborate. I'll be playing straight through. I'm not terribly budget conscious, I'd rather get something that works well for the situation given it's a paid gig.

Please give me some suggestions for a combo amp meeting these criteria.

Thanks!

2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

You can get the extension cab for the Lunchbox for more volume and tone. Or you can run the Lunchbox throughout a 12" speaker cab (or any 8ohm cab actually). Or you can look at the Fender SUper Sonic 22 combo. Or maybe your band mates can turn down the volume a tad.

3. Twin and Twang

Twin and Twang Tele-Meister

My buddy had a Roland JC-77 for a while that my wife played through on stage. Great built in reverb. Add a good overdrive pedal and you'd be set for Jazz, Blues or Rock. Also, since it's a clean amp, all your pedals will sound wonderful. They're pretty light weight and you can find them on ebay frequently. Now we play with a JC-120 and a Twin Reverb and my back is a lot more sore! I miss that little amp.

4. soggybottomboy

Thanks for the thoughts -- I'd like to keep it under 40 or 35 lbs if possible. I had my eye on the Cube 80, but I'm not sure how or if that'll be louder than the ZT Lunchbox.

I really don't have an issue with a SS amp, in fact from a weight/convenience standpoint, I would really prefer one!

...of course, I guess I can go get a Hot Rod Deluxe or something that should do the trick... right?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  5. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't really care for them, but sounds like you are describing a Hot Rod Deluxe.

6. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

The Fender Mustang 111 would fit the bill for you exceptionally well in my opinion. Here is an excellent video Demo of this model. The amp weighs 36lbs and is 100 watts. This will keep up with your band in every way..no worries about that. Also, I included a link for this amp with all it's specs. Good luck in your search ;) Remember, each and every preset on this amp can be tweaked right from the amp itself or from your computer..Amazing amp if you watch closely :eek:

http://www.fender.com/products/mustang/models.php?prodNo=230003

7. soggybottomboy

Thanks for the suggestion -- the price on that Mustang badboy is right!

Just to be clear though, this amp would be substantially louder than the Lunchbox, right?

How would this compare with the ZT Club?

Cheers!

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

-used classic30 or
    drri with high DB speaker

9. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

That is some pretty nasty hum coming from that amplifier. It's even still quite noticeable while the playing is going on.

EDIT:
    Ahh, it seems to go away after around 45 seconds or so.

10. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

The noise gate was not set for any of the presets at the time of this video demo..sorry ;)

11. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

This Mustang 111 is 100 Watts...it will blow you and anyone else out the door. This is mine in a good size gig setting (lead guitar with Jazzmaster..amp on 6 with volume control on guitar @ 3/4 up)...no problem keeping up or cutting thru the crowd :cool:

Great for jamming at home as well :cool:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  12. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

I would try a Princeton Reverb reissue. Now that they've been out a while, they are starting to pop up on the used market for about $400.00-$500.00. Should be loud enough and not too heavy. If not, then a Deluxe Reverb reissue (a little heavy but way loud) for $100.00 or so more. Both have great reverb and good natural overdrive when cranked. If you can afford silverface versions, they're out there for more bucks but will hold their value. I don't really like "built in" distortion (or distortion of any kind really). Just use a pedal if you must (Tube Screamer is what I used when playing out).
    Swang on,

13. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Trademark 60?
    Delta Blues?
    Classic 30?

Heck, I saw a show last week the guitarist was playing through a Fender Frontman 2x12. Sounded fine. Once you have another guitarist, a bass, keys, drums, etc going, sublety kinda goes out the window.

EG

14. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up a Cube 80XL and I've been blown away. It's small/light, can cover your jazz gigs, and the Twin Reverb, Deluxe Reverb and Tweed models (when the EQ is tweaked properly) can provide really great blues tones. I highly recommend it; in my opinion, over the Mustang amps that I A/B'd the Cube with.

In the alternative, you could use your AI Coda (300 watts!) with a new Line 6 POD HD to get a clear representation of any of their high-def amp models.

15. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Fender amps, not cheap but IMO are affordable and since you're not terribly budget conscious anyway...

Silverface Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb.
    I'm not a jazz player but I've heard good jazz played through a SFDR. I think it'll work ;-)

If your rock comrades are loud then a blackface Super Reverb.

Those amps will get it right the first time better than anything else I can think of.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.