1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp recommendation for small church.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by eunit79, Nov 28, 2020.

1. eunit79

eunit79 TDPRI Member

All, I am looking for an amp recommendation for playing at a small church. I am looking for good headroom and the drummer at times can be louder during a highly excited service. I have played at a different church before years ago but used a Mesa DC5 head (50 W Tube ) with mesa 2x12 cab. I still have this amp but don't want to lug it around anymore.

I also have a Fender Princeton 68 Reissue, but don't feel like it will have the headroom I will want. As far as guitars I will be mostly using T Type Warmoth/Fender parts casters. Style of music will be Traditional Gospel, Country Gospel, and modern Contemporary Christian music. I have thought about getting a 1x12 combo. First thought of option is that I would like to build a mojotone 5e3, but heard from others headroom is also an issue. Second option is buying a Fender Pro Junior, mojotone pro junior 1x12 cab combo and wgs speaker to effectively make a 1×12 combo. Also these options give me an excuse to buy another amp which I have already been contemplating. In your personal experience what do recommend? Thanks for advice!

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Boss Katana 50 1x12. Plenty of power, super light in weight, and killer sound. No bulbs to wear out.

This, coming from a tube amp freak.

gabeNC, beagle, PhredE and 2 others like this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I don't play actual amplifiers in church anymore. I was, but I've been getting better sounds using a digital amp emulator (Line 6, etc.) straight into the board. The problem with using an actual amplifier is they are quite unidirectional; they shoot straightforward, blasting out people's eardrums directly in front of it, whereas people off to the sides can't really hear it.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

How big is the small church, how much headroom do you need, and is reverb needed?

PhredE and eunit79 like this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The 5E3 won't have more clean headroom than the Princeton. Probably less. A more efficient speaker in your 68 is how I'd go. That's plenty for a small building where you don't want to raise the dead.....

dougstrum and eunit79 like this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Big questions....

1. Will this amp remain in the Church?
    2. Will it need to be moved down to the basement or something each time?

I think the Tonemaster Twin amps would fit the bill without a sore back nor worry about theft

hotraman, PhredE and eunit79 like this.
  7. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Fender Mustang III. 100 differnt PreSets for all your church needs!

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Tonemaster twin or deluxe.

9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I’ve played my 5f11 tweed vibrolux as well as my 35 watt blackface 1x12 at church gigs. The sound guys like me to point it at my head for my own monitoring needs and mic it up. This means a bigger amp is barely cracked open and doesn’t sound as good. I would stick with the Princeton and add an sm57 with a little mic stand and a tilt back.

10. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

I play at various churches, with all of the styles you mention.
    If the amp is on stage behind or in front of you, Fender Twin Tonemaster or Katana head / with a small cab should do.
    If the amp is in an iso cabinet, use any amp.

11. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

What you need is a Marshall JVM205 100 watt with a 4x12 cabinet. That will take care of that loud drummer.

On a serious note, a Fender Deluxe Reverb is going to cover that ground. The Tweed is definitely not going to cut it unless you are well mic'ed and have a good monitor system. The Princeton might get a little mushy if things get loud unless you have something other than the original speaker. Another option depending on your tone needs is a Vox AC15C1 or whatever the most current model is now. It's only 15 watts but it can be a loud 15 watts.

Greenmachine likes this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

I will offer this bit of advice from a friend of mine who played a Mesa Boogie half stack :eek: in church: point it toward the back wall to disperse the sound evenly around the room. It works wonders. You may have to boost your high-end a little to compensate.

13. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Peavey Classic 30. Great church amp. Reliable, they sound great and will definitely do the job.

Les H likes this.
  14. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Well, been down this road, and currently use modeling products direct to the board with a personal monitoring system. I use Helix; but, that is not an amp. However, I have used that (or a Pod Pro) as an input to a Genzler Acoustic Array Pro and that combination has worked fine. All of the tones are in the Helix (Pod Pro) and the PA functions are in the Genzler.

You could instead use the Kemper, but you need a speaker cabinet. Advantage of the digital solutions is a lot of usable sounds.

If I were using a traditional amp today, it would be the Mesa California Tweed. Because it has great tones and has settings down to 2 Watts, with a decent master volume control. OTOH, that is still 40-50 lb. And any solution to the mixing board would involve miking the amp.

If I were looking today, I’d probably use a Revv D20 with a separate Avatar speaker. Enough power for a small church on it’s own, has direct out with various cabinet and speaker impulse responses for input to a mixing board in a larger setting. In such a setting, the speaker can be used as a monitor.

Milspec likes this.
  15. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Mesa and an Ox...

16. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

why don't you leave the mesa, lock it in the storeroom or something?

17. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

50 watt SS 1 x 12 combo should be more than enough. The chase for tube tone is mostly lost in an echo heavy environment like a church. My Champion 50XL played clean works great in our church. No reverb needed...the walls provide that. Light enough to lug in or cheap enough to risk storing there.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  18. 3-Chord-Genius

I stopped getting obsessed with church guitar gear - each week is basically a 4-song set, 20-minutes max. It's not like playing a three-hour gig in a night club. I went from a tube amp and a pedal board (enormous pedal boards are popular with church guitarists....) to an all-in-one digital amp head (I use a JTM-45 amp emulation with light overdrive, and built-in delay/reverb) and I don't even use an actual speaker cab. I use the effects send as a line-out into a DI box, straight to the P.A. It sounds pretty freaking good and I can carry everything in from the car in one trip. I just set the thing on the floor of the stage next to me, and put the footswitch in front of me.
    [​IMG]

19. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    Right off the bat, you won't get any more headroom with a 5e3 circuit. Those are made to be cranked. You can't go wrong with the deluxe reverb. It should have plenty of headroom and is a great pedal platform for anything you throw at it. You can get a reissue or (what I recommend) get a silverface one for the hand-wired option. Point-to-point amps/handwired amps are so much more reliable than the modern PCB ones. The fender handwired ones float around 2,200 and you can get a silverface one right now for 1,200. But if that´s too much just buy a katana. Those are great amps and no one will tell the difference. But the bottom line is, buy what sounds good and that inspires you to play.

20. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Deluxe reverb or a 5f6a Bassman.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.