Amp rattles when I play c#??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by petemoss41, Jul 21, 2011.

1. petemoss41

petemoss41 TDPRI Member

I was wondering if you guys can help me. I am not much of a gear head.
    I have a fender hot rod deluxe. When I play a C# note, my amp has a loud rattles, it almost sounds like chimes. Pretty high pitch. I have no idea what to do...Also when I play a B note there is a bit of a gurgling? noise.
    Do you guys have any idea what the problem may be?
    I dont have much knowledge of tube amps.

2. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

Could be a tube going microphonic. Try tapping each one gently with a pencil and see if you can replicate the noises.

My DRRI did the same thing and only on certain notes. I ended up replacing the stock Groove Tubes power tubes for a pair of Tung Sols. Cured the problem.

3. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Sounds like a tube to me. If it is then you will want to isolate it and replace it--trial and error. Depending on how old the amp is, it may be a good time to re-tube. If it is a cabinet rattle, then get some thin foam weather stripping with adhesive and make sure the back panels are stripped with that on the interior to dampen any rattles.

4. petemoss41

petemoss41 TDPRI Member

If it is the tubes, how much does it cost to replace them?
    Can you tell this is my first tube amp? :)

5. guitar1amp2000

guitar1amp2000 Tele-Meister

What kind of amp is it? It may be something else besides a tube. On tweed style amps, the screws holding the chassis in place can come loose causing the chassis to move so that the back panel vibrates against it. I've had this to happen more than once.

6. petemoss41

petemoss41 TDPRI Member

It's a hot rod deluxe

7. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Could be a tube, or something just needs tightening. Could also be some knick-knack or picture hanging on the wall... don't laugh - it's happened to me, and I swore it was coming right outa the amp...

8. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

If it were me, I would try the following in this order:

1. Make sure it's actually the amp and not something else in the room. You can troubleshoot this rather easily by moving it to another room...preferrably far away from the room it's in. If this solves it, great.

2. It could be something rattling in your guitar that is being transferred through the pickups to the amp...you can troubleshoot this easily by trying a different guitar.

3. If the room and the guitar are not at fault then it's definitely the amp. Try the easiest stuff first. Make sure the speaker baffle and/or grille cloth are screwed on nice and tight. Also make sure any other screws on your amp cabinet are tight. Finally, make sure the screws holding on your speaker(s) are tight.

4. If that didn't work, and if you have a reverb tank...try disconnecting the wires going to the reverb tank and see if that works.

5. If that didn't work, then something connected to the steel chassis is rattling. This could be a bad tube, a bad tube socket, or it could be a bad pot, or something else entirely. Sometimes just pulling out and putting back in the tubes works (re-seating).

6. If reseating the tubes doesn't work you've got a couple choices. You can go ahead and purchase a set of replacement tubes, but you'll probably find out that it's just one tube which is kind of a waste of money. OR you could just take it to a local amp tech and he can use some of his stock tubes to figure out exactly what the problem is. He will either narrow down the bad tube (potentially saving you money) or he may find out that the tubes are actually not at fault and something else is wrong, in which case he will need to open up the chassis which is a job for a pro anyway because it contains potentially lethal voltages.

This is not meant to be an exhaustive list, it's just off the top of my head.

JMHO. YMMV.

9. petemoss41

petemoss41 TDPRI Member

Wow
    Thank you so much for your help guys.
    I will try your suggestions hopefully it's something easy!

10. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my advice: tune one of your guitar strings to C# (or apply a capo) so it's easier to keep that note going while you chopstick everything in the amp. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.