Amp Prices...

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I was just browsing through a Canadian (Toronto based) music store and checked out two amps that I have to see what's happened to the prices since I bought them between one and one and half years ago. I bought a Fender 64' Custom Hand Wired PR in the early part of 2020, and paid $3000CDN for it. That was the going rate, if you could get one, at several of the area stores that sell them.

In the fall of 2020, I bought a Fender 57' Custom Deluxe for $2800 from a different store, and that was the going rate, again, if you could find one, across Canada. Today, those same amp prices have and have not changed. The 64' PR is now $3250, an increase of $250. However, the 57' Deluxe is the same price now, as it was in 2021.

What have you folks noticed in the prices of amps, etc? I also cruised through Mark's Guitar Loft, and his prices on 2021, 2022 R9's remain the same as they were in 2020, at $5500US. I find this curious given the supply chain issues.

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm waiting for this to arrive!
20211225_211445.jpg

Burlington Dave

Friend of Leo's
I was just browsing through a Canadian (Toronto based) music store and checked out two amps that I have to see what's happened to the prices since I bought them between one and one and half years ago. I bought a Fender 64' Custom Hand Wired PR in the early part of 2020, and paid $3000CDN for it. That was the going rate, if you could get, one at several of the area stores that sell them.

In the fall of 2020, I bought a Fender 57' Custom Deluxe for $2800 from a different store, and that was the going rate, again, if you could find one, across Canada. Today, those same amp prices have and have not changed. The 64' PR is now $3250, an increase of $250. However, the 57' Deluxe is the same price now, as it was in 2021.

What have you folks noticed in the prices of amps, etc? I also cruised through Mark's Guitar Loft, and his prices on 2021, 2022 R9's remain the same as they were in 2020, at $5500US. I find this curious given the supply chain issues.

Everything has gone through the roof since the pandemic due to supply chain and manufacturing issues. One of my side hustles is making Christmas character lawn decorations and the 4x8 signboard has gone from $80 CDN to $135.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Everything has gone through the roof since the pandemic due to supply chain and manufacturing issues. One of my side hustles is making Christmas character lawn decorations and the 4x8 signboard has gone from $80 CDN to $135.

I knew wood prices have gone up, and then they apparently started to come down. Not sure where they are now.

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a little Vox vt40x amp that I paid $150 for on sale a few years ago. They listed for $249. Someone on Craig’s list was selling one for $249 used and I checked the new ones out. They’re going for $349 now. That’s just crazy!

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Did you buy your amps at the Twelfth Fret? I have an acoustic in there right now being repaired. A fantastic store. Or more likely Long and McQuade, Cosmo, or Steve's?

I bought the PR from Cosmos. At the time, they were the only store in the GTA that had one. It was still in the box when they brought it out. The 57'Deluxe came from L&M on Bloor. It was a floor model, also the only one in the area. They still have none in stock.

As for the 12th Fret, I am very familiar with them as I live close to Coxwell and Danforth, one major intersection away from them. I haven't been in there since the pandemic started as they are still doing appointment only. I haven't bought much from them over the years (I've lived in the area for 30 years) as every time I was looking for something in particular, either a guitar or an amp, they didn't have what I wanted. I buy strings from them and some accessories, and as they are the best guitar service shop in Toronto, possibly in the country, I have had a couple of my guitars in for set up. They are also the Martin Authorized repair centre in the GTA, not that I have had to use them for that as of late.

The amp tech they give everything to is John Fletcher, who lives south of Danforth off Greenwood, also very close to me. If I need amp work done, I just call him up and drop it off. Great service, and very knowledgeable.

There's nothing I need that I can't get at L&M, which has a location on Danforth, just a couple of kilometres from my house. They don't require an appointment. I don't window shop as there's nothing aside from strings that I need, and i know what strings I want. L&M always has the strings that I want, the 12th, not so much. Fabulous store though. It's like a museum of vintage guitars. I had the chance to play a real CF Martin from the 1800's, made by Mr. CF himself. That was a treat.

Last edited:

Burlington Dave

Friend of Leo's
I bought the PR from Cosmos. At the time, they were the only store in the GTA who had one. It was still in the box when they brought it out. The 57'Deluxe came from L&M on Bloor. It was a floor model, also the only one in the area. They still have none in stock.

As for the 12th Fret, I am very familiar with them as I live close to Coxwell and Danforth, one major intersection away from them. I haven't been in there since the pandemic started as they are still doing appointment only. I haven't bought much from them over the years (I've lived in the area for 30 years) as every time I was looking for something in particular, either a guitar or an amp, they didn't have what I wanted. I buy strings from them and some accessories, and as they are the best guitar service shop in Toronto, possibly in the country, I have had a couple of my guitars in for set up. They are also the Martin Authorized repair centre in the GTA, not that I have had to use them for that as of late.

The amp tech they give everything to is John Fletcher, who lives south of Danforth of Greenwood, also very close to me. If I need amp work done, I just call him up and drop it off. Great service, and very knowledgeable.

There's nothing I need that I can't get at L&M, which has a location on Danforth, just a couple of kilometres from my house. They don't require an appointment. I don't window shop as there's nothing aside from strings that I need, and i know what strings I want. L&M always has the strings that I want, the 12th, not so much. Fabulous store though. It's like a museum of vintage guitars. I had the chance to play a real CF Martin from the 1800's, made by Mr. CF himself. That was a treat.

I used to live north of Danforth off Greenwood myself (Glebeholme then Linsmore) so the 12th Fret was my local guitar store. I have a great guy in Port Credit, near where I work, that does amp repair, builds custom pedals and stereo receivers and amplifiers, Marisio Misarere. His company is called M2 Circuits. He's young, but brilliant, and a helluva guitar player.

BobTheOwl

Tele-Meister
Prices in the Uk have gone through the roof. I got a 68 Custom Deluxe reverb for £981 in January 2020 - they're now around £1150. At the time i did consider the AC30, i don't think the prices of those have changed much in the last couple of years.

Inflation is high over here at the moment, so it's to be expected i suppose.

I hark back to the days not many years ago when i picked up a nearly new MIM standard tele for £275 and a used roadworn tele for £450 on eBay.

scelestus

Tele-Afflicted
It makes me very glad that I truly have every amp I'm ever going to need for any situation. My amp needs have been fulfilled and there hasn't been any other amp on my want list for a long time now. Whew!

I probably have ones I don't need, and it's causing some tension between "cash out now" and "it would be expensive to change your mind later."

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I was just browsing through a Canadian (Toronto based) music store and checked out two amps that I have to see what's happened to the prices since I bought them between one and one and half years ago. I bought a Fender 64' Custom Hand Wired PR in the early part of 2020, and paid $3000CDN for it. That was the going rate, if you could get one, at several of the area stores that sell them.

Looking at item costs over time is only part of the equation. You should also look at your income over the same period. That can help to put changes in perspective.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Looking at item costs over time is only part of the equation. You should also look at your income over the same period. That can help to put changes in perspective.

Well said, Tim S. I'm acutely aware of the little I receive in annual raises as per the rising cost of living. Well said.

Robert H.

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Prices are wild on amps right now. I was looking at mid 70’s silver face PRs. I paid top dollar 15 years ago - $750 - for a ‘75 in excellent shape. They stayed at that price for a few years. Then started creeping up - until recently. They’ve exploded in price - $2500 - $3000. Really?

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
the prices of fender amps have gone through the roof. i remember in the early-mid 00s when a DRRI was around 800 and a TRRI was around 1000. now they are 1600 and 2000, respectively. adjusting for inflation they shouldn't be anywhere near that.

and i'm willing to bet the production cost has either stayed the same or decreased, with the outsourcing of board fab and hardware. the only thing going up would be labor (and we know how great wages have increased in the last 15-20 years, right?).

at this point it's cheaper and a better value to buy post CBS amps and just have a tech mod or work on them. or get a reputable builder to make you a clone.

Last edited:

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
I'm seeing some prices going completely nuts. As the commenter above notes, the prices of Super Reverbs which might have been worth $900 or so a few years ago have skyrocketed. I'm also in the market for a tape echo. On the Fulltone site, the price of the SSTE is now $2000 for one new. Looking at the Wayback Machine at the site, it seems that you could get one from Fulltone for $1300 back in 2016.

Looking at the price guide for secondhand EP-3 Echoplexes on Reverb, looks like a massive climb in price:

Untitled3.png