Amp/Pedalboard Price Ratio

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Grandy, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

I'm often amused by this when I play my Peavey Special 130. I paid 86€ for it. And when I put a couple of pedals in front of it, the pedalboard is worth more than the amp. Did this ever happen to you? And what is the optimal or average price ratio or is there one?

String Tree likes this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

It depends on your taste in amps and pedals I guess.
    But I agree a pedal board with a half dozen nice ones plus a bought board and all the wiring can easily exceed what you might pay for a decent amplifier.

I bought my Mustang lll V2 used at a pawn shop for $100. It's everything I need in 99% of electric guitar situations.

I paid more for a Fulltone OCD.

Something to be said for the modeling amps.

Bill likes this.
  3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

The reason is in part is that it apparently takes the same amount of time and I think more components to make a pedal.

I love pedals. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obsessed and RetroTeleRod like this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think it’s probably pretty common even with more expensive amps particularly amps without effects for players who have a pedal board.

The counter balance would be relatively expensive tube amps that have spring reverb and tremolo. That’s eliminate 2 pedals right away.

I got my Orange tube amp new and most of my pedals were bought used or using various deals/discounts and the pedal board is still more expensive. The amp was a one time big purchase though whereas the pedal board was 3 years of occasional smaller purchases.

String Tree likes this.
  5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

considering I bought my amp for $50, this ship sailed long ago

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i think that's the big factor in how that happens. people have an extra $50-100 to spend on pedals a lot more often than they have new amp money.

that being said, my amps have always costed more than my pedal board. pedals are the seasoning... you shouldn't spend more on seasoning than you did the whole meal

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

The ratio is whatever you feel comfortable spending. Putting a Marshall double stack behind a simple OD pedal, or putting 20 pedals in front of a Monoprice amp are 2 ends of the same spectrum.

8. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Depressingly, I would say I've got about equal investment in both and I got my Boogie Mark V:25 new and traded an acoustic towards it. Way too much money tied up in gear for someone who plays as poorly and sparingly as I do...

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don’t have any boutique amps, or even GAS for any. Best amps I own are a DRRI and a Vox AC10, and various cheapos. I have two pedal boards at the moment, and if you included every pedal I ever bought, or even my big board at it’s peak, those two amps, new price, would be less than half the cost of the boards.

There are no rules in doing things creatively, so why worry about what you spend or on what? The adage that playing electric guitar should ONLY chain as “brain-guitar-vintage tube amp” is kinda silly. Play through whatever you want, however many effects you want, within your means and with lots of practice of course :)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  10. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

No pedals here...

String Tree likes this.
  11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yep. 40+ year old Bandit I keep going back to, despite having tube amps, stacks and rack mount rigs in the past.

12. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

About even here. A new DRRI with 6 pedals in front (including 1 tuner). Only one Strymon, but a couple of Wamplers that were close to $200 each. Of course I bought more than a few other pedals before I settled on the ones on my board.

13. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

My first electric guitar was a used cheapo Japanese model ... A new set of strings or a strap was worth more than the guitar ..

Shuster likes this.
  14. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

It would make sense that those buying expensive amps, would also buy expensive pedals. Ten pedals of let's say 200, would make it 2000 plus the board and power supply. That's more than a new Twin. You could buy cheaper fx though. If you have a boutique amp worth 3500 and put cheapos worth 35 in front of it, it would make one huge pedalboard. :lol::lol::lol::D:D:D

I wouldn't have a problem using cheap(ish) pedals with a Boogie, if they sound good. I would feel silly using a bunch Chase Bliss pedals with my PV though. Someone could just pull it of the board and put in his pocket when I wasn't looking. That'd be bye bye to the pay for the whole band.:cry::cry:

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have about double the investment in pedals over the total of my 3 tube amps combined. This started early for me with a loud clean Fender 6L6 amp for surf music, then as my music interest evolved, I started building a pedalboard from there. Having a clean platform seemed the best economical way to go. As the pedal golden era arrived, I was and still am convinced that this was a better direction for me. Pedals add so much more potential versatility, and when at home, I can play a cranked "amp" at much lower volumes. The amp emulation pedals of today are fantastic, so in the long run I think I saved a bundle.

Caveat: I live off the grid with limited electricity, so push/pull amps are reasonably out of reach for me anyway, but I see the direction I took as a good thing regardless.

16. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My amps are stored in another country. So I currently put an overdrive pedal that’s worth about the same as my Mustang III v2 in front. However, the ratio was different when I used that pedal with my original, near-mint ‘66 Deluxe Reverb.

17. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I have never been a big fan of pedals to begin with and feel one can get everything they need with no more than 5 pedals with a good amp. I think if the pedal costs far more than the amp, you may have the wrong amp to begin with.

18. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

About all I use is a Boss ME80 and even then pretty sparingly if at all. Something about that old Soldano Decatone or the Kustom Double Cross seem to hold up pretty well on they're own. Its that modified $15 dollar First Act I usually play that has folks scratching their heads.

19. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I have $1400 invested in 2 amp heads & 4 speaker cabs. I have $3200 invested in 2 boards w/power supplies & 11 pedals.

Obsessed likes this.
  20. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

My ratio is pretty much 1:1 if I'm remembering the prices I paid for everything correctly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.