Amp or ? For a Hotel Room - Practice.

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by SamIV, May 15, 2020.

1. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Simply ensure that all your business trips are to Germany, then stay at the nHow hotel in Berlin. You can order up a guitar and amp from room service.

Rowdyman likes this.
  2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Mooer Radar and a pair of cheap monitor headphones.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The answer is staring you in the face OP. Even. Ones with wireless transmitter do you eliminate guitar cable.

Sounds amazing. I have and live a THR and a MicroCube. Haven’t touched either since I got the Waza Headphones.

Even those amps tiny are too loud for hotel rooms. But the Waza headphone amp is amazing. I don’t find it expensive for what it is And does.

adamsappel likes this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Every amp thread, no matter what the premise is, somebody says "You need a Twin Reverb". I have not seen that reply in this thread (maybe I missed it?). Then there are pile-on-ers that say "A Twin sounds glorious at low volume. Just use a pedal for dirt!"

I am sure they make a suitcase that will fit a Twin, right? And there is no chance housekeeping can carry it away. So win-win?

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, it just cracks me up how "Twin Reverb" is the answer to every amp question.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    nicknklv, MilwMark and bgmacaw like this.
  5. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Last summer I used a Zoom G1 Four with headphones for a month. Good sound (I thought), with a built-in drum machine and looper. Very compact, which makes it great for travel but not so great for live performance. US$80 new.

6. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

I have a Radar inbound. How would that work without a preamp?

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I spent a year living in an apartment in another country. Mostly used a Squier Strat into Garageband in my Mac laptop. Sounded fine and easier to use and more versatile than separate amp and effects pedals. If I didn't want to use my earbuds I plugged it into the stereo in the living room. I guess I don't understand what the fuss is about.

MilwMark likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It has a headphone jack. Just plug your heaphones of choice (good quality closed ear headphones work the best, cheap earbuds are awful). When mine worked, I used the headphone jack for headphones when I used them and I used the output into a mixer when I wanted to record or use a speaker.

20200607_140705.jpg

9. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

I mean how does it sound with only a power amp section and no preamp?

10. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Roland Cube 30, has various classic amps, and can sound great at home volumes. Good value on the used market.

YMMV

11. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Totally agree with everything in your post.
    I am currently in an apartment and have to keep the levels down.
    Tele into a Scarlett Solo using Garageband on my Imac.
    I'm using a pair of M Audio speakers.
    When I want to do some jamming I pull up a backing track from Youtube and play away.
    Garageband has some really nice amp sims and you can tweak away to your hearts content.
    I can play at really low levels and my M Audios sound great.
    I've tried small amps etc,but I really like my setup now.
    I bought a THRII last week thinking that would be a good living room amp.
    I did not like it,returned it and then realized I had what I needed all along.
    I can sit at my computer desk and play away with my guitar right where it should be.
    Sitting in the middle of the stereo field.

Bill likes this.
  12. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

I just tried it and you really need to pick up a preamp type pedal like the Joyo American Sound to put in front. Lots of these type of pedals for under $50. It too hollow for my tastes without a preamp. I'll continue to tinker with the parametric EQ to see if i can find something usable and update. If you play anything other than light gain it doesn't work at all without a preamp or boost pedal. For cleans i think its "okay" in a pinch.

13. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

I travel lots with my job so have stayed in a fair few hotels over the years.

I used to use a Korg Pandora and a set of head phones. Then I upgraded to a Blackstar ID 10 with a set of headphones. Got some nice tones.

I also used a headphone jack to headphone jack cable from my phone or iPad so I could play along to tracks.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

14. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Well I sold the Vox VT 20 I picked up. It was quite noisy. Picked up a Boss GT-1 used at a fair price. Tweaked it sounds passable through my earbuds. Ordering some headphone and going to bring my small monitors next time I go home.

I am more of a plug and play guy, but the GT-1 is easy to get passable sounds with minor tweaks and was easy to figure out how to make changes to the presets that were not passable. And I know, pics or it didn’t happen. 8578A67E-26EA-4B7F-8F4C-1861F854D939.jpeg

15. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

I'm convinced no modeler comes with good presets.

16. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Well I have finalized my hotel room stay guitar amp/modeler. If you noticed above I picked up a Boss GT-1 last week and just picked up a Vox AC4TV8 amp like new with the original box today. They sound quite good together at TV volume after tweaking a couple of presets. Bought both here at my out of town stay. Happy camper here. Thanks for all the tips. 60C345A6-2A2F-4107-A73C-223F682717EC.jpeg ADA0EBCA-6812-47BE-BC52-CEBCCD88EBD3.jpeg

LPTyler, Bill and Lef T like this.
  17. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

I have found that anything above quiet talking will get complaints from the hotel/other guests. I use GarageBand on my phone and headphones now, it sounds ok, but it’s very portable!

bgmacaw likes this.
  18. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Maybe change your approach.
    I have an Epiphone Sorrento on loan for the summer. No amp needed at all. It has a natural ring that feels like reverb, and its plenty loud as it is.
    I also have a Grestch semi-hollow that is amazingly gratifying unplugged. A bit difficult to replace though should the maid do a deep clean.
    There's always a thinline Tele!

nicknklv likes this.
  19. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Micro Cube.
    All the power you can use in a motel room and then some.

20. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.