1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp or ? For a Hotel Room - Practice.

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by SamIV, May 15, 2020.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This is my 'gotta play something!'
    Hotel Room kit, Danelectro and Smokey Amp:
    20171024_100812.jpg

koopus, stevemc and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. Johnkir64

Johnkir64 TDPRI Member

Another vote for the Pignose.

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I always take a small rig to hotels...three 100-watt Marshall full stacks. With the (24) 12-inch speakers, I’ve never heard a complaint from hotel management or other patrons...of course, I really can’t hear much of anything because of those speakers, but...

PS—remember to throw the TV off the balcony, too. Since the newer flat-screens don’t have that satisfying “crunch” of the old CRTs, I’ll usually bring my own.

redhaze likes this.
  4. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Boss Waza Air headphones are very expensive, but I have zero buyer's remorse (that is very atypical for me). My practice time has gone through the roof. I used to bring a Blackstar Fly 3 on vacation to Air BnB, but I don't like to practice at any volume in hotel rooms. The Waza Air are the perfect solution.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. dhodgeh

dhodgeh TDPRI Member

Yet another vote for the Zoom - I have a G3 that I picked up for $70, and it handles all my headphone playing needs. Battery powered. I took it and my headphones to a guitar show to audition various guitars I was interested in. Way better than trying to hear what an axe sounded like with all the clamor going on at the time.

D

drneilmb likes this.
  6. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Had a guitar for sale and two people wanted it. One guy offered to throw in an Vox VT-20+, so now I have a practice amp. He had a Peavey Vyper as well, but I found this one sounded better. The headphone out sounds quite good as well. This will do for now. Still interested in the Line 6 Pos Go whenever they are available. Thanks for all the tips. 44C6F28C-72D2-4342-928E-991B0FCECB60.jpeg F4115FEB-29A1-47C5-8569-E8AF5B949267.jpeg

Rowdyman likes this.
  7. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Toes :)

8. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

do you have to be amplified to practice

9. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel Tele-Meister

I use my Traynor Quarterhorse pedal amp headphone out which is not bad. Still kicking my ass for not grabbing an E-band second hand when I had the chance- still want one....

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Roland Micro Cube.

There is none better. It is simple to use, has great-sounding amp models and effects (stereo when used with headphones), and you can inject MP3 or other audio and play along.

Even the original version 1 is an amazing little piece of guitar gear.

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have done a fair amount of traveling with a guitar. A few things I have come to accept:

1. Nothing sounds very good through headphones, even my decent Sony cans that I really like for music. If it has to be headphones, it's not going to sound very good.
    2. A simple rig matters a lot if you're setting up in a different room all the time. So the Fly3 and a cable work pretty well (I prefer the THR10 in every way except size). You're not going to play it if setup and takedown is a pain.

The rig I took with me to Costa Rica last summer was kinda interesting: Joyo AC Tone, Digitech Trio pedal, and a little bluetooth speaker with a 1/8 jack, and the right cables and adapters. The whole mess didn't weigh very much, was easily controllable for volume, and sounded really pretty good. I didn't end up using the trio all that much, but it was cool to have that option around.

If I had money to spend on a rig just for this purpose I would get one of the newer Yamaha THR series with the bluetooth and the wireless options. Guitar, amp, cell phone, done.

You might also consider something like a MFX with amp emulations, maybe the Boss GT-1 would be an option, or I think Hotone makes one with drum tracks onboard? Those are cheaper than a Line6. I doubt you'll find something that sounds better through headphones than the THR10c, if you do let us know.

dswo likes this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

13. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Headphone outs on amps can VARY WILDLY depending on the phones you use. IMO, some experimentation is required, because I've found that a set of phones that sound great with a stereo can sound like doo-doo with a guitar amp out, and vice-versa. The Boss Katana Mini is one of my go-to practice amps. It's small, lightweight, sounds great, and can run on batteries or with the standard Boss PSA-120 9v adapter.

Jlwctn likes this.
  14. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Micro cube all the way

8trackmind likes this.
  15. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

I spent years traveling during the workweek and the best headphone rigs were the Boss GT-1 and DigiTech RP360 with a good set of headphones. You can get like new RP360s for under $100 on Reverb, almost indestructible, fits in a computer case with cord and headphones. This way you retain the pedal type functionality you have at home. They make the RP360XP if you want exp pedal. The GT-1 isnt much larger or expensive, but its very thin. The Boss doesnt do AC or Blackface amps as well imho but its a practice amp, right?
    Note: look at actual measurements for the GT1 as the pictures make it look larger than it is. It is no wider than a 14" notebook pc.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

20191218_120726.jpg

Katana Mini. Clean, Crunch, Brown channels that "overlap", Gain & MV, TMB, versatile Delay circuit. Aux In and Headphones/Rec out. 6 AA bat. $100, shipped, new.

DougM likes this.
  17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's not exotic nor expensive but these Mustang 1s are a swiss army knife of sounds and effects. IMO, best practice amp around. There's a million demos on YT.

The Blood likes this.
  18. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

THR, you choose the flavour.

19. quadtele

quadtele TDPRI Member

I used to travel with one of these. Works great in the airport too!

I just tried it and it still works! PM if you'd like a piece of history.

[​IMG]

drneilmb likes this.
  20. mal883

mal883 TDPRI Member

If you have iOS then is suggest an audio interface and either Mooer GE Labs or THU (Overloud). I run both of these thru an iRig HD2 with Shure SE215 IEM.

I have the Boss Katana Mini, but it sounds like crap with headphones. I only went the iRig Route because of the free software, it’s not that great tbh, but some people like it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.