Amp or ? For a Hotel Room - Practice.

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by SamIV, May 15, 2020.

1. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Going to be living in a hotel for a couple months while working away. Was looking at the Line 6 HX Stomp, but it is a tad pricey. Will probably use headphones or ear buds most of the time. Will have a laptop with me and my iPhone.

Had the Yamaha THR 10C at one time and was not overly impressed. Played my brothers Blackstar Fly and it was ok. I have a Peavey Micro head that has a headphone out, but that would require me bringing pedals as well. Plug and play would be great, but don’t mind tweaking a little. Also considering a Roland Micro Cube. It would be very convenient. I know YouTube is not exact, but the videos sound pretty good.

Good quality headphone playback is important. Some might suggest the new Boss headphones, but I find them a bit pricey. I also have a pair of powered monitors that have a headphone out as well that sound ok. I have never used computer based software such as Positive Grids Bias or AmpliTube. Positive Grids new practice amp would be great, but the waiting list puts that off. What do the experts here suggest? And I play most 70’s classic rock and blues.

**And I am not a fan of complicated**

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    AR Sumon likes this.
  2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Since you have a laptop and iPhone I would look into modeling software on those first.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Depends on how much gear you can and want to haul around. I hate them, but it works alright: Ipad with about three or four different modelers and good headphones. I have a Line 6 interface for that. You should be able to run that on your iphone. If you can take the monitors, I'd just go with the Micro Cube instead, to be honest.

AR Sumon and mycroftxxx like this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

If you’re not impressed with the little Yammie it’s hard to find something more perfect for that situation.

5. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Guess I should have been more informative. Found the headphone out kinda blah.

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Ok. I’ve used mine but not much. It sounds so good very quiet I feel I don’t need headphones.

I also really like hearing an electric both acoustically and through an amp at low volume. Prob just me.

7. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I mentioned the Line 6 HX Stomp, but should have been the Pos Go.

8. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

If you're going to use headphones anyway, the 2nd-generation Vox Amplug 2 headphone amps are pretty sweet. They include reverb, delay, and chorus effects (and tremolo in the AC30 version). They even sound OK through the add-on speaker cabinet.

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I use a Mustang 1 as my headphone amp and I love it. Cost me $60 used. Sounds good in headphones, sounds good in the room, has USB out to computer. With the Fuse software you can program any effects or sounds you want. Great versatility, light and very portable, and super-great value for under $100. Obviously it's not a performance amp, but as strictly a headphone practice amp, its great.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  10. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

Fender Champion 20. Lightweight, small footprint, sounds authentic, simple to operate.

Authentic. NOT genuine, but authentic.

The Angle likes this.
  11. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I love my Blackstar Fly for the size, sound and convenience. I have the extra speaker for stereo, so it doubles as extension speakers for my iPhone and laptop while traveling.

12. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

I own that setup as well. I found it disappointing. Still have it for patio singalongs, but pretty much unused.

I bought the Fender Champion 20 for my daughter-in-law as a Christmas present. I’m impressed with it every time I play through it. No battery capability, but generally, that’s unnecessary for her and for me.

13. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

I love my Korg Pandora PX4 for working away, small and great sounding.
    I also have the 1st version still going strong after twenty odd years.

fenderchamp likes this.
  14. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Yes me too. I've got the bass version too and both knocking on 20 years, but they might be a bit low tech for the OP.

15. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

What kind of headphones are you using? FWIW I use SONY MDR 7506, and get a reasonably good sound from the headphones out jack.

BorderRadio likes this.
  16. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Vox Adio Air GT.

17. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the Vox Amplug2 Line- simple, has onboard effects and DOES sound good through their matching 2 watt “cabinet”
    Good through headphones as well, and has aux input for backing tracks if you need.
    Several models to choose from, or get a bunch and just swap them out of the cab!
    Here is my rig- got the “blues” amplug2. Just good portable fun!
    P.s. Orange micro crush pretty cool as 8AC1031D-A01C-4686-98BE-8ADF0478032A.jpeg well!!

The Angle likes this.
  18. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

I use a Vox Pathfinder 15 in hotel rooms but I don't use the headphone jack.

RM

19. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

Warm endorsement for the Microcube. Planning to keep mine for good. It sounds great, and is quite versatile imo.
    P. S. The effects are decent too.

8trackmind and preactor like this.
  20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't believe even an acoustic is acceptable for a Hotel Room. You need an earphone device and electric guitar so it can't be heard at all.

68Telebass and bgmacaw like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.