1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp noise

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DW Kleine, Apr 25, 2004.

1. DW Kleine

DW Kleine TDPRI Member

I have a 68 Deluxe Reverb that I just converted from 6L6s back to the 6V6s. I started getting a lot of noise; typical snap crackle pops and hissing that you get from tube amps. I get this noise when nothing is plugged in so I figure it's time for some new tubes. I replaced the first preamp tube because it went micro but I was still getting a lot of noise.

What is wierd is that some days the noise is so load it's unusable for recording and I don't even want to use it for band practice. Then the next day it doesn't make any noise at all. What's with that? Why would this noise be there one day and not the next?

I was planning on ordering a new full set of tubes from Euro Tubes but when I fired it up today it was quiet again.

DW

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Did someone replace the rectifier with a solid-state module? Common with a change to 6L6s, it will cook 6V6s quicksmart!

Check that they are not glowing cherry on the plates! You really need to get the current rechecked - 6V6s won't stand anywhere near the current 6L6s will - the crackling you hear could be the tubes about to sign off.

3. DW Kleine

DW Kleine TDPRI Member

When I first put in the 6L6s I put in a solid state rectifier. When I switched back to the 6V6s I aso switched back to the original rectifier tube.

Do the preamp tubes cause more of the noise than the power tubes, or will old power tubes give you the static also?

4. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

rebias

I'd rebias it.
    also does the crackle go away once it warms up?
    if so it may be the pre amp tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.