amp noise issue: Fender Supersonic

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by ruger9, Jul 18, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

ok, I always get the best guidance here, regarding amp issues...

I have a Fender Supersonic 60 (the newer version) that has been making a weird noise. I have linked a recording of it below... listen close, as it's something that seems to happen on transients. It doesn't always happen. At the last band rehearsal, it happened twice in the beginning of the night, then not again the rest of the night.

BUT it has also gone into what sounds like full oscillation, and I have to standby the amp to "fix" it.

At first I thought it was a bad preamp tube (microphonics), sometimes that happens in loud combos when the tubes are that close to the speakers. But this amp is on it's 3rd set of preamp tubes- these being brand new, and the tubes in the high gain slots are tested for low noise and microphonics (I'm not sure it IS microphonics at this point).

Anyway- again: intermittent, new tubes, oh- and boosting (either with an OD in front or a clean boost in the fx loop) also seems to help it happen, sometimes. AND it can sometimes go into FULL oscillation- not just on transients, but a continuous Squeeeeeeeeeee.......... which flipping to standby seems to fix, at least temporarily.

It's going to the tech next week, just hoping to maybe get some direction to help him know where to start, since the problem is so intermittent...

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Have you swapped the speaker, or OEM? Sounds a little like scrubbing maybe?

3. ruger9

I have... I removed the OEM vintage 30 (which had a slight tear in the surround), and installed an Eminence Red White and Blues (120W), thinking maybe the V30 (at 60W) wasn't quite up to the volume of the amp (60W)...

And if it were scrubbing (cone cry? coil rub?), it wouldn't go into a constant noise, even when not playing...

4. Musekatcher

Is the RWB new? I'm not hearing the constant noise, more of a 1 second static after a hard attack, like at the beginning of a bloom. Does it worsen with a swell, like swelling with the volume knob? I had a vc scrubber, that did that. What about a cab buzz? It sounds like something happening after amplification, not circuit related to me.

5. ruger9

The RW&B isn't new, it's been in there at least 6 months, with loud band rehearsals. No, on the recording it's not a constant noise, but it turns into one, I just couldn't get the amp to do it when I made the recording. It's as if that noise you are hearing in the recording is a warning that the amp is about to "lose it"- at rehearsal (and at a gig!), this happened, and finally the amp said "screeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!' I had to put the amp on standby and back to get it to stop. This happened 3 times at the beginning of the last rehearsal, then not again all night. When the sound goes constant, I'm not even playing... the speaker isn't moving. It's got to be something in/on the chassis (not the speaker)

6. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

Just curious - does this issue happen with different guitars? Perhaps lower output pickups would not exhibit this problem (although you mentioned boosting the signal makes the amp oscillate). In any case, looks like an issue with the amp. Hope you get it sorted out.

7. ruger9

It happens with 2 different guitars, I don't think that's an issue.

8. Musekatcher

It doesn't sound like tube whistle, but it could be a microphonic tube, or a tube that needs a damper - you are playing really high gain for a supersonic, and the RW&B might be higher efficiency, as in more volume and vibration than designed?

9. ruger9

Well, I tried removing the metal tube cans and using o-ring dampers (altho due to the tube cans mounts, I could only use 1 per tube), and it made no difference. I put the cans back on.

As for the "too loud" thing... yes, I have thought of that. Too loud/tubes too close to speaker... which would be a damn shame, because volume is the entire reason I bought this amp- I have a SS22 that I love, but needed something with more headroom for my band. That's why I bought the SS60.

10. Musekatcher

Well I'm out of ideas. Coincidentally, I was playing a VT50 at near full volume yesterday (got home early, neighbors had two big mowers going), and noticed...a similar sound! I finally noticed it was coming from the onboard effects as part of the presets. I switched it to manual mode, dialed in several Marshall models, and it disappeared. Do you possibly have an effects in the chain, that are turned off or down, or you *think* they are turned off, but could be leaking some distortion?

11. MusicCityGrooves

MusicCityGrooves TDPRI Member

The original output tubes in my SS22 developed a mechanical rattle not long after I bought it. I thought it was a cabinet buzz at first, but I was able to isolate it. Replacing the output tubes fixed it and it hasn't come back.

Since toggling the standby gets your issue to stop, it seems like it must be an electronic issue, so swapping out those tubes may be worth a shot.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  12. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

My guess is it's a tube problem. 90% of tube amp problems are a bad tube.

13. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

I had the sweetest sounding ge12ay7 in my 5e3. I could watch the getter rattle as I played an E note. Drove me crazy. Bye bye 12ay:(

14. ruger9

I happens without anything plugged into the loop.

All-new tubes; the preamp tubes are the 3rd completely new set I've tried.

BTW- I also had a rattle with my 22, it was the tube cage- I removed it and the rattle disappeared.

All new tubes, for the 3rd time in the preamp slots.

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I was also thinking it was microphonic preamp tubes like you thought at first.

Question: do your guitars have metal covered humbuckers?

16. ruger9

No. 1 tele, 1 strat with an uncovered HB in the bridge

17. Musekatcher

the SS22 and SS60 are on my watch list, so I'm interested in the resolution. Hope its something simple like a microphonic preamp tube.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.