1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp kits

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Stringbender.dk, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Stringbender.dk

Stringbender.dk Tele-Meister

Hi,

I'm new here on the forum and have asked this question on some other threads... This must be the right :confused:

I'm looking for a amp kit. I want a high powered tweed twin amp.

Do some of you guys know where I can get the best kit?
    Do you got some advise about who is selling the amp kit with the best components?
    I would like a reverb to it. "add a verb" as they call it on the Weber website.

I have been looking on Weber, TAD and Mojo. The looks the same to me...
    It's not myself that is going to built it. I would just be killed... :lol:

Thanks,
    Flemming

2. guitar1amp2000

guitar1amp2000 Tele-Meister

I have built kits from Weber and Mission. Weber offers a high power twin. One thing to look out for with Weber; his components are not always top of the line. I have found that his tubes are unbranded Chinese tubes of low quality. On one project, a5G16 (Reverb), some of the screw holes in the chassis did not accommodate the screws. It was minor, but added to the project time. He also does not include any detail instructions, only a schematic and a physical drawing. Good luck.

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Another way of going about it is to put together a kit yourself with the parts you want. You can email Mojo and they will send you a parts list. No one had all the parts I wanted in a kit so I just ordered the parts I wanted from different vendors. Might spend more on shipping but you get exactly what you want.

4. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I take it you're referring to the tweed "high power Twin?"

High power tweed is 80 watts. With reverb, you might as well build a BF Twin Reverb. The tweed's are too many and all different, but the major difference between them and BF Fenders is tweeds have more midrange, where BF's have more sparkle.

If you are sure this is the amp you really want, it depends on two things: cost or quality.

As far as kits - the best quality is likely Mojo (www.MojoTone.com). Best cost is Weber.

If this is your first build, I would suggest building a cheaper Weber (maybe a Champ or 5E3 tweed Deluxe) before venturing into an expensive (and slightly more complicated) high powered tweed Twin.

As far as Add-A-Verb, I'd probably just recommend building a clone of the Fender 6G15 standalone tube reverb unit.

5. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

6. Stringbender.dk

Stringbender.dk Tele-Meister

Thank you very much all of you ;-)

Yeah I'm pretty sure that it is a tweed twin I want. I like that extra midrange they got.
    I'm not going to build it myself. I know a guy that does it for living, so he is going to make it for me :)
    I think I'll choose the Mojo kit then. I go a feeling of the quality is better...
    I'll make a contact to TAD and hear where they got the amp kits from. If it not are Mojo kits, I can get it from Allparts in UK...

Thanks again for your help :)
    Flemming

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.