Amp kit compared to the real thing

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by lalagaga, Feb 5, 2021.

1. swaptronics

swaptronics TDPRI Member

You can get a much better amp by building one yourself. Mojo sells the best cabinets and some pretty good kits too. I buy components and put together amps myself. I don't build tweed champs anymore because for about the same price you can build a tweed princeton (around $575). A tweed princeton has a larger chassis that is easier to work with and sounds better because the 8" speaker isn't crammed in a tiny enclosure. Use a good 330-0-330 V PT and a vintage 5Y3GT rectifier and F&T filter caps. You can build a tweed princeton for around $575 with a WGS 8" speaker that will sound as good as a $1,500 boutique build. Champs and Princetons are simple single ended amps that are pretty easy to build. The only problem is, once you get started building your own tube amps, it is pretty hard to break the habit--fun hobby indeed.

2. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

What? When was that ever the subject? And amps can be built for less than they cost... I’ve proven that now multiple times through multiple means...

A Fender Champ costs $1,000. Someone can buy a kit, assembled by Mojo for $825. That is less than the Champ costs. The kit costs $500. That is also less than $1,000. If someone can’t figure out how to use a soldering iron or read a schematic, then why would they be considering building an amp in the first place...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    OldPup likes this.
  3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Yes they can. The odds that someone with zero experience in building amps being able to do that? Very low odds. Remember, this question was asked by someone who has never built an amp before. Its easy to forget that when you are too busy trying to dunk on someone. Anyone.

4. jdw3

jdw3 TDPRI Member

I bought a tweed champ kit from Mojotone. It was on sale for $450.00. I honestly can't say an amp like that would be worth much more. Never compared it to a real Champ, but it sounds great. I would never pay $1000.00 for that simple amp.

5. jbensaab

jbensaab TDPRI Member

Here's a pic of the Mojotone 5E3 I put together

IMG_0631.jpg

JuneauMike likes this.
  6. Ric5150

Ric5150 TDPRI Member

I normally just lurk here, but this touched on one too many topics to ignore....

A friend from work built a bunch of amps from kits over the years. Got into RC airplanes, though, and when he retired, he wanted to get down to one amp and two guitars to make room for planes. He sold me several of his builds for less than he had in them because he knew I’d appreciate them. That’s how to really save money on amps. :cool: (I also got really good deals on a few vintage Fender amps and a couple guitars while he was cleaning house.) Try to choose your ‘addictions’ wisely and then stick with them. :twisted:

I’m an electrical engineer (as was he). Knowing all the math in the world won’t get you any magic - probably makes it less likely, in all honesty. Trying things and really listening is where the magic comes from.

On the topic of printed circuit boards (not addressed in what I quoted, but discussed elsewhere in the thread), I design radio frequency and microwave hardware, sometimes on circuit boards. There’s no inherent reason why audio can’t be done really well on printed circuit boards. Doing it both well and cheaply might be a problem, and most manufacturers tend to favor the latter. Don’t blame the circuit board, though, blame the designer - or at least blame the company putting the limits on him/her.

Dive in and have fun. I’m usually tired of fighting with electronics by the end of my workday, so these days, I’d rather treat an amp like another instrument rather than a circuit. Maybe when I retire. For now, I have another retired friend who’s into old radios, and if my amps need anything, he enjoys seeing what’s inside guitar amps too much to want to charge me anything, but I make him take a little something, at least.

Just remember to be careful (and stay careful) with high voltages. You don’t have to try very hard at all to hurt yourself really bad if you lose respect for them. The “hand in pocket rule” is “Put one hand in your back pocket and make a fist.” That way you won’t absent-mindedly grab on with both hands and complete the circuit through your chest. You do need to be wearing pants, though....

NTC and JuneauMike like this.
  7. JuneauMike

You obviously have friends in high places. I'd gladly buy an amp built by a few people who lurk around here.

I wish I had the electronics knowledge to look at a circuit and have a rough idea what it will sound like, but failing that you can still build an awesome amp from parts and a schematic. I will say, of all the mistakes I've made I have never shocked myself. Knock on wood.

8. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

I'm all for "the real deal" especially compared to PCB construction in general, but I think this Reissue sounds amazing.

These are commonly available used for around 300-400 bux. There are some reasonable kits to convert to handwired.

zeke54 likes this.
  9. Dan_Pomykalski

If the OP said this is their first build, it was after you claimed there were no cost savings. It’s easy to forget that when you are too busy trying to twist your own words to save face.

10. JuneauMike

Send the guy $100. If he comes in on budget, he can send it back. If he goes over, then you can help finance the overrun. That way you got something besides your mouth riding on your own foolish advice.

11. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

About 8 years ago I got the bug to build an amp , I didn't have a Champ yet so the 5F1 seemed a good place to start . I don't remember who sold the kit , probably a lesser known company as I wanted to save a few pennies . I had used a soldering iron many times so I wasn't worried about that . I worked on it slowly , and as some of the instructions were sketchy I referred to an online site for help . I'd work on it on my day off , going slow , trying to avoid cold solder connections , and all told it took me about a month . I had a tweed cab made in the dimensions of a Blues Jr. so I could use a BJ cover , and to put in a 10" speaker . I had bought some vintage tubes on Ebay ( vintage is always better , right ? ) It fired up the first time ... all was good ! I had never played a Champ and yes , it was glorious ! I made the amp mainly to satisfy myself , I think the kit cost about $300 , the cab about $200, Weber speaker $75 , vintage tubes maybe $70 , chassis was about $25 . Did I learn what makes an amp tick ? No , not really but it was time and money well spent !

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  12. Dan_Pomykalski

It’s not just my mouth... I’ve presented you with a bill of materials, links to various options, and examples from personal experience. If anyone’s mouth is riding on foolish advice, it’s yours. Discouraging people who may be considering building an amp for the cost saving benefits, just because you can’t admit you were wrong. It’s okay to be wrong, just admit it instead of digging yourself in a deeper hole.

13. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

If you can afford it, buy it. Instant happiness.

14. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

This is just my opinion. If you can build it successfully, it will compare favourably to Fender’s 57 Champ reissue. Use a great speaker and it may even sound better.

However, the fun in all this, for me at least, is when you get to the point in which you can draft up your own bills-of-materials for your builds, with your own component choices, from scratch. This does bring up your shipping costs, but picking the ingredients for your recipe is something I find rewarding, because you can end up with something that’s completely unique that you can call your own.

My Champ is schematically a 5F1 circuit with a choke. It sounds nothing like a tweed Champ, but it’s an amp I can’t get enough of. I love it.

JuneauMike likes this.
  15. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow , you gave that PJ a workout , really great playing !! I have a first generation tweed PJ ( before they lacquered them ) I've had since 2003 . It was my main gigging amp for about 8 years ( band broke up ) . Mine had a sweet spot around 6 or 7 . Mainly played bars but miced it for bigger halls , really one hell of an amp !! I'm not sure that the Pro Jr. is a " reissue " , I think they came out around 1993 and have been in production since . Really enjoyed your clip !

16. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Wrt this post ... I wouldn't recommend anyone attempt an amp build if they don't already own a multimeter (and are very familiar with usage of same).

On the subject of an amp build kit .... I also wouldn't recommend it to anyone who does not have consistently good soldering ability.
    Many posts on TDPRI of the innards of amps and guitars, show sub-par soldering (to be polite). There's a direct inverse relationship between soldering quality and faults.

JuneauMike and palethorn like this.
  17. palethorn

palethorn TDPRI Member

I never played any of the Champ versions, reissue, clone or otherwise so I can't advise you which one I prefer. But I can tell you about my experience of building a clone. There are not quite available here where I live for a reasonable price. So I decided to build my own. I had some experience with electronics before, so it wasn't that difficult for me. All that's left for me is to build a cabinet, and I don't have much experience with woodwork, but nevertheless, I'll try. It was a fun learning experience where I ended with a perfectly functional, point to point hand wired, and good sounding amp for ~$550. Ordered the kit from boothill. Transformers, tubes and speaker I ordered separately. What I can tell is:
    - You'll save some money, but lose some time on building the amp
    - I now know how every component works so I can service the amp on my own
    - The components are good quality, I can replace them with even higher quality ones, not that I want or need to
    - You can mod it yourself, if it's 5F1 you can add a tone control, or a variable NFB loop

18. alexwilds

alexwilds Tele-Meister

No two tube amps sound exactly the same; differences in tubes, bias, speakers, cabinet solidity, condition of resistors and capacitors, etc., all affect tone. That said, a well built kit sounds as much like the real thing as another real thing.

lalagaga likes this.
  19. alexwilds

alexwilds Tele-Meister

Regarding building an amp, I built a Mojotone 5F2-A Princeton (pictured on the left) in a few evenings for about $300. I enjoyed it so much a built a Pro and a Deluxe and then a Champ. To keep costs down I buy junk ($15) solid state amps for speakers, hardware, maybe a chassis and a few parts, and build my cabinets (I am a carpenter). Not too much money, a lot of fun to do, and they sound great. I learned all I know from Uncle Doug on Youtube.

20. JuneauMike

Said the guy who has experience building three amps. You are proving my point, as well as demonstrating poor reading comprehension skills. At no time have I discouraged anyone from building their own 5F1 Champ. If you have zero experience working with electrical circuits you can build a really nice Champ. I'm just not blowing smoke up his rear about it being a cheap hobby, or project for that matter.

So, I'm guessing you aren't sending him the money? :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.