Amp just died. Found a cockroach inside... help?

Jalpow

Tele-Meister
Hi all,

Just created this thread to see if I could get some advice on what to do now.

I have a Blues jr iii and when turned on all i get is a cracking fire-sort-of sound out of it. This increases as I turn the volume up and engage the fat switch. It had been working perfectly fine just a few hours ago.

All the tubes are glowing a nice amber/orange colour and I only replaced the power tubes a month and a half ago to JJ's.

I opened up the back and wiggled the tubes when I saw a small cockroach scuttling around the inside which I then killed.

Can someone give me advice on how the revive my beloved amp? Is it the pre-amp tubes that need replacing? I haven't replaced them in the year since I've had the amp. Is it possible that the cockroach inside had been feasting on the circuit-board?

Thanks in advance. Greatly appreciated.

Donald77

TDPRI Member
euh, that is Poowey! I would check the inside of your amp first and then get rid of those nasty bugs in the room.

Warm Gums

Friend of Leo's
It's possible that you zapped a companion and shorted across a trace, not likely but possible
It's more likely that you are storing the amp in the humid/moist environment that theCR enjoys and that may be causing your problems..but you really want to clean that out..
I just finished cleaning up a used amp that was pretty mucky, when I dropped the chassis a1/2dozen spider egg sacks were attached, wound not have been pretty in the studio.

Tele Fan

Friend of Leo's
If it's a new amp and you don't have a history of roaches in the house, I'd take it back for an exchange. If not I'd take it to a tech.

Flipped Mustang

Tele-Holic
The "roach" is what makes the tremolo work! You killed it!

Just blew coffee out my nose :)

Seriously, you need to take the amp outside and open it up to see if it's infested. My brother purchased a used, very clean looking laptop which he brought into the house. There had to be 100 roaches hiding inside. They love electronics. When he sent it to Dell to fix it, they returned it with a large red "BIOHAZARD" sticker on the box and refused to work on it.

Jalpow

Tele-Meister
Its odd. My family is consists of a few clean freaks who are constantly cleaning, you wont even catch dust on the window sill.

So you guys are sure the circuits messed and not just a pre-amp tube? Just to repeat, when I turn on all i get is a crackling noise although all tubes light up.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Entirely different that the roach I found in that Blackface Super
I bought in high school.
Amp sounded great, just smelled funny.

DoodlySquat

Tele-Holic
Yes you'll have to buy a replacement roach, I'm sure you can get a good vintage one if you look hard enough on eBay and CL.

toadman

Tele-Afflicted
The "roach" is what makes the tremolo work! You killed it!

old ampegs are a bit different from the Blues Junior. i opened up my 65 rocket to look at the trem and this is what i found:

Attachments

• mouse wheel.jpg
    mouse wheel.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 672

Jim Dep

Friend of Leo's
Stick a Roach Motel inside the cab and seal it back up.....

Maybe they're having an orgy in you spring reverb?

Or, if that dont work... try DECON spray....cause "Ah dont want you livin' with no roaches.."

Unadan

Tele-Holic
That roach, after years of living inside your amp, may have been imbued with great knowledge and wisdom of the inner workings and circuitry of your amp - becoming almost an in-house engineer and technician constantly troubleshooting and fixing internal problems as they arose. He will be missed.