1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp into a recording/mixing board

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Mr. Scary, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

I got a nice Tascam DP24 Digital Portable Studio for Christmas. Without having to hear the amp, BDRI, I'd like to plug from the amp directly into one of the channels on the Tascam and do some recording using headphone. I want to go directly from the speaker output(1/4") on the amp to the Tascam. I believe what I'm looking for is a DI Box..???.. If that's the case the question is, can i get away with using a Passive DI, or do I need an Active DI. Also, if memory servers, the output wired on the BDRI can do 1 8ohm out, or 2 outs for 16ohm.

As this isn't my life's work, I'd like to have so quality, but, inexpensive suggestions on what to use. I'd also prefer to not have to by an acutal atennuator(Weber Mini-Mass etc.) Note: only 1 instrument/guitar will be used at once at any given time.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

This what I'm looking for and what's the difference in these two?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire/PDI-Double-Shielded-Heavy-Duty-Passive-Direct-Box.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-Solutions/SPDI-Passive-Direct-Box-with-Attenuation-Pad.gc

Is the second better with the attenuation switch?

2. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

You need something that can dissipate the power that amp produces, not just a DI box. The amp needs to see an 8 ohm load for safe operation, and the interface will not deal well with having a high current source plugged into it. Either the amp, interface, or both will not survive. Something like the Mesa Cab Clone or similar is what you need, or a sound isolation box to contain the amp's sound.

3. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

4. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

What Clint said about load... it needs a load resistor, reactive load box, or attenuator with 8 ohm impedance, and capable of handling the amps full rated power (and then some, figure 2x for safety).

Then, you need to get that signal into the recorder. You need a DI box designed to handle the higher signal level of an amp output. (Normal DI boxes like the one you linked are designed for instrument-level signal like a guitar or bass.) The Hughes & Kettner Red Box is perhaps the best-established line of amp-output direct boxes. They not only match the amp's output signal to a mic-level input, but provide cabinet emulation that makes the signal sound like a mic'ed-up speaker. Older red Boxes are available fairly inexpensively on eBay. I have one and like it a lot; I use it for silent practice at night, using my recording rig to mix my amp with MP3s to play along.

Some attenuators (the Weber MASS comes to mind) include a line-level output for recording in addition to power-soaking the amp's output down to near-silence. With a MASS, you would not need a Red Box.

The cheapest setup I would use is an older, passive Red Box (eBay), combined with a plain old power resistor, 8 ohm 50 watt (Parts Express).

5. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Thanks for the response Rich! Besides doing the recording, that silent at night practice thing you do is exactly what I'm looking for. I guess I could stick with my Orange Micro Dark, but I was hoping to get the BDRI in the scenario lollol.

something like this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hughes-Kettner-Red-Box-/191787775119?hash=item2ca771348f:g:iCMAAOSwTapV5zDn

although for another $50, i can gdt the new one :)
    OR used from GC
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Hughes-Kettner/REDBOX-Effect-Pedal.gc

If I do have the Red Box, the newer one, i wouldn't need the resistor you mentioned then correct? that just goes between the amp and the recording board, correct?

thanks again guys for the responses.

6. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Problem solved, Scored a Weber MiniMass off Craig's List last night $90, practically new!
    Going to give the direct line out for recording a try tonight. Piping it directly to the Tascam Digital Studio!

Thanks again all for the replies and info!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.