1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp in a pedal

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by sir humphrey, Nov 4, 2016.

1. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Anyone got any suggestions for a good amp in a pedal that covers decent clean and dirty sounds.

I use a Kemper for live running out to the house PA and a powered monitor on stage. My worry is that the Kemper dies on me mid-gig so I'm looking for some back-up.

I need a pedal that will give me a decent amp-sim tone and that can run straight into a powered speaker and do a good impression of an amp + monitor. Something that does a good clean but has an overdriven sound as well.

Anything out there?

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

These guys make a standalone power amp in a pedal, and also make the Ethos: http://www.customtonesinc.com/

Take your favorite OD and feed the power amp. There's someone here that uses two of these, but I can't remember who.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the Tech21 Character Series is tailor made for this. I have the British. I use a traditional tube amp. But it failed once and in 2 minutes I grabbed the British from my "trunk" (a/k/a "boot?) and went right into the board. I missed pushing air behind me, but other than that it was great.

4. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I've got the Blonde (Fender) and the Liverpool (Vox), and they do pretty much do what you want.

5. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I've too have had the Tech 21 Blonde and Liverpool and I can recommend both.

I haven't had direct experience with this one but the "Blueguitar Amp1" is the one I have had some serious GAS attacks for as of late:

6. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

A tech 21 fly rig will give you extra options like reverb delay an od and a boost.

If I was looking for a backup solution, that is what I would go for.

7. sir humphrey

Thanks guys - the Tech 21 Blonde sounds right up my street but - despite my Kemper love - I'm a bit of a traditionalist technophobe so wanted some reassurance that it would do what I want it to do. I'll go for that I reckon.

8. sir humphrey

Just checked that out - looks awesome!

9. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

They are just now taking preorders on a "Brit" and "Cali" model now to add the base model and the Richie Kotzen model already out.

10. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Plus one on the Fly Rig. Clean,OD, boost,verb and delay all in one compact package.

11. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

What about the Atomic Amplifire pedal?

Steve_U1S likes this.
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I use an Ethos OD Preamp and a couple of Ethos power amps into 2, 1-12 cabs. The Ethos OD is extremely versatile in the many ways it can be used. It sports a speaker sim output that would be perfect for running to the P.A. and amp compensation voicing for going into the front of an amp. There are too many options to list here but it is designed to be very adaptable. They make a 30 watt powered version as well. You can use it as an absolutely stellar OD until it needs to become an amp. It has a clean channel that is very reminiscent of my old BF baseman heads. Great BF tone and breaks up nicely. The dirty side is extremely expressive and dynamic. Very Dumble'esque. The dirty channel has a lead boost function that is phenomenally well voiced for the Dumbly lead thing. Great sounding kit. They are worth the money!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  13. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Joyo makes a few pedals like the character series but a lot cheaper.

Georox likes this.
  14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Traynor Darkhorse mini.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.