Amp-in-a-box Pedals

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Now if you want to get really cheap...

behringertubeampmodeler.JPG

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
If you want your sound to sound like the amp the pedal generates, get a super clean SS amp (which is likely something pre or non-DSP). Perhaps try a FRFR. Or go direct to PA.

On the other hand, if you want to use it like it's a pedal into a tube amp just to create "a sound", have at it. It won't be the sound that the amp pedal produces but it might still be a great sound.

Tele-Strat

Tele-Meister
From your experience, how much do amp-in-a-box pedals (e.g. Catalinbread SFT/Formula 55/etc., Lovepedal Tweed Twin, Joyo American Sound, etc.) mask the tone of the amp you're plugged into?

I have a Formula 55 that I sometimes use at gigs with backline amps when I don't know what they're providing or am unfamiliar with what's there. I've used it a couple of times with my PRRI but don't always love what it does to the bass tone.

A friend of mine has offered me a Lovepedal Tweed Twin and suggests that it may be better for me than the Formula 55.

I like the character of my own amps but was wondering if these amp-in-a-box pedals completely mask the tone/character of the amp you're plugged into or if they just add a subtle tweed flavouring (or somewhere in the middle).
I thought this was going to be a discussion about
From your experience, how much do amp-in-a-box pedals (e.g. Catalinbread SFT/Formula 55/etc., Lovepedal Tweed Twin, Joyo American Sound, etc.) mask the tone of the amp you're plugged into?

I have a Formula 55 that I sometimes use at gigs with backline amps when I don't know what they're providing or am unfamiliar with what's there. I've used it a couple of times with my PRRI but don't always love what it does to the bass tone.

A friend of mine has offered me a Lovepedal Tweed Twin and suggests that it may be better for me than the Formula 55.

I like the character of my own amps but was wondering if these amp-in-a-box pedals completely mask the tone/character of the amp you're plugged into or if they just add a subtle tweed flavouring (or somewhere in the middle).
I thought this was going to be about products to go straight into a PA system and not needing an amp altogether.
Anyone have and like using those pedals ? Boss or Line6 for amp modeling ?

Old Smokey

Tele-Meister
I thought this was going to be a discussion about

I thought this was going to be about products to go straight into a PA system and not needing an amp altogether.
Anyone have and like using those pedals ? Boss or Line6 for amp modeling ?

Yeah, an AIAB is not a modeler. They’re really just a subset of OD pedals. Pair them with a cab sim and you can go straight to PA. Depending on the type of sound you are going for, you may also want the power amp to be modeled, in which case you probably want something like the Cab M+ or the Nux Solid Studio.

I have not tried the Line 6 or Boss products, but I can recommend the Iridium (digital) and the Simplifier (analog).

Tele-Strat

Tele-Meister
A friend uses a Helix floor, plays gigs most weekends while putting his gear in his Porsche. No amp … Just barely more gear than the singer..

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
IME, the amp-in-a-box stuff doesn't so much mask the natural sound of any given amp. It's more a matter of if the given pedal works in conjunction with the amp.

The bigger issue (for me) is that the amps I use tend to fall into two sorts of flavors - BF/SF Fenders with scooped mids, or other amps that either have a flatter response, or sort of overt mids. So it's almost like any given pedal has to be designed to work with one or the other, as if it's being anticipated that a specific amp will be used.

This. Eloquently stated, too.

Most of the ones I've played seem to be voiced for a Fender style amp, but it's a question you need to consider before you buy.

Bluego1

Friend of Leo's
Nice! Please update me or send me a PM if you’re not planning to do a new gear day post. Hehehe.

Would love to use it with my external preamps as well!
It’s awesome. Been looking for something like this for a long time (power amp only) and could only ever find the little ehx pedals and, more recently, the Seymour Duncan power pedals, without going up to the $1,000 dollar range. I’ve run a GupTech Vej2 preamp into it, a Hotone nano amp effects send into it, and just now all 4 of my Joyo “sounds” (see photo) into it. All sounded awesome. Essentially zero noise, even with gains cranked (though I do run all my dirt pedals through that 4-cable Noise Reaper above the Joyos in the photo. Makes so much of my gear into an instant tube amp, it’s gotta be the most cost effective thing I own. Back to it.
Lo9gGMG.jpg

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s awesome. Been looking for something like this for a long time (power amp only) and could only ever find the little ehx pedals and, more recently, the Seymour Duncan power pedals, without going up to the $1,000 dollar range. I’ve run a GupTech Vej2 preamp into it, a Hotone nano amp effects send into it, and just now all 4 of my Joyo “sounds” (see photo) into it. All sounded awesome. Essentially zero noise, even with gains cranked (though I do run all my dirt pedals through that 4-cable Noise Reaper above the Joyos in the photo. Makes so much of my gear into an instant tube amp, it’s gotta be the most cost effective thing I own. Back to it.
Lo9gGMG.jpg

Nice!!!!

Do the EL34s color the sound much? I would assume that most of these “power amp” only offerings have a transparent sound which I want but dont mind power tube/circuit coloring, but i still prefer 6L6.

Its cheaper than Fryette power amps, but then the power is just 25w vs 50 and 100.

Its going a few spots up in my wishlist now. Haha

Bluego1

Friend of Leo's
Nice!!!!

Do the EL34s color the sound much? I would assume that most of these “power amp” only offerings have a transparent sound which I want but dont mind power tube/circuit coloring, but i still prefer 6L6.

Its cheaper than Fryette power amps, but then the power is just 25w vs 50 and 100.

Its going a few spots up in my wishlist now. Haha
I think it’s pretty transparent, but I’m no expert in tube amps and the sounds different tubes make, and might not know a truly transparent sound if it slapped me in the face. I do know it’s a good sound to my ear and it punches pretty hard. I mean, you know you’re playing through tubes. Had a Celestion V-30 doing work.:)

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's

I use the Joyo AS an amp in a box as designed. I run it into an amp’s effects return and bypass the pre-amp on the amplifier.

I also use it direct into a powered FRFR speaker or direct to a PA system.

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
I use the Joyo AS an amp in a box as designed. I run it into an amp’s effects return and bypass the pre-amp on the amplifier.

I also use it direct into a powered FRFR speaker or direct to a PA system.

I did this too. It sounds good, just a bit too noisy, but it sounds amazing and great for the money

jimd

Friend of Leo's
I play mine through a DV Mark Micro 60 Jazz—-clean all the time, so the Joyo “Sound” x5 sound like the targeted brand name. If I use them on any other amp, it is as an OD with less concern for the tonal nuance.
I have the Micro 50 and run the American or British Sound pedals straight into the effects loop. I can get very convincing blackface and Vox sounds out of it.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
If you want your sound to sound like the amp the pedal generates, get a super clean SS amp (which is likely something pre or non-DSP). Perhaps try a FRFR. Or go direct to PA.

On the other hand, if you want to use it like it's a pedal into a tube amp just to create "a sound", have at it. It won't be the sound that the amp pedal produces but it might still be a great sound.

Actually my experience doesn’t support this. The Catalinbread DLS definitely produces a Marshall tone from my PRRI just as my 5F6 pedal makes the PRRI a tweed. That’s what the good AIAB pedals do. Granted the PRRI is a clean amp but it’s a great platform for these pedals. Then again I think the pedal designer, Howard Gee, used a PRRI to develop the pedals.
Now I would never put my Iridium through my PRRI. It’s made to go into an interface or PA.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Actually my experience doesn’t support this. The Catalinbread DLS definitely produces a Marshall tone from my PRRI just as my 5F6 pedal makes the PRRI a tweed. That’s what the good AIAB pedals do. Granted the PRRI is a clean amp but it’s a great platform for these pedals. Then again I think the pedal designer, Howard Gee, used a PRRI to develop the pedals.
Now I would never put my Iridium through my PRRI. It’s made to go into an interface or PA.

If someone designed a pedal though an amp that's already coloring a sound, I'd agree for sure. In fact, most of the AIAB pedals are unclear about the intended use i.e. is it intended to make your Fender Blues Deluxe sound like a Marshall OR is it intended to make your Peavey SS sound the same (?). So, in some ways it's a crap shoot I suppose.

I always lean to sending them into a clean amp, but regardless of the above paragraph, that doesn't mean you can't get a sound you love with an AIAB into most any amp. Whether it's "accurate" or not doesn't matter if you like it.