Amp Head Suggestions for Live Shows

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guitarist232345, Aug 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I am on the market for a new amp head but don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

Is there anything like the Marshall MG100H in terms of power and affordability?

FYI- I play loud pop punk styled music so bass is loud and so are the drums, so I will need a lot of power.

I looked into the Orange Micro Terror but hear they aren't powerful enough for some scenarios.

2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Meister

Budget? I take it you have a cabinet?

guitarist232345 likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Showman, Twin modded to a head? ($700-800?)
    Even a good SF Bassman head ($500) may be enough with the right cab. Or a SF Bassman 70 or 100.

radiocaster likes this.
  4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Meister

Orange CR120H (solid state) $450 new
    Marshall Origin 50 $500 new (might need a good dirt pedal because you have to crank it to give up the goods)

Just two off the top of my head for a decent price that could get over a loud drummer.

You can find decent Mesa single rec heads for $6-700. Buddy of mine's band, him and the singer (when he plays guitar sometimes) this is what they play live now.just straight in cranked rock n roll. Only pedal is a tuner.

Bluey and guitarist232345 like this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The CR120 and Origin 50 were EXACTLY the two I was gonna suggest. Origin, as he said, will need a dirt box to hit any real gain levels. It’s a low gain, 60’s JTM style Marshall.

guitarist232345 and swervinbob like this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This. The Orange Crush Pro range fit the bill. Thankfully, they don't share the Marshall reliability issues ( That may just have been phase one models, I blew two examples up )
    Look up Dave Simpson on Youtube for some fine examples of what the CR120 is capable of.

stevemc and guitarist232345 like this.
  7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Rule #1- always, always, ALWAYS buy used.

In the US, the kings of "cheap and loud" are old Peaveys. Fender solid state stuff (like the red knob Stage 185) will do the job too, but you'll need a pedal for dirt. Not sure what the used market in the UK is like, but as others have mentioned, the Orange CR120 should fit the bill nicely.

RhythmFender and guitarist232345 like this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Find a 90s Carvin X100B head, and you'll have 25, 50, or 100 watts of power.

Make sure it comes with the footswitch, because it's a channel switcher with a great reverb. The switch has three buttons (channel A/B, reverb on/off, lead boost on/off). The clean channel is the best I've ever heard from a 100-watt head. The drive channel is super responsive. It also has a pull-on boost for heavy stuff, and active bass/mid/treble/presence controls and a five-band graphic EQ like the 70s Boogies.

These do not have the cachet of Fender/Marshall/Vox/Hiwatt/etc., so they don't command the same high prices. But they were made in the USA and built like tanks.

This version, with the 90s logo. The Tolex version is better than the fuzzy Ozite-covered variety:

[​IMG]

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Quilter Tone Block (based on what I have experience with and you having a cabinet).

guitarist232345 likes this.
  10. guitarist232345

250-500 GBP. I don't have cabs and will rent out backline in the venues. Therefore, something small is also important to me.

11. guitarist232345

So far the front runner is the CR120H and then the MG100H. Preferably, if I can find something small I will (to make moving it easier). Dave Simpson is a legend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.